Motorcycle HID Xenon lights - Fullchat
The headlights on my Triumph Sprint motorcycle cosist of 'Projector' lenses. there are 3. 2x Dips and 1x Main. Each contains 55W halogen bulbs. The Dips are adequate but the main very poor for a machine which is well capable of travelling over double the maximum speed limit.

Anyway I have done some research and found aftermarket HID Xenon kits which can be retro fitted to any vehicle. It consists of a bulb and a Ballast Box which has to be sighted within about 18" of the bulb. There is limited space on a motorcycle. I went for a 6000K bulb which gives the whitest light which is infact blue. They consume only 35W.

I had not heard of these kits before my research. The results - Phenominal.
The Dips look yellow in comparison to the main. A huge improvement in safety because I can actually see what is well ahead which is useful on a bike for spotting debris etc.

The cost £109 for the single unit. Double kits can be had for £155, depending on the type of bulb.
These should be standard fit to all vehicles!
--
Fullchat
HID Xenon lights - Pugugly {P}
I'm almost certain that BMW or Touratech (or both) do a full retro fit for the GS, I just don't do enough night riding.
HID Xenon lights - boxsterboy
Fullchat, are your HIDs self-levelling. I believe that it is an MOT failure without.
HID Xenon lights - Fullchat
Dont say that!! I had to strip the front of the bike down just to get to the bulb. Its the main beam
light so I wouldnt have thought any form of levelling would make any difference its going to blind an oncoming driver anyway if its not dipped. Unless you know something else?
MOT not due for 2 years anyway - heaves a sigh of relief.
--
Fullchat
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
These are Xenon bulbs I guess like you can get as replacements for cars. Self levelling is needed for the "proper" Xenon units - or that's what I thought. Only had one car for a couple of months with Xenon's and not sure I liked them. Better visibility vs. the colour of the light and cost.

Hope it's not too difficult to strip down the bike to replace the bulb though because xenon bulbs do not last nearly as long as normal bulbs - or so I hear.
rtj70 - I think these are genuine HIDs
--
PU without his Mod Hard Hat on !
It is a genuine HID with a ballast resistor to spark it up.
--
Fullchat
HID Xenon lights - machika

snipquote - PU

So how long are xenon bulbs expected to last? This includes the bulbs in xenon units too, I expect?
They give a 2 year warranty on the bulb and ballast.
--
Fullchat
HID Xenon lights - rogue-trooper
so are you going to blind me when you have your main beam on continuously? If so might be best to not do with Xenon!!

HID Xenon lights - bell boy
If you need to go in deep i believe the ballast may have enough short term energy to kill the unwary
"be careful on the streets"
:-)
HID Xenon lights - Aprilia
There's a lot of volts there, but not much current. It'll give you a nasty bite but not kill you.

Officially, an HID unit should be self-levelling otherwise its illegal. AFAIK this is not checked for at MoT though. If you 'blind' a copper and he decides to pull you over then you could be in trouble, so take care that its properly aligned.
HID Xenon lights - runboy
Should xenon headlight units also be fitted with washers?
Should xenon headlight units also be fitted with washers?

>>>>>>>>>
he might have used tieclips
Yes.
HID Xenon lights - OldHand
There has been a bit of misinformation on this thread.

Factory fitted HID lighting systems require headlamp washers and self-levellers

Retrofit HID lighting does not require either. Also a car with them fitted will pass an MOT assuming they are adjusted correctly.

However this is very much a grey area of the law which I think is going to be addressed in the near future. The current state of play is that the Police have harrassed people who fitted these using the threat of the construction and use regulations.

The only really worthwhile retrofit of HID lighting is on a car that already has headlamp washers using an OEM self levelling loom and headlamp units.

An interesting link for you.

www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/convers...l
HID Xenon lights - rogue-trooper
The only really worthwhile retrofit of HID lighting is on a car that already has
headlamp washers using an OEM self levelling loom and headlamp units.

I sort of agree and was why I happily retro fitted HID to my 5 series estate, which came with washers and, like all 5 estates, self levelling suspension which is tied in to levelling the headlights. I seem to have gone through a couple of MOTs without problems.
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
Some might find this useful. In particular the DfT begins by saying:

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern."

And also:

"In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

So the answer is these bulbs are illegal in the UK.

www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
There has been a bit of misinformation on this thread.
Factory fitted HID lighting systems require headlamp washers and self-levellers
Retrofit HID lighting does not require either. Also a car with them fitted will pass
an MOT assuming they are adjusted correctly.
However this is very much a grey area of the law which I think is
going to be addressed in the near future. The current state of play is that
the Police have harrassed people who fitted these using the threat of the construction and
use regulations.

This is 'misinformation'.
Technically retrofitting HID bulbs into standard headlamps without self-levelling and washers is illegal - no question. The Police are correct to 'harass' people.
My mate who is an MoT tester is currently passing these (and there are a LOT about) provided they are correctly aimed, but is warning the customer that technically they are illegal and could be stopped and prosecuted. He's awaiting definitive guidance from VOSA regarding MoT status.
It isn't misinformation. It's a fact that the MOT can be passed with these retrofit units sans washers/levellers.

