The F1 & motorsport thread - Vol 9 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Vol 10 *****

As the title suggests, this thread is for all things Formula One and other general motorsport related stuff.

This is Volume 9.

Usual rules apply. When we get to around 100 posts, the thread will be locked and the next volume will start.

PLEASE NOTE

As with the IHAQ & the Computer threads, When posting a NEW topic, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each topic in it's own separate segment and stops each new topic from getting mixed up in amongst existing topics. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Monaco GP - dxp55
Fan-tas-tic GO Go Go ---The best F1 race that's ever been on -- At long last I have managed to get two hours of uninterupted sleep since I got married 35 yrs ago - why ain't race's 4 hrs long

Monaco GP - Westpig
i don't know why they rave so much about Monaco......for a motor racing fan it is a completely boring procession.....

if the teams want a good social whirl......why not have that in the weeks between races, have a traditional hooly somewhere

how can it be fun to race somewhere where you can't overtake and back markers constantly hold you up?

or am i missing something?
Monaco GP - omegalen
Hamilton will live to regret his comment at Monaco today that drivers in midfield and the tail end were monkeys who were likely to crash on the first corner. a couple of years ago Ron Dennis made himself very unpopular for calling the lesser teams "track cleaners" which was not nearly as nasty. Omegalen
Monaco GP - henry k
>>or am i missing something?

McLaren denied favouring double world champion Fernando Alonso in the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday after rookie team mate Lewis Hamilton suggested he had been forced into a supporting role.
Team boss Ron Dennis said the 22-year-old joint championship leader and runner-up to Spaniard Alonso in a dominant McLaren one-two, would have won had the safety car been deployed.

For the first time this season, the Briton appeared less than ecstatic with second place -- his fifth podium in five Formula One starts.

"I have the number two on my car, and I am the number two driver," he told a news conference.

Hamilton had qualified on the front row with a far heavier car than Alonso on pole position.
Alonso led from the start but when Hamilton had the chance to build up a gap, after the Spaniard's first pitstop, he was unable to do so because the team called him in to refuel earlier than expected.

"I was actually quite surprised because I was fuelled to go five, nearly six, laps longer than Fernando and they stopped me with three laps," said Hamilton. "That's unfortunate but it's the way it goes."
Alonso explained that he had in fact gone two laps longer than scheduled because he had used less fuel than expected in the opening laps and Dennis was adamant there was no hidden agenda.
He said his job was to make difficult decisions and Monaco was a unique circuit where the introduction of the safety car, deployed in four of the last five years, could wreck the best-laid plans.
The two drivers therefore had to be on radically different strategies.
"Everybody feels I'm sure, and a lot of people will feel it in England, that there is some favouritism or some penalisation that is given to either Lewis or Fernando," he added.

"But we are scrupulously fair at all times in how we run this grand prix team.
"We will never favour one driver, no matter who it is. We never have, we never will."

Dennis confirmed he had instructed both drivers to slow their pace after the first pitstop to limit risks and protect the one-two. With no major accidents, the safety car remained absent.
"I don't like to slow drivers down, I don't like them to be frustrated," he said. "I don't like to see these things happen, because I am an absolute racer. It's just the way you have to win the Monaco Grand Prix, which is what we've done.
"If the safety car was deployed, Lewis Hamilton would have won the race."

Monaco GP - Altea Ego
"I have the number two on my car, and I am the number two driver," he told a news conference.

Complete tripe. Hamilton got a slapping from the spaniard today. Alonso treated him like an upstart and showed him he had him beaten at all stages of the race. This was a significant race for team hierarchy and hamilton is upset that alonso clearly put him in his place, possibly for the rest of the season.

Thats why he is upset.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Monaco GP - stunorthants26
Its about time the spaniard gave him a slapping, he's been slacking for goodness knows how many races, proof being in the points. Alonso should stop looking at himself in the mirror and start making sure Hamilton is in it instead - beaten by a rookie, more than once is the sign of someone dragging their backside.

