A weekend in Luxembourg - R40
Drove to Luxembourg and back over the Bank Holiday weekend for an event - 1100 miles in total. Route was Calais/Dunkerque, Lille, Valenciennes, Namur and then down the E411 to the Grand Duchy.

Very much enjoyed driving on clear and open roads through green and pleasant countryside. Was surprised at the poor state of the E42 from the Belgium/France border down to Calais on the return leg - regular stretches of very uncomfortable poor condition surfaces really tested the suspension - not something I expected on a main French route.

The Belgium services were an eye opener for me. My 9 year son went to the Gents at our first stop and came back dismayed as the two 'guardians' of the loos had refused him entry because he couldn't pay the 30 cents fee they were demanding! Apparently this is common practise. Though the signs invite payment if you are happy with the facilities, you won't get near them unless you cross palms before entering. It is the little things people remember and this behaviour, repeated at all four stops we made, certainly put me off Belgium as a place of friendly welcomes. The 'requests' were made quite rudely and imo to treat children in that way is pathetic..............

However it was a very enjoyable trip. My 2.5 V6 averaged 32 mpg and we cruised for hours in real comfort. Luxembourg is a great place with great people and we will certainly return. (Petrol prices at 1.11 Euro per litre made filling up less painful).

The route proved very picturesque and just as quick as taking the southern route via Metz. I had bought an in car DVD player for son and have to say it was the best £70 I've spent. Return of the Pink Panther, Garfield 2 and Around The World in 80 Days, resulted in hoots of laughter from the back throughout the drive and never once did I get 'are we nearly there yet?'

Driving on the continent is definitely for me.
A weekend in Luxembourg - yorkiebar
Personally never had a problem with the belgian services.

Happy to let my children go on their own and have never had them refused entry. In fact when I have accompanied them and put a euro in the tray to cover them I have more often than not been told that they dont accept money for children. But there are all sorts of people doing all sorts of jobs !

I for one am happy to pay for clean well maintained toilets (they usually are ) in preference to free dirty ones (england).

Totally agree about driving being a pleasure (mostly) abroad though.