Punto Mk 1 1997 1.2 8v Steering - greatspirit
Mk 1 1997 1.2 8v recently moves to the left when accelerating and to the right on overrun; also on acceleration more resistance turning to right. Had car from new; no bumps; 179,000 miles still on original clutch (despite teaching 2 daughters to drive); no play in steering wheel or track rod ends; tyres ok; brakes checked all wheels spin freely no binding and brakes evenly; steering is ok if I coast in neutral. Any ideas? car goes well otherwise and I am hoping to get another couple of years out of her.
should add NOT power-assisted steering
Punto Mk 1 1997 1.2 8v Steering - Lud
DK Punto suspension but would suspect wear in bottom radius arm or locating arm bushes, probably on the offside...
local garage says its gearbox/differential; does anyone agree with this?
Punto Mk 1 1997 1.2 8v Steering - bell boy
Well you have covered everything so its impossible to say,got to say i cant get my head round the reasoning though
sorry no help really is it
Hi Folks and thanks for replies,
Have changed both front wishbones; steering is now perfect; bought bits from buypartsby; very cheap, genuine parts, prompt delivery; work probably took 4-5 hours.
Tips:
ensure car is well supported (trolley jack under front cross member 2 axle stands (with blocks of wood to protect body) under each front sill jacking point)
the anti-rollbar has to be disconnected (renew bushes if worn)
tighten nuts/bolts slightly before trying to undo them (may need breaker bar)
use rubber grease to ease front bush (chassis) into position
be VERY careful not to cross thread any bolts/nuts
do not fully tighten bolts/nuts or re-connect any part of anti-roll bar until car is supported by wheels (on blocks to improve access)
Hope someone finds the above useful
Regards
Tim