Peugeot 205 GTI - Williambongo
I have a couple of problems with my GTI and seeing as I just paid for a new clutch and 4 new tyres a month back, I want to keep my costs down.

1) Water leak. Standing in front of the car looking towards it. The drips are coming about a third of the way in from the left ( in the UK this would be the drivers side). Looking from the side of the car it would be about mid engine. I cannot work out where it's coming from it. In a day standing it will loose about 2.5lts of water. On a couple of occasions I took off the cap and it was still full but then has started leaking again, I assume there was a vacuum formed and taking the cap off allowed the water to start escaping

2) Noisy heater fan. It's original and is probably a bearing or the motor, it still pumps out hot or cold air. How easy is it to change the unit? I had a look in Haynes and it looked like the biddest problem was getting at the heater unit rather than chnaging the unit itself.

3) High pitched whine coming from the side of the engine on the drivers side. I think it must be one of the belts, what do you think?

That's enough for today!!!!!

PG
Peugeot 205 GTI - yorkiebar
Problems no1 and 3 sound related?

Water pump and cam belt sound likely. Strongly suggest immediate replacement to keep costs down. Failure of 1 will most likely mean failure of both which will probably write the car off!

Never even tried to do a fan on 1 of these so cant help with any info other than "book" time to replace the heater is around 4 hours. But 1st time you do I would expect time to be nearly double that?
Peugeot 205 GTI - csgmart
I agree that problems no 1 and 3 are probably related. Could be water pump - check it out ASAP and try not to use it too much before the problem is fixed.
Peugeot 205 GTI - Williambongo
Thanks, hand a poke around to see if any of the pipes were loose, not long after the water started coming out even quicker. Have now had the pump and cam belt changed. Thanks
Peugeot 205 GTI - andy turbo deisel
hi had the same noisey heater fan problem if you do what i did it may help got in to the fan and gave it a good spray of wd40 it stopped mine from being noisy hope this helps i think it is a common problem . not to sure about other probs but have you checked the metal water pipe drivers side lower inner wing andy
Peugeot 205 GTI - pmh
Losing water at that rate (about 40% of coolant in 24 hrs when standing) would make me nervous, so probably not a good idea to use it until sorted. Did the leak start from straight after the clutch was changed? If so I would start looking for hoses/pipes radiator joint that could have been disturbed when the engine 'dropped' ie moved when gearbox was taken out.
--

pmh (was peter)

Peugeot 205 GTI - Saltrampen
Re Fan - Agree with Andy TD, I had a 205, if you can get your hand behind the mid dash section, you can feel the top of the fan motor where the main shaft goes into a plastic housing. Spraying with WD will stop noise for a few months, but I found some silicone grease on top of WD40 helps even more.
S.