Recycling and CO2 emissions - colin-e
Our local council provides "door step" recycling, but only takes paper, metal, and glass.

In order to recycle our cardboard and plastics, we (and presumably every household in the area) have to drive 6 miles to the nearest recycling point.

I can see the benefit of recycling, especially as we are running out of landfill sites in the UK, but surely the amount of CO2 emitted by vehicles transporting recyclables must be on the increase.

Why do we let our councils pick and choose the items they will collect for recycling? Obviously they only collect the materials that they can sell on, but if global warming is as serious as is implied, they should collect ALL recyclables in order to negate the CO2 emissions from private vehicles transporting items for recycling.

The situation will only get worse when we are all expected to pay for waste disposal based on the weight of rubbish collected. More people will be inclined to recycle, which in turn will equate to more vehicle mileage and more CO2.

Throw in the prospect of "pay per mile" road charging schemes, and you have a catch 22 situation - you either pay more for rubbish collection, or more in road charges.

We need more carrot, and less stick please!
----------------------------------
Colin-E
Recycling and CO2 emissions - Morpheus
Why would you drive 6 miles just to take some recycling?!?!

Just wait until you need to go to the tip / supermarket or wherever does the recycling then take it then...
We collect up enough to make the trip worthwhile - I'm not stupid enough to just take one cardboard box at a time!

The point is, its 6 miles EACH WAY to the recycling facility at the tip. That's 12 miles worth of fuel, CO2, and wear and tear on the car.

If the council can collect paper, metals and glass, why won't they collect plastics and cardboard too? (other councils do!)

I'm not an eco-buff; I just hate wasting fuel on mundane tasks - I'd much rather save it for a long blast in the countryside in the Porsche!
Colin-E
Recycling and CO2 emissions - Morpheus
I'm not an eco-buff; I just hate wasting fuel on mundane tasks - I'd much
rather save it for a long blast in the countryside in the Porsche!

Granted, but if your local supermarket do cardboard recycling then just take it with you when you go to the supermarket then you aren't making a special journey.
Recycling and CO2 emissions - OldSkoOL
The whole discussion around co2 is not even worth the hassle.

What we emit is literally a drop in the ocean. The argument around co2 has no solid basis and is just used as an excuse for various things which i wont get into.

If you want to read more on my controversial views see a post i made here: community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/17660378...8

Whilst i recycle everything i can and my home is as energy efficient as possible and i use minimal amount of gas, water and electricity my argument is against how we are being brainwashed into believing we are destroying our own planet and solely responsible; so much so you are questioning the councils actions with this loophope; you'll find many of these.
Well said OldSkoOl.

I hate the whole "climate change", eco-bandwagon thing - it just appears to be a way of extracting more money from people by way of "green" taxes.

I don't mind recycling though, as we are genuinely running out of landfill sites in the UK, thanks to NIMBYism - and who can blame them!

Colin-E
Recycling and CO2 emissions - ForumNeedsModerating
>>What we emit is literally a drop in the ocean. The argument around co2 has no solid basis and is just used as an excuse for various
>>. things which i wont get into.

The 'drop in the ocean' fails to take into account that the world (and its ecosystems) is fairly finely balanced - to use a stock market analogy: 5% of a market selling or buying can cause massive overall fluctuation. When an ecosystem is in dynamic balance the various factors 'just' moderate each other enough to maintain that balance. It's also known as the tipping point - it happens in all systems & dynamic processes, both natural & man-made.

We shouldn't let ourselves get into the conundrum of thinking that just because the government says something it's, ipso facto, untrue or a conspiracy.

Recycling and CO2 emissions - bell boy
i decided at the weekend im going to put a new word in the dictionary

global moaning

no offence colin-e i agree with you by the way

Recycling and CO2 emissions - mss1tw
That's two words. ;o)

[Very TIC]
Recycling and CO2 emissions - OldSkoOL
Can we use a practical example woodbines?
Like the sea ice has increased by 8% in the southern hemisphere, that should be sufficient. Let along migratory birds arriving back in the southern hemisphere later due to the extended cooler temperatures. I may have used those examples in my manifesto :) at the link above so apologies for the repeat.

I really truely and utterly hate the fact that BBC have this mini advert going of some crazy guy in a boat sailing through the polar ice caps showing all the ice falling from the land. Its the way which they twist the truth, the ice breaking up there is as common as autum leaves here.

Its sooooo far fetched!

I'm more worried about the practical things like particulate in our airspace from diesels or the so called smog over cities, the quality of the air, the of use of our finite resources by greedy nations. CO2 is an easy way to create awareness and view bigger issues from a high level, basically treating us like dummies into believing an unknown truth.