'93 Polo 1.0 - Hesitation under throttle - MattCourtman
Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I am having with my VW Polo (L-Reg, 1993, 1.05cc, Petrol Engine):

When driving from cold my car hesitates when accelerating, it almost stalls, however it's fine after driving for 5-10 minutes or so when it's warmed up.

This is what I have tried: New Cat, Lambda Sensor, New Oil Filter (and Oil Change), Air Filter, Petrol Filter, New Spark Plugs and Leads, New Distributor Cap, and I have put Wynns Injector Cleaner in my Petrol.

I've also had other things replaced recently (which shouldn't affect this problem) such as Brake Pads, Discs, New handbrake cable and a whole new exhaust pipe.

Can't think of what else to try. so your ideas would be appeciated!

Many thanks,

Matt
slight change to subject line to make it easier to identify model ans fuel. - PU
'93 Polo 1.0 - Hesitation under throttle - MerlinTec
Hi
Is it a hesitation or a misfire? What you have had done sound more like a fix for a misfire. If it hesitation (like you need to pull out the choke on an older car) then I would look more at the temp sensor, the resistance is too low so not putting the choke on (fuel enrichment in modern terms). So next step if it was me would be to change this.
Regards,
Merlin
Thanks for your reply Merlin.

It's definatley hesitation rather than a misfire. I've looked at my Haynes manual and there are two temperature sensors. One goes to the ECU and the other goes to the dashboard, I assume it's the ECU one I need to replace?

One question though, when I'm sitting in traffic for a long period the Fan comes on to cool the engine down. Doesn't this prove that the temperature sensor is working?

Thanks again,

Matt
Hi Matt
I didn't say it's not working just inaccurate saying it's hotter then it is so you have no choke. The two sensors are in one (4 wires 2 wires for each sensor).
hope it helps,
Regards,
Merlin
Hi Merlin,

Have ordered a new Temperature Sensor and should have it fitted either Wednesday or Thursday.
I will let you know how it goes.......

Thanks again,

Matt
Hi Merlin,

I've purchased a new Temperature Sensor direct from VW (Part No: 025-906-041-A) It's got 2 Pins and is Blue in Colour. Cost: £15.35 with a new O-Ring.

I previously purchased a 4 Pin Sensor from Wilco but there were no instructions with it, so I didn't know which 2 went to the Engine Management System and which 2 went to the Dash, so I took it back and got a refund (£11).

I've fitted it myself and will let you know how it goes!

One question: I read somewhere that I need to reset the error codes or something - do i need to do this, and if so how?

Many thanks,

Matt
Hi
you didn't say you had a warning light on so if you don't then you have no error codes to reset.