Reported a dangerous vehicle - BazzaBear {P}
On the way home from work today, I followed a very alarming vehicle. There was something very wrong with it, causing it to drive diagonally. On top of this, the driver seemed incapable of taking this into account, and therefore on the odd occasion would lunge suddenly across the white line, or towards the verge. She also occasionally bottled it on slight corners (despite taking most relatively normally) and screech to a near halt.
I reported this to the Cheshire Constabulary when I got home, and was told by a very disinterested sounding lady that they would follow it up with the registered keeper.

I'm not normally one to be a busybody, but this really was a case of when it cause an accident, not if. It was a metallic grey MG TF btw, , and had the word 'spark' looking like a model designation on the opposite side to the TF badge, but no idea why, it's certainly not a standard MG badge.

So... what do you reckon I'll hear about it (if anything)?
Reported a dangerous vehicle - local yokel
I reckon you are more likely to win a six week Lotto rollover than hear any more about this!
Reported a dangerous vehicle - nortones2
Sounds like a cut and shut job! I followed one a while back, not as dramatic as yours BB. It was crabbing along, a trapezoid is the best description. Reported, but no follow up provided.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - stevied
Two words: Cheshire Constabulary....

I think not. They don't like investigating crime... I think they're playing Dungeons and Dragons or something, they don't seem to like being disturbed.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - Armitage Shanks {p}
Probably way more lethal than 36 in a country 30 limit but way too much trouble to chase up. Do the easy stuff and meet the performance indicators!
Reported a dangerous vehicle - borasport20
I think they're playing Dungeons and Dragons or something they don't seem to like being disturbed.

I know they took 362 days to respond to an email I sent them, so something must be keeping them busy

Reported a dangerous vehicle - FotheringtonThomas
So... what do you reckon I'll hear about it (if anything)?

You won't hear anything, partially due to the fact that they're not allowed to tell you. Next time, report the driver as "swerving about all over the place, probably drunk" and include any "evidence" you can think of to support this. If they're not drunk, they'll have questions asked. If they *are*, they'll be off the road. It's a "win-win situation".
Reported a dangerous vehicle - flunky
Next time report the driver as "swerving about all over the place probably drunk"
and include any "evidence" you can think of to support this. If they're not drunk
they'll have questions asked.

Really?

I would be surprised if the police would bother TBH, there would be a vanishingly small chance of catching the driver while still drunk, and the testimony that the driver was drunk is entirely insufficient to take matters further. If the car was described as dangerous, there's an ongoing problem which can be investigated later.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - Lud
A bus I was in in Kenya in 1980 started crabtracking like that. Some sort of small late-70s Japanese forward control bus thing. The clamping bolts holding one end of the rear axle to one of the leaf springs had come loose. The passengers milled about admiring the rift valley for a few minutes while the crew did its best, then we limped to the next town, 10 miles or so, where professionals did a proper job, and off we bowled not all that much delayed by African standards.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - FotheringtonThomas
I would be surprised if the police would bother [with a drunk driver report] TBH there would
be a vanishingly small chance of catching the driver while still drunk and the testimony that
the driver was drunk is entirely insufficient to take matters further.

You would be surprised, then. It is quite possible that the police will visit the address of the owner after a report that a vehicle has been driven by a drunken driver, with a view to breathalysing after the event, and it has certainly happened, and successful prosecutions have resulted. It's not the "testimony" that matters, it's the BAC as measured.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - Pete M
I have had a couple of experiences of this.
Once was in an Air Force van, and the poor WAAF driver was having a major problem keeping the thing in a straight line. I was in the back seat and was looking through the left side of the windscreen to see the road. I made an official complaint through the relevant channels, criticising the van, but praising the driver. I'm not sure what happened in the end, but I remember being very nervous as the passenger.

Another time I followed a car on the motorway that was crabbing severely, a Mitsubishi Cordia, IIRC, and as it turned off at an exit I followed it. I flashed my lights and they pulled over. I went and told them about the problem, and it seems they were test driving the car from a second hand car dealer with a view to buying it. Something appeared to be seriously wrong with the rear suspension. I told them to drive it carefully back to the dealer, tell him about it, and then go somewhere else to shop.

Strangely enough, I've never seen any of the BMC 'land crabs' doing what they were famous for, and now I probably never will, given their rarity.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - Morpheus
Next time report the driver as "swerving about all over the place probably drunk"
and include any "evidence" you can think of to support this. If they're not drunk
they'll have questions asked. If they *are* they'll be off the road. It's a "win-win
situation".

.*********

Better to be honest I think, tell the police what you really see the problem as and let them look into it.

M
Reported a dangerous vehicle - barney100
They may investigate if there is a fine in for them.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - Xileno {P}
Some months ago I was following an old Bedford Rascal that was doing this. Quite an amazing sight. After about half a mile it turned off into a side road. I did nothing although with hindsight I should have taken the number down.
Reported a dangerous vehicle - f2
I used to frequently see an old Metro making it's crab-like way up the road on my way to work. It would travel at 70+ on the a-roads and pile through the 30's in town. Caught it up at the lights one day and took the opportunity to raise my concerns with the (young) owner in a friendly way. Needless to say; he told me to go forth and multiply.

I haven't seen the metro recently, and fondly imagine it, and it's owner, upside down in the deepest ditch in Yorkshire.

f2