The F1 & motorsport thread - Vol 10 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Vol 11 *****

As the title suggests, this thread is for all things Formula One and other general motorsport related stuff.

This is Volume 10.

Usual rules apply. When we get to around 100 posts, the thread will be locked and the next volume will start.

PLEASE NOTE

As with the IHAQ & the Computer threads, When posting a NEW topic, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each topic in it's own separate segment and stops each new topic from getting mixed up in amongst existing topics. Also please remember to change the subject header.

2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - Sofa Spud
Following last year's outright win by The Audi R8 TDI, they are back again this year, and will be challenged by Peugeot, who are fielding two V12 HDI diesel cars.

How long before the first diesel Porsche or Ferrari?
I dug this thread out to add that at the 12 hour stage of the Le Mans 24 Hours, the Audi R10 TDI's are in 1st and 2nd place with the Peugeot 908 HDi's in 3rd and 5th.
Update - the leading Audi has retired after an accident and now the top 3 are Audi/Peugeot/Peugeot. I won't update any more or this'll turn into a race commentary!!!
2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - nick
Nobody can overtake them because they can't see through the smoke. ;-)
2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - PhilW
Surely those Hdis can't last the distance? ;-)
--
Phil
2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - cheddar
Sports car racing needs to have more unity in the rule making, yes it is great that diesel tech is promoted in this way though the rules allow major motor co's to put millions into it as a PR exercise when the only real competition is a bunch of privateers, i.e. the Audi R8 was clearly a great sportscar over some years though no one else was spending the money that Audi were at the time, same last year with the R10, at least this year Audi has some competition from Peugeot.

It has not been the same since the Group C days with Jaguar and Sauber Merc taking on the Porsche 956 and 962's, in those days the customer Porsches were much the same spec as factory cars with big budgets behind them paid by sponsors with large pockets, great racing.
The final result - Audi R10 1st, Peugeout 908 HDI second but all their team mates had retired. Good going - a result with major implcations for the future of endurance racing, surely!
2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - tr7v8
Yup the rules were amended sightly this year & this guarantees that they'll be changed next year.
Comments on PH about a lot of people not interested in watching as the diesels are too quiet & boring!
Sorry, I mean Audi R8!!! error!!
Quote....>>>>>lot of people not interested in watching as the diesels are too quiet & boring!<<<

Surely the object of motor racing is to win, not to make a lot of noise!!!! I went to Le mans several times during the 90's including the year of the famous McLaren FI walkover and when machines like the front-engined Panoz were about and the noise from these cars was painful to the ears. Slightly quieter motor sport would make it more attractive to as many people as it turns off!
2007 Le Mans - Diesel extravaganza? - rogue-trooper
Agree that motorsport doesn't have to be noisy, but I am not sure how many are put off by the noise. And yes the Panoz was a wee bit noisy when I saw it running at Silverstone a few years back
USA GP - Manatee
Lewis has shown Alonso the way again in qualifying. I guess there's no way for Alonso to handle this that doesn't leave him looking more or less in Hamilton's shadow, other than redressing the balance of results - meanwhile his public whingeing, even if justified, is just sulking unless and until he is shown to be right about supposed favouritism for Lewis.

Strangely, outside the UK Alonso does seem to be getting the sympathy vote, if my European colleagues' reactions are anything to go by.
USA GP - Robin Reliant
To be fair to Alonso, it isn't whinging so much as mind games. He realises he has a serious challenger this year and it is from the worst possible source, within his own team. He has made a few attempts to rattle Hamilton and put pressure on on the team to favour him, so far without success.

