Loss of power steering Octavia 1.9 TDi - Soupytwist
Car is a 52 plate 1.9TDi 110bhp Octavia (not the PD engine). 85000 miles. Cambelt replaced @ 80,000 miles service.

Was driving to work this morning when, having braked reasonably sharply, I discovered upon moving off again that I had lost power steering and the battery light on the dashboard was illuminated.

A quick check under the bonnet didn't reveal anything obvious and as I was only half a mile from work I thought that I'd drive the rest of the way, which I did without steering assistance. Upon looking under the bonnet again I discovered that the belt which is visible on the left hand side of the engine bay (I hadn't taken the engine cover off) was no longer on its rollers at each end. Is this connected to the power steering pump / alternator? Is it serious?

Thanks

--
Soupytwist !
Loss of power steering Octavia 1.9 TDi - Collos25
You have lost the auxillary drive belt that drives the alternator and the power steering ,you cannot drive very far without it as the battery will go flat and it will probably overheat it needs doing at once.
Loss of power steering Octavia 1.9 TDi - Soupytwist
Drove it all the way to the repairers - about 40 miles ! - without problem. Apparently the bit on the alternator that the pulley connects to had broken so it needed new alternator, new pulley and tensioner. Grand total of £373 fitted. Drove it there on Friday afternoon, ready on Monday afternoon which was good.

--
Soupytwist !