Atleast Hamilton wants to win and is willing to try and judging by the sideways episodes, he was when he was allowed. Anyone who thinks theres no politics in F1 is rather naive though.
Monaco GP - Armitage Shanks {p}
"I don't know why they rave so much about F1......for a motor racing fan it is a completely boring procession....." Slight adjustment to your statement westpig! F1 is boring - it is just Monaco that is really really boring!

Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - henry k
From the FIA site (13:30 Mon)

"2007 MONACO GRAND PRIX 28.05.2007

The FIA has launched an investigation into incidents involving the McLaren Mercedes team at the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix in light of a possible breach of the International Sporting Code.

The relevant evidence is under review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Pendlebury
I totally agree with TVM.
During qualifying and the 1st stages of the race Alonso just showed why he is no 1 in that team with fantastic driving skill.
Having said that - Hamilton did well.
If I was Ron Dennis I would have done exactly the same.
You can just imagine the headlines if they had wiped each other out during the final stages on a tricky circuit.
Hamilton has had his chances early on & in other races and took them when he could - he will get more chances but to start racing in Monaco when 1st and 2nd is in the bag would be a bit foolish in my view.
I think the press were a little over the top - almost suggesting Hamilton could have won it without team orders - as if Alonso was just going to sit back and let him.
It was down to the likes of Ferrari and BMW to challenge McLaren and they were nowhere in it.

At the end of the day though Hamilton has done brilliantly - there are 20 other drivers who would love to swap with him and he has only driven 5 races. JB especially.
Ron Dennis has done a superb job with Hamilton.
His dad's interview at the end was the most sensible I have heard yet.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - ForumNeedsModerating
>.Complete tripe. Hamilton got a slapping from the spaniard today. Alonso treated him like an upstart and showed him he had him beaten at all >stages of the race. This was a significant race for team hierarchy and hamilton is upset that alonso clearly put him in his place, possibly for the >rest of the season.

No, not a slapping - he was beaten marginally by a car that was lighter in most stages of the race, and was himself carrying fuel as 'passenger' i.e. it wasn't used. As Ron Dennis said, the 2 strategies were designed to cater for a possible safety car deployment - presumably so re-fuel stop 'windows' didn't overlap & allow greater flexibility for 'snap' pit-stops. Sensible move.
I think Alonso is a fine driver, and it probably doesn't do him justice to acsribe to him the 'treating Hamilton like an upstart' motivation - Monaco is a particular type of race & the team & both drivers worked the best strategy for gaining maximum points in both driver & manufacturer races.

My only concern is the looking-for-a-controversy attitude of the media - are they trying to drive a wedge into the McLaren or something?
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Lud
No one gave anyone a 'slapping'. Honestly TVM! This is football reporter stuff.

Treating drivers (or football players) as if they were manikins to be set up, knocked down and rolled in the mud flatters the 'fans' by allowing them to share this God-like omnipotence, all phoney of course.

Maclaren walked it on the day. Team orders were apparent. And why shouldn't they be?

It will be interesting to hear what breach of the Sporting Code Maclaren is suspected of.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Altea Ego
Well I have followed F1 for years, let me see, must be 35 years, and I saw no sign of any team orders. What I did see was one driver being better then the other.

Its like this. At McClaren there is no "no 1" driver. That being so (and it is) Alonso has been shown up by his younger and less experienced team mate. I know it, he knows it, the world knows it but worse of all Hamilton knew it. Worse - Alonso crapped out at his home GP.

Now we come to Monaco - In effect Hamiltons back yard, his stronghold, never been beaten there. This is the place where Alonso had to show who was the better driver. This was the place to put the upstart down - And he did. By quite a lot. He matched, bettered and countered *every* move by Hamilton. During the time Hamilton was out in front, the first pitstop windows, this is three laps remember, he made NO catchup time. His laptimes were inconsistent.

Hamilton is bitter. He is bitter because he knows he got a slapping. He will learn. He will learn to keep his trap shut at the wrong moments, and when to open at the right moments. If he has any sense and ability (and he has both in spades) he will learn from this.

Wait for Silverstone. This is the next battleground for in team battles. Alonso will want to stuff him at home.

