pug 306 dying clutch/gearbox prob? HELP! - bigkaz
hi i own a t plate 1.9td meridian 306 with approx 109k on the clock, yesterday while driving i noticed my car started slipping out of gear, but then it got stuck into 4th gear and would not budge, i got a mate to help me tow it back home, but when i took my foot off the clutch despite being in 4th gear the engine was running as if in neutral, i have tried to get this looked into but so far i have been told seperately the clutch has gone, the gearbox has gone and everything in between, i appreciate the problem may need to be looked into further but would be grateful for any advice as i feel like i might be being taken 4 a ride. thanks in advance.
pug 306 dying clutch/gearbox prob? HELP! - thomp1983
i had this problem with my 306 dturbo with 1st when the clutch friction material actually broke up. to be honest boxes are cheap enough on ebay for 306's so you could probably get a clutch and box for £150 then just have to get it fitted or do it yourself, it's certainly not a difficult clutch to do

chris
pug 306 dying clutch/gearbox prob? HELP! - RichardW
These boxes are generally very reliable, and rarely just give up without warning. Not clear what you mean by slipping out of gear - was it just the clutchslipping, or was the box physically jumping out of gear ? Is it now jammed in 4th, or is just that when you select 4th you get no drive? It's difficult to diagnose remotely and you range of diagnosis possibly represents this without any dismantling. However I would check that the engine does not appear to have moved (broken mounting), the 3 gear change rods down the back of the box are still attached, and the clutch release lever still feels attached to something. If all 3 OK, then it's box out time. If no evidnce clutch is knackered then probably box is shot, source known good s/h unit and refit with new clutch. It's not in Mondeo or Xantia league, but I'm not sure I'd class this as an 'easy' clutch - it's still 5 or 6 hours labour - more if you do it properly and drop the box right out to change the input seal and release lever bushes.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
pug 306 dying clutch/gearbox prob? HELP! - bigkaz
hi no it just stays stuck in 4th and wont budge, by slipping what i meant was i put it into gear and it would be fine for anything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes and would then just come out of gear as if not put in properly in the first place. can u give a projected cost at all? again thanks for the suggestions