You'll note the wording on the DOT's website.

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits"

In their view but not in law and I'm not aware of a single case where anyone has been prosecuted. Perhaps you know of one.

At the moment the state of play is very much as I said- a grey area although you would be unwise to use such lighting as I'm sure the CPS could get something to stick on you. Perhaps dangerous driving/negligence if you dazzled another road user and caused an accident?
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
It appears grey when they say "in their view". But they also say this:

"The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK. Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law."

So they say xenon lights even those put on a car at the time of manufacture with washers/self-levelling are in fact also not permitted according to the strict letter of the law. i.e. all HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are illegal in the UK not just the aftermarket ones.

The get out clause for the ones fitted to cars at the time of manufacture which need self-levelling and washers are EU approved so the UK cannot stop these vehicles being sold here. But according to the law they are illegal. Black and white if you ask me.

HID Xenon lights - rtj70
Of course I posted too early. They do go on the say in practice because the EU type approved units in new cars are allowed then the DfT says in practice fitting approved units to existing cars should be allowed providing

(1) the whole headlamp unit is replaced with one that is EU type approved and has been certified as such
(2) self levelling required which can be the sort done via suspension and
(3) headlamp washer required.

If you satisfy all 3 you're okay. But just putting a HID unit in an existing lamp or not having self-levelling or washer then it's illegal.
HID Xenon lights - joc
There is currently one motorcycle with a factory fit HID headlight, the BMW K1200GT. This does not have a headlamp wash system or [I'm sure] a self levelling system. Being factory fit I have to accept it must be legal in the EU, so perhaps for bikes there are slight differences in the law which are not immediately apparent.
I've used an aftermarket kit on my bikes for about 4 years and think they're great but must be well adjusted, and have had no bother with people getting upset/dazzled. Great for safety.
All xenon equipped cars are presumably type approved by er...the DoT or VoSA aren't they ?

I doubt whether the CPS would take a prosecution on, they are not known for their buccaneering adventurism - "Fail Safe" seems to be the Mission Statement !

Anyway I'd defend Fullchat on the basis that on board every bike is an organic and intelligent headlamp cleaning system (known as the rider). Far more likely to clean headlamp glass (and other maintainance issue) than your average car driver.

--
PU without his Mod Hard Hat on !
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
"All xenon equipped cars are presumably type approved by er...the DoT or VoSA aren't they ?"

Reading the DfT website page I'd say probably not. They say they are EU type approved and they just accept that.
Which overrules UK Legislation I suppose (as much as it sticks in craw)
"All xenon equipped cars are presumably type approved by er...the DoT or VoSA aren't they
?"
Reading the DfT website page I'd say probably not. They say they are EU type
approved and they just accept that.

There is not really any such thing as 'DoT or VOSA' Type Approval, and there hasn't been for many years (unless you mean the US DoT). The UK has construction and use legislation, but a lot of it is outdated now and has been superceded by technological developments - hence products are Type Approved to EU standard and this overrides any UK legislation.
to repaeat what has gone before, technically it is illegal to sell or use a filament-type headlamp which has been converted to HID bulb; i.e. any unit with HID bulb in it must have been designed as HID unit.
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
So technically, the OP is breaking the law because he is using the original headlamp unit on his bike that was designed for a halogen bulb. But in reality his bike is probably safer now as he has better forward vision compared to the original poor lights.
not if you read oldhands excellant link rtj70
HID Xenon lights - rtj70
Have read the link and it is good I admit.

It says in nearly all first world countries retro fitting HID bulbs to halogen headlamps is illegal. And it's illegal across all of Europe. The only way to do it is replace the entire headlamp with an HDI one. Which is going to be expensive.

Interesting bit is when he says it is all too easy to perceive the light is better when in fact it is possibly not.

Now I'm looking forward to trying out active headlights ;-) I read the other day the active lights on the new MB C-Class are quite clever as well. e.g.

- on country roads (how does it tell) they illuminate the driver's side more widely and brightly
- on motorways they up their power from 35 to 38 watts and raises the beam slightly allowing you to see 50m further
- when rear fog lights are on the driver's side headlight pivots out by 8 degrees and angles down to provide the best view with least reflected glare
- the cornering mode illuminates the side of the road in the direction you're turning
- and if a bulb fails the unit turns on other lights in the headlamp to compensate

I'm starting to think that Xenon lights improved safety by being brighter. But active lighting is better still. Until it fails outside of warranty.
My RS4 has adaptive (active) headlights and they are pretty poor. I'm constantly being flashed by other drivers who seem to think I'm on main beam or have badly adjusted lights- they aren't.
HID Xenon lights - a900ss
Adaptive lights are sensational. I have them on my S-max and they really do make a difference compared to normal lighting. Note however that my bulbs are HALOGEN, not Xenon.

They bend around corners with the steering wheel, additional lights come on for sharp bends/corners, supposedly they do raise the beam slightly at speed but I've never noticed this.

Also, when you reverse, the OPPOSITE cornering light comes on. IE reverse left and the front RIGHT cornering light comes on to make sure you don;t clip something with the front right of the car as it comes round. Very clever.