All part of the backstabbing that makes F1 so fascinating.
--
USA GP - Westpig
must be irritating though........you're double world champion, with the current best team, no.1 on your car........and some upstart rookie comes along and steals your glory.....not only that he's breaking records and giving you a run for your money

i know let's use a few mind games and put the little sod in his place........oops, he's carried on giving you a run for your money, won a race at a circuit he's never driven on before and now got pole likewise on another one.......all with dignity, good grace and a big beaming smile

no wonder Fernando's miffed
USA GP - Manatee
Apparently the rub for Alonso is that Hamilton is getting all his (Alonso's) telemetry - e.g. he is getting Alonso's braking points etc - and his set-ups. This would seem to be what teams are about, but clearly helps the less experienced driver more even if Alonso has access to Hamilton's data as well (which he surely does). It will also accelerate Hamilton's learning of the track.

Can't see how this is unfair really - Senna apparently used Prost's data and set-ups initially. Conversely Herbert alleged when he was at Benneton with Schumacher that the information flow was only one way, to Schumacher - which rather diminishes Schumacher for me.

At the end of the day, if Hamilton wasn't as good a driver as Alonso, all the data in the world wouldn't get him in front, would it?
USA GP - Manatee
Good point about the mind games - maybe you're right Robin. Doesn't seem to be working though! And Ron would be daft to try and 'manage' Alonso ahead of Hamilton with pit stops/fuel tactics etc when Hamilton is doing so unbelievably well.

Whether Fernando is right about the favouritism or not, there's not much reason for Ron to change whatever he's doing.

And when Lewis does have some bad races, the dynamic will change. At least it's got me watching again.
USA GP - stunorthants26
In Canada, Alonso drove like a rookie - he made too many stupid mistakes and he SHOULD know better, hence he has decided to start pointing the finger and moaning - atleast Kimi, who is in much the same position as Alonso in terms of expectations not quite being met, is handling Massa's success with far more grace and maturity, despite Schuey hanging around in background.

If Alonso cant break Hamilton in the next few races, hes going to start looking like a rather expensive rookie himself. The idea of being the number one driver - clue is in the title really.

You know as soon as someone starts complaining publically, they doubt whether they can get it done on the track. As has been said, mind games. Problem is, Hamilton doesnt seem to care too much - every interview ive read, he plays down how well he is doing and predicts his success waning as he is still a rookie - one does get the feeling that he doesnt believe this for a second and he knows nobody else will either, hes just trying to keep the stroppy spaniard happy by kissing his backside.

Hamilton's real talking happens on the track, last weekend, accompanied by a couple of fingers stuck up in Alonso's direction.
USA GP - Robin Reliant
Hamilton is one of a select band of sportsmen - I was going to say sporting greats, but it is too early yet - who came into his chosen genre with the sheer class and mental confidence and toughness that normally only come only after a period of apprenticeship during which one finds ones feet.

I would class him potentially in the same mould as Cassius Clay, Tiger Woods and Eddy Merckx, to name three of a select band who dominated their peers from day one.
--
USA GP - rtj70
I think Alonso (amongst others) are assuming he is a rooky. But he obviously was not.

He was winning carting events from a very young age (even appeared on Blue Peter at age 12). At an award ceremony with Ron Dennis there he asked for an autograph and told him he would be racing GP. A little later (Ron still following him) he decided to sign a contract with Lewis at the age of 13 (?) with an option to sign him to the Mclaren F1 team.... Lots of support (finacial and mentoring) later and here he is. Ron Dennis signed him to the Mclaren team before it was even called Mclaren Mercedes let alone Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes.

Bottom line is Lewis Hamilton was a recognised talent when he was 12 and Mclaren invested. He has known the team a long time.

Question: give Hamilton's car to a world class driver (Massa or Raikonnen) and let them race... oh hang on the other Mclaren driver is twice world champion Alonso ;-)

Hamilton will make mistakes no doubt (few so far) and maybe not finish a few races. If he does not win the title this year then he will soon - this is not just luck.

In fact they speculate he will earn more than any other F1 driver, includin Shuey!

Heck, Shuey used to holiday in the USA because he was not recognised. Can Lewis Hamilton do that now ;-)
USA GP - Pugugly {P}
Good and he's a genuinely nice bloke - and what a difference that makes.
USA GP - rtj70
First year in many years when I've watched the F1 GP live again. Okay not quite live as I have Virgin Media V+ so wait a bit so I can fast forward boring bits.