F1 is 25% technology, 25% skill, 25% politics and 25% mind games.
Fascinating stuff.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Dynamic Dave
Well I have followed F1 for years let me see must be 35 years....
Its like this. At McClaren....

And in all that time still can't spell McLaren correctly ;o)
>> Well I have followed F1 for years let me see must be 35 years....
>> Its like this. At McClaren....
And in all that time still can't spell McLaren correctly ;o)

Thats the way we spell it in WocKing.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Screwloose

However good he is; did Hamilton really think that he could pass Alonso? He wasn't close enough at the first pit stop - even if he had used more of his fuel advantage. Alonso didn't vary his usual metronomic laptimes to post that blistering fastest lap for nothing.

Trying a passing manoeuvre on a double [not "two-time..."] World Champion as "single-minded" as Alonso on that track would have likely turned "P1 and P2" into a double "DNF."

Hamilton needs to recognize that public whinging about the tough realities of F1 just brings FIA trouble to the team. He's been given an unprecedented opportunity by Ron Dennis and sometimes he needs to just bite the bullet and get on with it - he should be grateful that his first F1 run at Monaco wasn't in something like a Spyker.

Let's hope this tantrum isn't the first sign of negative personality effects from over-adulation of the media.

Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Robin Reliant
Unfair to accuse hamilto of a tantrum. He felt he could have won and was prevented from doing so in order to let Alonso get the victory. Whether he could have done so is another question, but I can understand his frustration.

His relationship with Alonso looks set to be a very sour one, particularly as the investigation into the result comes from his apparant comment that he was ordered to let the Spaniard win (illegal) rather than the teams strategy protecting his lead (legal).
--
.. Well I have followed F1 for years, let me see, must be 35 years, and I saw no sign of any team orders.
What I did see was one driver being better then the other.

from the Times May 28th: 'FIA to investigate Alonso victory '

"..Ron Dennis, the McLaren team manager, says he prevented his drivers from racing in Monaco after their first pit stops, but maintained the outcome was a result of team strategy, rather than team orders."

Although I don't know if Ron has had that much experience...lol.

And if you read my post you will see Hamilton screwed it around the "the first pit stop"

If you knew F1 you would know the first session into the first pit stop makes or breaks the winner of a team mate race.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>And if you read my post you will see Hamilton screwed it around the "the first pit stop"

..and after the 2nd pit-stop, he made up about 5-6 secs IIRC - it just shows how the unique racing conditions at Monaco (i.e traffic & passing difficulty) can affect things. What does it prove either way? The fact is, Ron Dennis said himself that the real race was over after the first pit-stop, due to team strategy needs. This is hardly, as you say of Alonso 'showed him he had him beaten at all stages of the race.'

>>If you knew F1 you would know the first session into the first pit stop makes or breaks the winner of a team mate race.

Well, I may not know as much as some, but I can certainly remember many races where leads between team mates have changed frequently after the 1st stop, both vying for the lead in racing conditions , sometimes on the last corner! So that statement just doesn't make sense to me.

No ,it's clear, as Ron Dennis said, Hamilton was asked to play the team game & ensure maximum points for the team, no stuffing, no bitterness on Hamilton's part, just a bit of understandable frustration - which I thought he 'stifled' extremely well.
No you are wrong and its far from clear. Who was first on the grid and why? Who was first into the first corner and why? Who was 1.5 seconds a lap faster in the clear and why?

Yes mclaren set out team orders. After the *clear* winner was established. that why the gap came down. Its an old racing drivers trick, team orders given out, man who is second dont like it so makes look like he could win. Lead driver dont care he knows why the gap is small. So does Hamilton.

And if Hamilton had kept this trap shut there wouldnt be an enquiry would there. Hardly the mark of someone doing a good stifling job.

As a driver, you are a team lead. You have a team to motivate, do the best for you, garner a desire for a win. Whinging and whining gets you a surley team who wont achieve anything. Ask Button.

He was surly and ungracious. Anyone can claim but for team orders I would have won. No-one can prove you couldnt have won. Point is Had he been 1st at the time of team orders he would have won. He wasnt was he. And thats all that counts. He came second. But sure he has the skill and talent. His time will come.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I do have to keep agreeing with TVM here.
Hamilton has shown some naivety and I suspect Ron is not too happy at the moment.
It was a fantastic weekend for McLaren and all of a sudden it has turned very sour.
On Ron's 60th B'Day as well.

