Old lorry woes - bedfordrl
We have just come back from the most appalling camping weekend ever !.
But that is not what this post is about .
I took my old army lorry to a military show at Horndean and on the way there on Friday i broke down, the dizzy came loose, and i had to pull over quickly, hazards on etc and met a chorus of blasts of horns.
On the way home just as we were on the slip onto the A3 we came across another breakdown, not us this time, and i offered help.
Now were on the end of a long slip and not on the A3 as yet but again loads of blasts of horns.
What the hell is wrong ?, cannot these people handle the fact that some one is not moving the same way that they shoot up my backside, with my beacon flashing and lights on, and swerve away at the last moment cutting people up op in the outside lane.
And this is in a lorry that can and does do 50 mph plus ,i really feel for the Militant and QL owners who can only do 30 mph.
It is coming to the point where i am limited to where i can safely drive without encountering motorway type speeds and driving style.
Oh if anyone starts on about caravans and tractors , well, been there and done that and also have come across the "you should not a, be in my way and b, not be going slower than i am"
The fact is i am entitled to use the road and you should be aware that some of your fellow motorists may be going slower thn you and they have every right to be there.
There i have got that off my chest.
Old lorry woes - yorkiebar
What?

You are not trying to speed?

You are in a lorry and you are in the way?

How dare you be on the roads!

I sympathise with you.
Old lorry woes - the quiet man
Good on you bedfordrl !! learnt years ago the quickest and surest way to pick out a motoring "plonker" is to ask them (a) where do you work? (b) how far is that from your home? (c) how long does it take you to drive there then ? If the answer to (c) is something like 20mins, 30mins etc you are talking to a "plonker". They obviously take no account of prevailing road or weather conditions where as if they did the answer to (c) would have been either 20 to 30 mins or 30 to 45 mins DEPENDING on road and weather conditions.
Old lorry woes - Westpig
it's because no one nowadays is used to driving to the conditions,

they don't explore the upper limits when they can and then adjust downwards when they need to

they just stick to the speed limits, get used to this speed and presume that this 'must be safe', because they're not speeding are they....?

nil judgement, nil awareness, boring and potentially dangerous,

in this instance, instead of driving at a pace that was relevant to a slow moving/stopped lorry with warning systems, they've driven at the usual speed that they're used to, then had a shock
Old lorry woes - Aprilia
Its not a new thing and its got nothing to do with speed limits. I remember breaking down 20 years ago in similar circumstances (but in a Alfa) and got lots of tooting, people swerving at last minute etc. The most remarkable thing was some woman slowing right down and bellowing abuse at me through her open window, whilst I was stooped over the engine - like I'd CHOSEN to have a breakdown!

I remember also a couple of year back being in the outside of two lanes that run past the big Nissan dealer in Leicester. The lights turned green and the car in front of me obviously wasn't going anywhere. I put my hazards on and jumped out to push the car to the side of the road (lady driver on her own). This seemed to bring on lots of hooting and revving of engines too...
Old lorry woes - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some might say, not me of course, that if you were driving an Alfa 20 years ago then you had chosen to have a breakdown. Only joking - I am at work and dangerously bored!
Old lorry woes - Aprilia
Some might say not me of course that if you were driving an Alfa 20
years ago then you had chosen to have a breakdown. Only joking - I am
at work and dangerously bored!

Yes indeed. It was one I had collected to do repair work on (cambelt change IIRC) - it was a yellow 'Sud Sprint Veloce - nice cars in their day.
Old lorry woes - Pugugly {P}
"'Sud Sprint Veloce - nice cars in their day."

Brings to mind a pal who bought one for thirty quid in the early nineties, polished it and loved it to bits....cracking car.
Old lorry woes - Bill Payer
The most remarkable thing was some
woman slowing right down and bellowing abuse at me through her open window whilst I
was stooped over the engine - like I'd CHOSEN to have a breakdown!

Apparently people reqularly shout abuse at road-workers on motorways! What the heck is the point of that?
Old lorry woes - stevied
Ha! I'd congratulate them for actually being there, because it doesn't happen very often!!! I shout abuse at coned off areas with no-one in them, but that's just stress relief....
Old lorry woes - moonshine

Just the other week I stopped along with the car in front to try and coax a stray dog out from the middle of a country lane. The dog was scared and confused and running randomly across the road. We got met with a chorus of horns which just scared the dog even further so it eventually ran off into the woods.

Even though it's annoying at the time I don't let things like that get to me, lifes too short.
Old lorry woes - Chris M
Are you a regular at Horndean bedfordrl? I live in Horndean and the field the show is held in is on my dog walk route. Some of the vehicles are interesting, but I can't get my head round those that dress up in modern army attire and pretend to be something they're not. As it's historic vehicles, why don't they dress in period costume?

You had a good day Saturday, but last night must have been......interesting! It's a washout most years - you lot must be a hardy breed. Last year it was so muddy they were having to use what looked like a six wheel drive thing to pull traders onto the field. It took months for the mud to clear from Five Heads Road and didn't make the Overlorders any friends with the neighbours.
Old lorry woes - uk_in_usa
attire and pretend to be something they're not. As it's historic vehicles why don't they
dress in period costume?

Some do... I am 99% sure that it was at Horndean a few years ago my father took some pictures of a bunch of guys in black "SS" uniforms.
Old lorry woes - Westpig
Some do... I am 99% sure that it was at Horndean a few years ago
my father took some pictures of a bunch of guys in black "SS" uniforms.

wasn't a youngish, posh chap with ginger hair?
Old lorry woes - bell boy
did one of them have a thick straight moustache?
Old lorry woes - uk_in_usa
wasn't a youngish posh chap with ginger hair?

My Dad? No he's an older tall guy with black hair!
Old lorry woes - Chris M
You are 100% correct. I have seen them in zee past as well as Von Klinkerhoffen and Gruber wiz his little tank.
Old lorry woes - kingfisher
Gotta be better than walking the dog...in the rain
Old lorry woes - bell boy
Gotta be better than walking the dog...in the rain

especially when you see the dogs looking at their owner and basically saying ,"get that sainsburys carrier out and clean my mess up and carry it home" and swing that bag :-O
yuck
Old lorry woes - bedfordrl
No i do not go in for wearing uniform, but with the re-enactments it makes sense.
It gets a bit contraversual when they start wearing medals though a fact sometimes pointed out a goodwood revival.
As for the weather, well Saturday was ok , but Sunday was bad and Monday was awful, really really awfull.
I woke up in the night (we had the tent in the back of the lorry (we are at the moment canvas less after some little darling set fire to it)) to howling winds in the big pylons and the tent trying to take off.
Looking out into the field there was a vision of blown down awnings ,upside down tents and stall holders sheets flapping away.
And guess what ?, yes today was dry and sunny arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
On the plus side i checked the water and noticed i had lost a bit, futher investigation showed that the bottom hose was weeping, down to a stall and picked up a genuine RL bottom hose for £2 fitted it and sorted.
Old lorry woes - Chris M
But on those cold winter days what can beat a nice warm dog poo to keep your hands warm ;-)