Panic last weekend .... it did not record and we were at the Lowry watching Paco Pena. Box was too clever for its own good. Spotted programmes I had flagged to record.... found a rerun or two and recorded them. Manual recording of Canadian GP discarded. Had to wait for the highlights at 11:50pm!
USA GP - rogue-trooper
First year in many years when I've watched the F1 GP live again. Okay not
quite live as I have Virgin Media V+ so wait a bit so I can
fast forward boring bits.

Yup, I seem to have been interested in the last 2 races. Not sure if it was a coincidence that its the kids bath time or not. Anyway, got to about 12 laps to go and then the next thing I know is that they are playing the national anthems. It was that exciting....!
USA GP - Niallster
Apparently McLaren have a secret, well not so secret obviously, F1 simulator that is almost the same as a real car on a real circuit.

Cost zillions to produce and run and Hamilton has logged over 2,000 hours in it over the years.

So a new circuit might not feel too new to him.
USA GP - Westpig
i liked Martin Brundles' quip to James Allen during the race

JA...." very good driving by the back markers, not one hold up"

MB..." yes, but you wouldn't want that on your CV "

USA GP - rtj70
Someone correct me if wrong but.... to prove cars (and drivers?) have moved on since 2006 US F1 GP:

In 2006 Schumacher's race time was 1h34m35.199
In 2007 Hamilton's race time was 1h31m09.965

So Hamilton on a new circuit to him was quicker than Schumacher last year and Schuey was not new to the circuit. So the McMerc is good and so is Hamilton.

My real point though... Alonso was 28.4s behind Schuhey in 5th on 2006 so this year was only 1.5s behind Hamilton. So Alonso improved :-)

Serios point is Alonso was 5th in the USA GP last year and won the championship. Hamilton is good and I hope he continues to win but.... Alonso is not out yet.

Come on Lewis :-)
USA GP - Niallster
The point is that McLaren will do whatever it takes to win the F1 drivers championship.

If Hamilton gets X point ahead then he becomes their best shot and thus number 1 driver. Alonso can like it or lump it. Not there yet but heading in that direction.
USA GP - Dynamic Dave
With most F1 drivers they build up their talents over a number of years to the point of eventually hoping to end up in a top F1 team / win a race or two / be one of the best drivers / win the championship, etc.

If Hamilton achieves this year what others can only dream of through their entire F1 career what really has he got to look forward to?

If he moves to a lesser team in a year or two's time (through the temptation of mega money deals for instance), are people then going to start saying Lewis Who?
Would Lewis be tempted to quit?

Surely it would have been better off for him to have started off less successful and then made his way progressively up the ladder.

Not for one minute knocking him. The guy obviously has talent, but I just feel in a year or two's time he *could* end up being a has been and stuck right in the midfield with the people he classes as monkeys.
USA GP - Chad.R
My thoughts exactly DD.

If he does go and win the Championship (so early in his F1 career) then what motivation is left for him? "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt." Of course he can try and keep winning it ...even maybe beat Shuey's record someday.

Good luck to him anyway, seems to be a very nice and well grounded bloke, I'm sure he'll keep his feet on the ground whatever happens.
USA GP - Baskerville
If he does go and win the Championship (so early in his F1 career) then
what motivation is left for him? "Been there done that got the T-shirt." Of course
he can try and keep winning it ...even maybe beat Shuey's record someday.

I predict that Hamilton will one day be the Tiger Woods of golf.
USA GP - Lud
I predict that Hamilton will one day be the Tiger Woods of golf.

Just as Tiger Woods is already the Lewis Hamilton of motor racing, you mean?
USA GP - Baskerville
Just as Tiger Woods is already the Lewis Hamilton of motor racing you mean?

Exactly so. What great futures they have.
USA GP - Lud
What great futures they have.