I think Alosno is also a lesson in managing the media and relationships that both Hamilton & Button could learn from.
Keep your mouth shut, your head down (honour your contract and your boss/team) and let your driving do the talking.

Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Dynamic Dave
Woodbines,

You have email.

DD.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Westpig
he's young, fired up, wants to win.........what should we expect. He's not a robot, he's bound to make mistakes. If he wasn't so fired up, he wouldn't be so good.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Slapping it was not, but apart from that TVM has got it right. Alonso produced the goods at the key times of the weekend, Hamilton didn't. To be as close as he has been to a double world champion all season is a great performance, but on this weekend he was second best. Team orders or not, he could not have beaten Alonso as he was unable to make up time during pit stops, was slower in the early stages and it is impossible to overtake at Monaco anyway without co-operation. Mansell vs Senna 1992? Coulthard vs Bernoldi 2001?

Hamilton also complained about difficulty lapping cars. Some of these guys should be introduced to Rene Arnoux, circa 1986/7.
Hamilton also complained about difficulty lapping cars.

I wonder if that was payback time from the monkies
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - cheddar
>>Alonso produced the goods at the key times of the weekend, Hamilton didn't. To be as close as he has been to a double world champion all season is a great performance, but on this weekend he was second best. Team orders or not, he could not have beaten Alonso as he was unable to make up time during pit stops, >>

I disagree, Hamilton was fractions of a sec of pole in a heavier car and if McLaren had not called Hamilton in early for his 2nd stop he could quite possibly have passed Alonso, that is where the "strategy" (in Ron's words) was applied, rather than team orders, so they will probably get away with it.

However my above comments are not feiting Hamilton, rather Alonso is being shown to be rather ordinary, in the past he has won when his car has been superior and generally he has not had top team mates (though Trulli often out qualified him), he now has the best car though only just beat his rookie team mate, at other races this year Hamilton has had the better of him. Makes me think most of the grid would have been there with Alonso if they were in the second McLaren.
If you mean Fisichella, I thik it was Alonso 15 poles, Fisichella 3. Thats hardly "often out qualifying"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
If you mean Fisichella >>

No I mean't Trulli, he generally outqualified Alonso at Renault in 2004 before going to Toyota for the last couple of races, he also outqualified Button when they were both at Renault in 2003.
well in doing a bit of research in this, I found this site.

f1-facts.com/statistics/team-mates/Alonso

Wooo what a good site for those after F1 statistics.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That is a great site!
Sorry, I meant he also outqualified Button when they were both at Renault in 2002.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Aretas
At every stage of this GP, including qualifying, when "the chips were down" Alonso played an ace in an immaculate manner.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - madf
Reading this thread, I now remember why I stopped watching F1.

It's downright boring.

SWMBO switched it on and I promptly fell asleep.. which sounds just about right.

After Steve McQueen all races at Monaco are boring.. (was it him?):-)
madf
A lot more boring and less about cars than it used to be.

Still just about bearaable to a true enthusiast though. Or is it just stubborn nostalgia?
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - Armitage Shanks {p}
I didn't watch but I read a race report which said the order of the first 4 drivers on the grid was the same as their positions at the finish = no change. That isn't a race, it is a parade, albeit a very risky one!
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - martint123
I read somewhere today that Hamiltons pit stop was brought forward 5 laps. Had he had the chance, he possibly could have made up time in those 5 laps and the result may have been different. Ah yes, no link as its an HJ competitor, Daily Express.

"Hamilton, second on the grid, got the second-best option but even so he was mystified at being called in when he had enough fuel for another five laps at a point when he could have put in his quickest times of the first session and built up a bank of time which might have put him in the lead."

I agree, as I said above if McLaren had not called Hamilton in early for his 2nd stop he could quite possibly have passed Alonso, adjusting pitstop timing is where the "strategy" (in Ron D's words) was applied, rather than team orders, so they will probably get away with it.
and he quite likely wouldnt have, as the three laps he was out on his own, he want making up the gap. As he wasnt making up the gap before the stop, in fact untill Alonso slowed down *after* the order went out, he wasnt making up the gap anywhere.

