New used car needed - scotty
Ok, so after having my Omega written off I need a replacement motor. SWMBO says get something more economical. I don't want to part with more £10K and I would happier if it was more like £7K/£8K.

Being sensible (for once), I'm thinking Mondeo after the major depreciation hit has already been taken by someone else. I like my creature comforts and I'd like to console myself with some leather, so I'm thinking maybe a Ghia X but I'm flexible about that. I'm thinking 2 litre but can't decide between petrol or diesel - I do about 15K per annum. I'm driving a Mondeo 130 diesel hire car at the moment - it's ok but no where as smooth as I'm used to. I've read comments about the long term reliability of the TDCi system.

What else would others suggest? I was distracted by a 2.0T Vectra SRi yesterday - I'm confused! Help me! I even looked at a 3.0 S-Type with 110K on it for £5K and was tempted (divorce looms) - I really need help.

Thanks all.
New used car needed - DavidHM
How about an Accord? Same sort of size and creature comforts as a Mondeo but a 2.2 litre engine which should offer bullet proof Japanese reliabiilty, good to drive and not too expensive, plus less of a "rep" image.

Cargiant has an 04 with 73k miles on it for £9k, fully loaded including sat nav.

You could look at an Audi A6 or Skoda Superb but they have the very good but not especially smooth TDi engine.

Diesel X-Types are within your budget; S-Types probably not unless ridiculously leggy. A late E39 5-Series would be another option and rear wheel drive like the Omega, pretty smooth and over 40 mpg from the manual.

As for diesel or petrol - it depends but probably you're at the sort of mileage where it probably doesn't make much financial difference either way. You'll pay a premium on purchase but save money on fuel so it'll even out. I personally prefer the torque of a diesel so I'd have a diesel but it's entirely a matter of taste rather than economics for you.
New used car needed - The Purifier
Volvo S60 D5 - seen car giant has one for £5995. It's a 2002 model done 75k I think. Pretty good spec and with plenty of creature comforts
Thanks for your suggestions, chaps.

I've driven an x-type and I think I perfer the Ford badged version. What's an E39?

Sorry but Car Giant is just too far south! I'm in Cumbria.
New used car needed - Kuang
The E39 is the 5 series BMW - the model before the current swoopy one, and far better looking too IMO.
New used car needed - OldHand
An E39 is another league to the cars mentioned- really the best car BMW has ever built in my opinion. However it would be a risk in terms of repair costs at 7-8K and insurance and fuel aren't going to be cheap either. That said 8K will get you one of the best ever engines, a straight six with 230bhp and near 30mpg economy overall. Plus these cars still have credibility with the cognoscenti. Of course some will say but it's an old BMW- they are the kind of idiots that buy BMW's for the snob value or on the flipside criticise them and BMW drivers from a position of some considerable ignorance (one suspects it's because they'd really like to be the first type of idiot but can't afford it).

However if I was buying with an eye to what the wife wanted and being sensible then a late Mondeo TDCi with the highest power output you can get is a good choice. In the long run it's going to save you a fair bit of cash despite the potential for much faster depreciation than the BMW.

Either way sod being labelled with an image by people who are most likely the worst kind of losers in their own lives and feel the need to project their insecurites onto others.
Ok - thanks, that's interesting. I hadn't realised a 5-series was within budget.

I'm off to have a look at few cars tomorrow - Mondeos and a few 5-series. I've picked out some 520i and 525d for a closer look. Is that sensible?

Any advice on what to look out for?

Thanks
Les
New used car needed - bell boy
Any advice on what to look out for?

yes dodgy motor traders mate,this country grows them apparently.
Make sure you buy from either a reputable long established same owner place that has done a comprehensive vehicle appraisal and a hpi check or do both yourself on a car of this value,do not leave it to chance and do not be waffled by a third party warranty,if place you are buying from do not do in house warranty work consider going somewhere else.
Obviously someone that sells turnips will be along in a minute to tell you that all this important groundwork is unimportant in GB uk as we have laws and courts which are really helpfull to get you to work on a wet monday morning
New used car needed - OldHand
The 520 is underpowered I'd avoid it if I was you. Why not look at the 530 which is almost as economical considering you will have to thrash the 520 to get it to move?

Likewise a 530D is within your budget albeit a leggy one.
Hi

Well, I drove quite a few cars today. I must admit I tested a 520i I liked. It was a 2.2. Is this one of those you consider underpowered? I must admit it seemed better powered than a 525d I drove.

It was a 2001 on a 51 plate, very tidy in silver with BMW service history in SE trim and full leather with 50K on the clock at <£7K.

What do you reckon?

Les