As each other, in the wrong sports. Perhaps taken together they can be seen as the Williams sisters of snooker... :o)
USA GP - Baskerville
>> What great futures they have.
>>
As each other in the wrong sports. Perhaps taken together they can be seen as
the Williams sisters of snooker... :o)

Now that Michael Schumacher is the Gary Lineker of football pundits anything is possible I suppose.
USA GP - ForumNeedsModerating
The most impressive moment for me, was the attempted pit straight overtake by Alonso - when Alonso drew almost level just before the braking point, Lewis pulled slightly left - not enough to have impeded Alonso, but enough to dissuade Alonso's attempt to out-brake him. I'm sure Alonso would have been very difficult to re-take had that happened - both for 'political' & racing reasons. The toughness shown by Hamilton on that crucial rebuff, I'm sure, marked the psychological 'handing of the baton' (vis-a-vis, 'No1 Driver' driver status) to Hamilton.

Then there was the small incident a couple of laps later(?) , when Alsonso, apparently appealling to 'Daddy' Ron, swoops close to the pit wall - a gesture I'm sure known to fathers & mothers here - when one sibling appeals to the higher court of justice of parental jurisprudence against perceived injustice. Maybe I'm reading too much into that - but let's not forget these are still young guys in their twenties & not that far removed from teenage turmoils.

I might even have a punt on some ITV shares (currently languishing after the fall-out of the failed ITV digital foray & dreadful me-too-reality-tv
attempts) on the back of Lewis's F1 rejuvenation.
USA GP - henry k
Then there was the small incident a couple of laps later(?) when Alsonso apparently appealling
to 'Daddy' Ron swoops close to the pit wall.....

>> Maybe I'm reading too much into that -

>>
Alonso said he was trying to cool the car!
USA GP - ForumNeedsModerating
>>Alonso said he was trying to cool the car!

I'm no physicist, but, a 3-4 second foray onto the non-sunny(?) side of the track for one lap out of 72 would seem to make that effect so small as to be less use than the extra distance travelled & greater amount of fuel used (..not forgetting also, the greater heat put into the tyres from the lateral g of 2 extra turns)
I.O.M. TT - Martin Devon
Evening all. Did anybody manage to get a decent recording off BBC 2 on Sunday at 13.00. hrs of the Senior TT highlights. My Daughter tried for me but the results are uugh!! If so is there any chance of a copy on video or DVD. Payment obviously waiting.

TIA.....................................VBR......MD.
I.O.M. TT - apm
Have a look here- all available to download.

www.dukevideo.com/

BW,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
Volvo 940S estate 1992
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
I.O.M. TT - Martin Devon
Thank you Sir.

Best regards...........MD
Goodwood Festival of Speed - DP
It's that time of year again (today, tomorrow and Sunday). - the best event in the British motorsport calendar in my humble opinion.

Superb line-up this year:

Michael Ammermüller, Red Bull racing?s test driver, will take to the hill in the 2007 Red Bull-Renault RB3.
Chris Atkinson, WRC driver for Subaru, will take to the hill and the Forest Rally Stage in a Subaru Impreza WRC on the Saturday of the Festival.
Rowan Atkinson, actor and comedian, will drive the Napier-Railton, Brooklands Special, which is the perpetual lap record holder at Brooklands.
Richard Attwood, popular Le Mans winner, will be driving a 1987 Porsche 961 at the Festival.
Derek Bell, five times Le Mans winner, will once more be at the Festival all three days, driving a Porsche 956, 917/30 and a
Mirage-Ford GR7.
Stig Blomqvist, former World Rally Champion, will drive an Audi Quattro S1 on the Forest Rally Stage and the mighty Quattro ?Pikes Peak? car on the hillclimb.
Troy Bayliss, WSB champion, will be at the Festival on Friday and Saturday, riding his 999F07 race bike.
David Brabham, son of World Champion Sir Jack Brabham, will take to the hill in the Aston Martin DBR9 at the Festival this year.
Russell Brookes, former British Champion and star of the British circuit, will drive his 1985 title-winning Opel Manta 400 all weekend on the Forest Rally Stage.
Ralph Bryans, Former Honda works motorcycle star, will ride some of the classic racing bikes brought to the Festival by Honda Collection Hall throughout the weekend.
Andy Burton, hero of British rallying, will be in action on the Forest Rally Stage over the weekend in his unique Peugeot-Cosworth.
Jenson Button, star driver for Honda Racing F1 team, will drive the Honda RA107 on Sunday and take part in the Goodwood Organic Milk Cycle Race on Saturday .
Troy Corser, former WSB champion, will ride the Motor Italia Yamaha YZF R1 up the hill at the Festival.
Paul Dallenbach, multiple Pike?s Peak winner, will take to the hill in his purpose-built Dallenbach ?Pikes Peak Special? open wheeler.
Anthony Davidson, current F1 star with the Super Aguri team, will be taking to the hill in a historic Williams-Honda FW11 F1 car.
Helmut Daehne, works BMW motorcycling legend and worthy winner of the Isle of Man TT, will ride his title-winning BMW R90S throughout the weekend.
Marcus Dodd, twice British Rally Champion, will drive the 2003 Hyundai Accent WRC car all weekend on the Forest Rally Stage.
Paddy Driver, former TT and 500cc World Championship contender, will ride a 1958 Manx Norton 500.
Vic Elford, a leading talent in Sports Cars and also a Grand Prix driver, will be back behind the wheel of the legendary Chaparral-Chevrolet 2J ?sucker car?, which he raced in the 1970.
Sean Emmett, BSB team PR Branson Honda rider, will take to the hill on a Suzuki RGV500.
Gwyndaf Evans, rallying wizard who won the British Championship and also competed in WRC events, will share a drive with Guy Wilks in the Sun Mobil 1 Ford Focus WRC car.
Tony Fall, former works BMC and Datsun rally driver, will be in action in a Datsun 240Z all weekend on the Forest Rally Stage.
Gene Felton, hero of NASCAR and TransAm racing, will be driving a Dodge Charger over the weekend.
Gil de Ferran, Sporting Director of the Honda F1 team, will drive a Williams-Honda FW11B on Sunday.
Emerson Fittipaldi ? Double F1 world champion, Indy 500 winner and 1989 Indycar champion, will be reunited with the Lotus 49B in which he made his GP debut.
Marc Gene, test driver for Scuderia Ferrari, is expected to drive the 2006 Ferrari F1 car.
Carl Fogarty, four-times WSB Champion, will take to the hill on the MV Agusta F4R 312.
Peter Gethin ? Formula 1 driver for McLaren and BRM, will be in action in the BRM P160 in which he achieved the fastest?Grand Prix in history, a record which stood for more than 30 years.
Stuart Graham, one of the few men to win TT?s on two and four wheels ? will take to the hill on some of the classic racing bikes brought to the Festival by Honda Collection Hall throughout the weekend.
Andy Green, holder of the World Land Speed Record, will be at the Festival with the JCB Dieselmax team.
John Haugland, former works Skoda rally driver, will drive the Skoda 130RS in which he competed in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Lewis Hamilton, young British Formula One sensation will take to the hill in an F1 McLaren.
Peter Hardman, renowned historic racing specialist, will be as spectacular as ever, driving the Ferrari 330 P3 on the Goodwood hill.