Hamilton lost that race .3 seconds after the start when he made a huge swing over to block the ferrari. Lost him distance, time and most of all, by admiting he was more worried about those behind him rather than those in front, lost him the mind games.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Once he was clear of traffic another three laps in the clear might have done it.

Hamilton lost that race .3 seconds after the start when he made a huge swing
over to block the ferrari. >>

That was Ron's doing:

" OK boys, the Ferrari was only 1/4 sec down so Lewis you can cover Fernando's pink fluffy dice from the start"

I see on the news that common sense has prevailed and McLaren have been cleared of any wrong doing in the Monaco race.
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/67...m

www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2...l
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - J Bonington Jagworth
>McLaren "did nothing which could be described as interfering with the race result"

So what was Ron's 'strategy' in aid of? Personally, I don't see why a team boss (the clue's in the job title) shouldn't give instructions to his drivers, but if team orders aren't allowed...
Storm in a teacup.

As instructed, young Hamilton kept Massa off Alonso during the first part of the race.

Did he complain or scowl later? Not that I could see (however I wasn't really looking). But if he did, he's already shown that he would be quite capable of doing it for calculated reasons, or because he had been instructed to.

Monaco is I believe the slowest GP circuit. Ferrari may well make a better showing on faster circuits. Time for the Finn to show some form. But it does look like McLaren and probably Alonso for the year.

I do think it's funny that people expect Hamilton to be annoyed when he isn't allowed to race his teammate. He doesn't look like a halfwit to me.
So what was Ron's 'strategy' in aid of? >>

Read the FIA press release:

"The primary objective of any team is for one of their drivers to win. If this can be achieved they will try to ensure their other car finishes second.

With no safety car during Alonso?s first stint, there was a small but finite risk that it would come out during the five laps before Hamilton had to refuel. This would have put him behind the field and at a significant disadvantage to any car on a full (as opposed to optional) one-stop strategy. The latter cars would be expected to refuel around lap 40 ? ie after the safety car had pitted if it came out during Hamilton?s extra laps.

For similar reasons Hamilton was called in early for his second pit stop, thus assuring his second place, with or without a safety car.

Had the car in front of Hamilton not been his team-mate, McLaren might (probably would) have decided to risk the safety car and let Hamilton run for as long as his fuel load allowed in the hope that he would come out of the pits in the lead after one of his pit stops. There is, however, no obligation on them to take this risk in order to overtake their own car. Indeed it would be foolish to do so.

It is standard procedure for a team to tell its drivers to slow down when they have a substantial lead. This is in order to minimise the risk of technical or other problems. It is also standard practice and entirely reasonable to ask the drivers not to put each other at risk."

As I said before if McLaren had not called Hamilton in early for his 2nd stop he could possibly have passed Alonso, that is where the "strategy" was applied, rather than "team orders".
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - J Bonington Jagworth
"Read the FIA press release"

I did, but it still boils down to RD affecting the outcome of the race. IMO, this should be within his remit - it's his team after all, but if 'team orders' aren't allowed...

In the event, he has talked his way out of it very neatly, but in so doing has highlighted the absurdity of rules designed to limit what may or may not pass between team bosses and their drivers.

From now on, all instructions will have to be prefaced with the words: "for strategic reasons..." :-)
Monaco GP. FIA investigation re McLaren - brg190 pete
I think this was a storm in a teacup and the FIA clearly came to the right decision.

What amazed me was Bernie's initial reaction - along the lines of saying that, if McLaren were found guilty, they should have points docked or possibly be banned from the championship. This seemed to be a rather vitriolic over-reaction to the situation. I also think it made him look silly by jumping the gun in his comments since the very next day McLaren were cleared by the FIA.

I have always been a little cynical about the F1 conspiracy theories, but that sort of response does make me wonder about a pro-Ferrari, anti-McLaren bias.

