Mondeo 2l 1997 timing belt tension - stuartl
I'm getting in a right state with this timing belt tension!

I'm following the haynes manual advice but the belt tensioner doesn't seem to work correctly. I fit the tensioner but it's almost like the spring is too long. Once the car is running I intend to replace the belt and tensioner anyway even though I was told it was done recently. I didn't want to spend another £50ish if the head refurb wasn't going to work. Any ideas please? I am desperate not to get this part wrong and wave goodbye to my egine.

Thank you

Stuart
Mondeo 2l 1997 timing belt tension - bell boy
on removal of belt it says slacken tensioner key, turn tensioner clockwise, then lightly nip the tensioner bolt
are you doing it the wrong way round? ie anti clockwise?
on removal of belt it says slacken tensioner key turn tensioner clockwise then lightly nip
the tensioner bolt
are you doing it the wrong way round? ie anti clockwise?

the instructions are similar in the Haynes manual but it just does not work. the spring seems too long and therefore does not tension the belt at all
Mondeo 2l 1997 timing belt tension - Galaxy
It's just a suggestion but are you absolutely sure that the correct tensioner has previously been fitted?

As I understand things to be, a silver top zetec has a tensioner fitted with an external spring (which has to be fitted the first time the cambelt is changed as it isn't included in car from factory), black top zetec has spring built into the tensioner and doesn't need the external spring.

From the year given (1997) you have a silver top.

From your description it does suggest to me that you might possibly have the wrong tensioner.

Both cambelt set-ups are pictured in the Haynes manual.

Hi Galaxy, yes I have the one with the external spring but the spring just seems too long. It is hooked on the correct 'peg'. I'm delighted to say I tensioned the belt manually and the car runs fine! Before driving it I will get my local trusted mobile mechanic to do a cam belt change with new tensioner etc just to make sure. The only thing I feel might be wrong now is I suspect the water pump is U/S so have done a seperate posting about that. Thanks to all for advice!