Damon Hill, Britain?s last Formula 1 World Champion, will drive a Lotus 49B, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and will take part in the Goodwood Organic Milk Cycle Race on Sunday
Ernst Hiller, former winner of the German street championship, will ride the BMW 500 Type 225 Kompressor.
Neil Hodgson, former WSB Champion, will ride his 2003 championship winning 999R all weekend.
Paddy Hopkirk, British rally driver, will be making his debut on the Forest Rally Stage in an ex-works Mini Cooper S.
Freddie Hunt, 19-year-old son of 1976 World Champion James Hunt, is expected to drive one of his father?s old racing cars, at the Festival.
Nick Jefferies, former TT winner, will take to the hill at the Festival.
Yukio Kagayama, BSB and WSB rider, will be in action all weekend on an Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 K7.
Rupert Keegan ? Former F1 driver for both Hesketh and Surtees as well as World Sportscar Championship star ? will drive a Ford F3L sports car up the Goodwood hill over the weekend.
Christian Klien, test driver with Honda F1 team, is expected to drive the Honda RA107 F1 car on Saturday.
David Leslie, renowned British sports and touring car driver, will be reunited with the Aston Martin AMR1 Group C car at the Festival.
Arie Luyendyk, twice winner of the Indycar 500, will be in action on the Goodwood hillclimb in a Nissan R90 Group C car.
Ray Mallock, renowned star of sports car racing, will be reunited with the Aston Martin Nimrod C2B Group C car over the three days of the Festival.
The Earl of March will drive a Lola T90 Indycar and a Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185 over the weekend.
Nick Mason, the Pink Floyd drummer and keen motor enthusiast, will drive the Auto Union Type D from Audi Tradition.
Jochen Mass, former Grand Prix star and Le Mans winner, will drive a Mercedes-Benz W196 and Dodge Charger over the weekend of the Festival.
John McGuinness, multiple TT winner, will ride the HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR that he rode to victory in the recent Isle of Man TT.
Bob McMillan, Honda team boss during the Joey Dunlop era, will be riding the 2000 Honda VTR1000 SP-1 on which Dunlop won the last of his record 26 TT victories.
Allan McNish, Le Mans winner and former GP star, will drive the record-breaking Audi R10 diesel Le Mans car throughout the weekend.
Colin McRae, former World Rally Champion, will be in action all weekend on the Forest Rally Stage, and will drive his 2007 McRae R4, which is being launched at the Festival.
Jeremy McWilliams, Grand Prix rider and stalwart of motorcycle racing, will be riding the 2007 Ilmor X1 MotoGP bike.
Hannu Mikkola, 1983 World Rally Champion and designer of the Goodwood Forest Rally Stage, will drive an Audi Quattro A2 throughout the weekend on the rally course he created, and an Audi Sport Quattro S1 'Pikes Peak' up the hill.
Rod Millen, Kiwi hillclimbing legend and Pike?s Peak winner, will drive his Toyota Pike?s Peak car at the event.
Sammy Miller?The world's greatest trials rider, with an unparalleled number of victories, also a world-class road racer during the 1950s?will be riding a selection of bikes from his vast collection.
Bill Milliken, designer of the famous Milliken MX1 Camber Car, will drive his creation over the course of the weekend.
Franck Montagny, test driver for the Toyota F1 team, will be taking to the hill in the latest Toyota F1 car on Friday and Sunday.
Sir Stirling Moss, probably Britain?s greatest-ever never to win a World Formula 1 title, will drive the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR in which he won the 1955 Mille Miglia, as well as the unique four-wheel drive Ferguson-Climax Project 99 F1 car.
Michele Mouton ? the only female rally driver to win a WRC event and the first to win the famous ?Pikes Peak? International Hillclimb ? will be driving the Audi Quattro Coupe S1 'Pikes Peak' up the hill at Goodwood.
Kazuki Nakajima ? Son of Satoru Nakajima, the first ever full time F1 driver from Japan ? will drive the Williams-Toyota FW29 on Saturday and Sunday.
Jackie Oliver ? Le Mans winner, F1 driver and former Arrows F1 team owner ? will drive a Porsche 917K and a McLaren M19G F1 car.
Scott Parker, flat-track legend and nine times winner of the AMA National Championships, will ride a Harley-Davidson XR-1200 Prototype over the course of the weekend.