I assume that what really annoyed the other teams was Ron saying that his cars were so quick that, after 10 laps, they didn't need to try any more. That may have been indiscreet (although true) but was no reason for Bernie's over-reaction.
Valencia secures F1 street race - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/66...m

Valencia has signed a seven-year contract...
Its harbourside location is bound to draw comparisons with the Monaco Grand Prix.

...But the McLaren driver added that he was at a loss to understand though why there will be a street circuit when the Ricardo Tormo track lies on the outskirts of the city.

More ZZZZZZZZZZ then? :-((
Valencia secures F1 street race - Red Baron
I forget how old Alonso is, but he could well drive for another seven years.

I have a feeling that we will see more of these type of short-term contracts that feed off a particular issue.

With M Schumacher no longer driving, was it any wonder that the European Grand Prix went from Germany to elsewhere.
Valencia secures F1 street race - AlastairW
It still surprises me that ANY European country can get two F1 Gps per year when so many other further flung countries are competing for Bernies attention. Not that I'm objecting, as I prefer my GPs after Sunday lunch rather than with breakfast. Basically it come down to who can pay the most.
Valencia secures F1 street race - Westpig
maybe with 'boy wonder' Hamilton, Blighty will end up with 2 races...but where to have the second one

Brands is a no-no......too small and the locals are too awkward with the noise
Donington....possible, but is the track big enough
where else?....Thruxton.........locals problems with noise

can't think of anywhere else unless Rockingham can be sorted out like a UK Indianapolis
Valencia secures F1 street race - Screwloose

Before we can even begin to think of finding a second venue; we've got to get it away from Silverstone first.

That dump is just an embarrassment. For hundreds of millions of people, the only bit of Britain they see is that armpit. Like it or not; F1 is a major shop window for any country; what does a bleak, dreary, decrepit, old airfield say about us?

Whatever the problems; our F1 track has to be quintessentially Britain [or soon just England?] as it is today. Brands has it and is different enough from the boring new "PC" circuits to be interesting. The locals will just have to stuff cheese in their ears.

Then again; there's always Goodwood.... Or Knockhill....
Valencia secures F1 street race - Westpig
Then again; there's always Goodwood.... Or Knockhill....

Goodwood...........I wish........imagine a decent modern set up built there, to fit in with the existing set up....and all that history

Knockhill.....You've got to be showing a supreme sense of humour......small and constant rain, i think not
Valencia secures F1 street race - Altea Ego
Silverstone? Facilities may be a dump. But it is a classic racing drivers track. Seriously good layout.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Valencia secures F1 street race - Altea Ego
Thruxton is way too fast. 210 mph out the back from seagrave through to church and brooklands is way way quick.

What is Bernie up to? Only one Italian race on the list after dropping Imola, two GPs at germany where they cant fill one now Schumi has gone, GPs in China where the locals couldnt give a monkeys, Hungary? who wants a hungary GP...

what a shambles. Bernie you are an idiot.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
IoM TT Races. - Pugugly {P}
Just a reminder plenty of coverage (starting today) on iTV4. Don't need to be a motorcyclist to enjoy, perhaps it may convert a couple of sceptics.
IoM TT Races. - harry m
thanks for the info never seem to get itv4 listings in my paper will check them out on the internet.
IoM TT Races. - paulb {P}
I rushed straight to the TV, and what do I get? "Signal lost - check cable and/or antenna". Blasted Freeview, God rot it. Pretty sure we can get ITV4 if the ambient temperature is 17C or below and there's no cloud cover. Disappointed now.

(If anyone is wondering, Virgin won't do me a cable package that doesn't involve having a telephone service for which I have neither need nor use, and the management co of this block won't let anyone put up a Sky dish. So Freeview it has to be.)

Is it on tomorrow as well? I shall then be somewhere that has Sky...
IoM TT Races. - Pezzer
Thanks Pug I hadnt spotted it. Did you catch the NW200 the other week? It absolutely blows me away. I love watching the Superbikes and MotoGP but road racing is even better.

