Golf Mk4 problem starting when warm - JamesB10
My 1.6 MkIV Golf starts perfectly when cold but is very difficult to start when warm. After a run it needs to be left about half an hour or more before it starts easily again. Once started when warm it idles smoothly and drives normally. I guess it may be a sensor that needs replacing but not sure which one to replace first. It's done 130,000 miles doesn't use oil, doesn't stall and is otherwise reliable. Any ideas of what I should try welcomed.
Golf Mk4 problem starting when warm - elekie&a/c doctor
The usual suspect on these is the engine coolant temp sensor. Easy to replace ,it is a push fit into one of the coolant pipes and secured with a plastic clip.A 4 pin sensor usually with a green or blue base.About £15.hth
Golf Mk4 problem starting when warm - JamesB10
That cured the problem, thanks. For anyone else replacing the sensor just make sure you unplug the existing one first so you can see what the plug and socket looks like. Mine was square but I was initially given an oval one that also had four pins, and I was also offered a two pin version. I got my sensor from a VW dealer and it was £27 including the O ring.
Golf Mk4 problem starting when warm - Simon
Glad you got it sorted, may I recommend that you try your local GSF for parts next time you need any. They will probably be a good bit cheaper than the VW main dealer and I would be surprised if they couldn't supply you with an identical part.