Riccardo Patrese, F1's longest servant, with 256 GP starts, will drive a Ferrari 246 Dino, Lancia Beta Montecarlo and Lancia LC1 up the hill.
Chris Pfeiffer, World Stunt Champion, will be performing his daring stunts along the Goodwood hillclimb.
Andy Priaulx, Double World Touring Car Champion, will drive his 2007 title-winning BMW 320i WTCC all weekend.
Brian Redman, F1 driver with a brilliant career in sports cars for Ferrari and Porsche, will drive a BRM P25 up the hill over the weekend.
Jim Redman, multiple World Championship-winning motorcyclist, will take to the hill on some of the classic racing bikes brought to the Festival by Honda Collection Hall throughout the weekend.
Anthony Reid, stalwart of the British Touring Car Championship, will drive a Nissan Primera and a 350Z GT500 at the Festival.
Robert Reid ? former co-driver of England?s only World Rally Champion, Richard Burns ? will be at the Festival throughout the weekend, managing the activities of The Richard Burns Foundation.
David Richards, ex-rally co-driver and principal of Prodrive, will be at the Festival during the weekend.
Bob Riggle, All American drag racing showman, will be back at Goodwood to perform mind-blowing 100-metre wheelies in the 1100bhp Plymouth Barracuda ?Hurst Hemi Under Glass?.
Tommy Robb, former works rider for Honda, will take to the hill on some of the classic racing bikes brought to the Festival by Honda Collection Hall throughout the weekend.
Scott Russell, five-times winner of the Daytona 200, will ride a Kawasaki ZXR750 up the hill at the Festival.
Michael Rutter, British Superbike rider, will ride the Isilon MSS Discovery Kawasaki ZX10R at the Festival this year.
Terry Rymer, the first British rider to win a World Superbike race, will be in action on a Yamaha OW01 at the Festival.
Carlos Sainz, former Spanish rally driver and twice winner of the World Rally Championship, will take to the Forest Rally Stage in a 1993 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST185.
Ralf Schumacher, F1 driver for the Toyota F1 team, will be here on Saturday driving the Toyota TF106 car.
Vern Schuppan, 1983 Le Mans 24 Hour winner and Japanese Sports Car Champion, will take to the hill in a Porsche 962 and 935 'Baby' over the weekend of the Festival.
Petter Solberg, former World Rally Champion, will take to the hill and the Forest Rally Stage in a Subaru Impreza WRC on the Friday of the Festival.
Sir Jackie Stewart, Britain's most accomplished Champion, having lifted the F1 crown three times, will drive a 1966 Lola-Ford T90 up the hill.
Lyn St James, the most successful woman in the history of CART racing, will drive the 1988 Ford Thunderbird in which she set 31 speed records at Talledaga.
Marc Surer former F1 driver will drive a BMW Z4M Coupe at the Festival.
John Surtees ? seven-time Motorcycle World Champion and F1 Champion for Ferrari, thereby the only man to win the world titles on two wheels and four ? will be in action in the Honda RA301.
Luigi Taveri, former works rider and TT winner will take to the hill on a Honda RC145 at the Festival.
Danny Thompson ? Bonneville speed record holder and son of the legendary Mickey Thompson-?will share a drive in the Thompson-Buick Special with Al Unser Snr.
Al Unser Snr, four time winner of the Indy 500, will take to the hill in a Thompson-Buick Special.
Bjőrn Waldegård, rallying superstar and the first-ever winner of the Drivers? World Championship, will take to the hill and the Forest Rally Stage in a Toyota Celica GT4 ST 165.
Robbie Walker, son of legendary team-owner and car collector Rob Walker, will drive his father?s Delahaye 135S up the hill.
Mark Webber, F1 driver for Red Bull Racing, will be at the Festival and will take part in the Goodwood Organic Milk Cycle Race.
Guy Wilks, leading British rally driver, will share a drive with Gwyndaf Evans in the Sun Mobil 1 Ford Focus WRC car.
Charlie Williams, works Yamaha TT rider and multiple Isle of Man TT winner, is expected to ride a Yamaha TZ250G up the hill at the Festival.
Malcolm Wilson?Britain?s leading rally driver during the explosive Group B period in the 1980s and principal of the Ford M-Sport works rally team ? will drive the Ford Focus WRC on Sunday.
Matthew Wilson?WRC driver and son of Group B star Malcolm, will drive the Stobart Ford Focus WRC up the hill and round the Forest Rally Stage.