P
Yes I did - came home after a couple of glasses. cracking stuff - wish I'd recorded it !
IoM TT Races. - wayne1980
just incase anyone did not know, the superbike race that was cancelled on Sat is now going to run on monday check out the link
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/671...m
IoM TT Races. - Pezzer
I captured it as a mpeg file (1GB) from my USB TV - I have the restart of the superbikes and all of the supersport if you are interested. (Not sure quite how to transfer it - can burn it to a dvd if of any interest).

Cheers P

"7:30am Sunday 3rd June 2007

Murky and damp. Risk of heavy rain"

From Manx Radio Website - looks a bit grim. Wouldn't be holding one's breath for any racing today.
IoM TT Races. - J Bonington Jagworth
Nice to see a bit of coverage for once, despite the postponement. I was amazed to hear R4's 'Broadcasting House' from the IoM this morning - there must be some closet enthusiasts in the BBC after all. Coverage of m/c events otherwise is rubbish - I regularly shout at the radio on Monday mornings, when the sports roundup again fails to mention MotoGP, which is invariably far more exciting than F1 (well done Alex Barros, today, BTW).

Good, too, to hear a safety expert on the radio rooting for the TT, despite the hazards. I applaud anyone who takes part in a race like that.
IoM TT Races. - Micky
Yes! And the onboard commentary was worthy. Milky must have been giving it 50%. I know this because the commentator on the pillion could speak. The quality press are providing some good coverage of the TT this year.

Moto GP is for those riders who like to impress but don't really have the bottle.

IoM TT Races. - J Bonington Jagworth
"..don't really have the bottle"

Ouch! - Difficult to believe that of anyone who can smoke a rear tyre while coming out of a corner at 100+, feet up, but I take your point.
I suspect that one or two would do the TT, but may be barred by their contracts.
IoM TT Races. - former farmer
BBC 2 tomorrow at 1.00

I missed the coverage of the IoM TT earlier in June. I am not a motorcycle enthuisiast, but previous coverage, whilst waiting to watch F1 was unbelievable. I was on the edge of the sofa!!
BTCC - lost in space - Stuartli
Realised, at 6pm whilst browsing through the new TV's EPG, that one of today's BTCC races at Croft had been broadcast live, but starting some two hours earlier.

The setting for this illustrious event? ITV3.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
British Grand Prix - Friday Tickets - hxj

I have been kindly offered a pair of free tickets for the Friday of the British Grand Prix weekend at Silverstone.

Has any one been on a Friday and is it worth going? I live an hour away and so travelling isn't a problem.
British Grand Prix - Friday Tickets - bathtub tom
I went to a free testing session last year (I'm about an hour away). I wouldn't have missed it for the world!
There's no way I'd pay the asking price for admission, you can't substitute the overall coverage you get on the telly (with radio 5 commentary). But (tch. starting a sentence with a preposition, what will the new moderator say?) there's nothing to describe the sound you get from being there - TAKE EAR PROTECTION. 'Phone a friend while you're there, and listen to them turn green with envy at the pure sound (this comes a close second to the smell at Goodwood).
British Grand Prix - Friday Tickets - stevied
I'm going on Friday! Everyone I am going with says it's great... but no idea!
Formula1 GP Hungary - first strike
Has anyone been to the Hungaroring to watch formula 1 if so did you purchase tickets prior to going or can you buy tickets at the circuit? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Leaving this here for now will pass it over to the F1 general thread once its been seen by a few people. PU (Mod)

(AKA when I've worked out how to do it !)
The Lewis Hamilton Show - Robin Reliant
I think he's great and I want him to win too, but for God sake ITV! Jenson Button must feel like the loyal wife who's husband has run off with a young floozie.
--
The Lewis Hamilton Show - BobbyG
Has a safety car ever crashed? The one today has came very close to that wall a few times!
The Lewis Hamilton Show - barchettaman
Not AFAIK, but Senna´s crash was caused (in part) reportedly by his tyres cooling excessively after a lengthy deployment of a (relatively) slow safety car, IIRC.

Others will be able to confirm that, I don´t think the memory is playing tricks on me.
The Lewis Hamilton Show - Chicken Vindaloo
Yes, you're correct. The safety car was the Opel version of the then Cavalier. After a lap its brakes were shot and Senna repeatedly pulled up alongside to urge the driver to get a move on. After this, Bernie asked AMG to supply something which was more capable of doing the job.
The Lewis Hamilton Show - SteVee
Has a safety car ever crashed? <<

A safety car crashed during the start of a bike race - I think it was a WSB race in early 2001. I was in a bike shop at the time, and the whole place just fell about laughing.

Brilliant job by Lewis Hamilton and by his mclaren team, First F1 race I've watched all the way through for ages.
The Lewis Hamilton Show - BobbyG
Re safety car, noticed at one point yesterday there was a Honda saloon going round when the safety car was out and the commentary team referred to it as the safety car then a minute later it was back to the Merc as the safety car.

Was there two safety cars or was the Honda maybe taking a doctor to the accident?
The Lewis Hamilton Show - hxj

The white car was a medic car - it appeared to be leading the pack due to the camera angle.

What a way to write a car off though
Canada - Altea Ego
WOW,

4 safety cars, cars black flagged, crashes that person has a right to survive, lesser minnows on the podium, and hamiltons first GP win.

I am exhausted and i was only watching.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Canada - Robin Reliant
Most absorbing race for years, who would bet against Hamilton for the championship now? God knows what they make F1 cars out of, but Kubitza's crash did not look survivable to the untrained observer.
--
Canada - J Bonington Jagworth
"Kubica's crash did not look survivable to the untrained observer"

I wondered if he had at first, especially when the cameras backed off after he'd been motionless for a bit. Glad to know he's more or less OK.

I also thought it amazing that no-one collided with the debris - it seemed to be raining it at one point!

Canada - Lud
Quite TVM. Very eventful, and lots of clowning.

I thought Alonso messed up first corner because he so feared colliding with Hamilton. Sympathetic of him.

Hamilton looks more and more Teflon.

Hope Kubica's all right and all it is is a broken leg. Some serious accelerations in that crash.
Canada - milkyjoe
what a race... i think the safety car came in twice to refuel
Canada - Pugugly {P}
Even I enjoyed it (having to re-tune from something else to accommodate a friend who called round)
Canada - Aretas
My wife normally only watches the start. Today she stayed for the whole race and even wanted to see the (non existant) post race interviews.
Canada - Westpig
even wanted to see the (non existant) post race interviews.

just like the non existant live practice yesterday unless you can get ITV4, which being in a hotel I couldn't.......dare say it would interrupt some banal carp
Canada - peterb
Well I'm a bit put out.

I put the race on as background to screwing together some flat pack furniture and ended up getting nowhere with the furniture...
Canada - DP
Missed it unfortunately, but I'm genuinely chuffed to bits for Lewis! Apart from being a successful Brit (and boy, do we need them), he just comes across as a genuinely nice kid who so far seems to be keeping his feet firmly on the ground and letting his driving speak for him. Success and humility are always a very endearing combination, and I wish him all the best for the rest of the season, and future seasons to come.

Saw Kubica's crash on the news this morning. It was horrific. Glad he's (fairly) OK.

Looked like a heck of a race from the bits I've seen since!

Cheers
DP
Canada - Robin Reliant
The most impressive thing about Hamiltons drive was how he kept his head each time he had a big lead cut when the safety car came out. It would have been so easy to have panicked and made an error each time the race was green flagged and got under way again.

I have a feeling that in a few years time we will have loads of posts on here complaining that Hamiltons dominance of F1 is killing the sport.
--
Canada - Altea Ego
The crunch comes over the next three races.

Indianapolis:
Should suit the Ferraris. If they dont win this, the season for them could be over.
Alonso does not excell at this track, Hamilton could do him over again.

Magny Cours:
Should be An Alonso track: Alonso will be upset if Hamilton gets more points than him here. May go into a decline.

Silverstone:
Mclaren track. Hamilton track. Alonso needs to put one over on Hamilton here to dent his confidence. If he doesent its all over.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Canada - peterb
Didn't you love the sour grapes from Alonso?

A "lucky" win? I think not. Hamilton was the fastest man on the day by a long chalk.

Pity Davidson hit the beaver, he could have finished top 5.