Anyone going?

Cheers
DP

{This will at some point be moved to the current F1 & general motorsport thread - DD}

Goodwood Festival of Speed - mike hannon
My son and his family will be camping there in the rain. When he said 'come over for Goodwood' I thought 'Can't be bothered'.
Doh...
Goodwood Festival of Speed - henry k
The route to the festival I use from London is A3 A27, ignore the signs and go through Chichester and take the A286 north to Singleton and turn right into the queue there.
If you are not aware, some roads are blocked off / one way in the immediate area making some routes on the map not possible.

A fantastic meting.
Goodwood Festival of Speed - Conditional Identity
That list says that Richard Burns will be there......
"Robert Reid ? former co-driver of England?s only World Rally Champion, Richard Burns ? will be at the Festival throughout the weekend, managing the activities of The Richard Burns Foundation."
Goodwood Festival of Speed - Group B
Anyone going?

Please dont rub it in, I'm *not* going, again. Too much of a trek and too much other boring but important stuff to do.. Bah!
Goodwood Festival of Speed - turbo11
Not going this year,but have been many times previous as spectator and worker.A great day out, very relaxing even when your working their.I would thoroughly recommend it.
Goodwood Festival of Speed - boxsterboy
I wil go one year when my kids are just a little bit older and will get more out of it.

The same applies to Le Mans and Monaco GP (the later may require a second mortgage, but it has to be done!).
Goodwood Festival of Speed - Westpig
Been twice and consider it a cracking day out...and what's more 'er indoors agrees.....not going this year, but considering the Revival in Sept........anyone willing to give me any feedback re that please?
Goodwood Festival of Speed - bathtub tom
' Monaco GP (the later may require a second mortgage, but it has to be done!). '

A colleague stayed down the coast, and caught a train in. He reckoned it saved him a fortune.
Goodwood Festival of Speed - mike hannon
Quite right. You can stay in Menton or as far along the coast as Vintimiglia - just into Italy - and it's still a short journey into the centre of Monte Carlo by incredibly cheap train or bus. Go for it!
Goodwood Festival of Speed - henry k
Revival. I went last year so a few bits of info.

Real racing. No holding back so a a few offs and the chicane flower boxes were rearranged in one event. A very wide range of vehicles racing with some very unexpected examples of road cars.

About half the attendees are in period dresss, some military, some 1920s/30s/40s/50s/60s.
This included whole families from babies and children upwards.
"So in between the racing you can admire the fashions and amusing cameo role-playing from local drama students around the paddock,"

NO modern vehicles allowed inside the perimeter of the circuit. All sorts of vehicles on display.
You can NOT wander round the main paddock like The Festival of Speed. IIRC members only.

I went with spare tickets. No refund on entrance ticket as it is all pay in advance.
I left my grandstand ticket at the info desk and the called me to say it had been resold at face value. (The buyer spent 20 mins max in his seat). If you want a grandstand seat and they are all sold then ask at the enquiries desk for any returns.

Have a look at their site for general info
www.goodwood.co.uk/revival/faqs.asp

Goodwood Festival of Speed - umistim
Absolutely brilliant day today.(Friday)
In spite of poor weather forecast no rain during the time we were present,
The highlight for us was the display of 5 (out of only six manufactured) Bugatti Royale's. These must be the most magnificent motor cars ever produced. 15.5 litre straight eight cylinder engines, and the most elegant and memorable bodywork. Probably the only chance you will ever get to see them all together. They have been gathered from America ,France, Germany and I cannot remember where the other two are kept however none are based in the U.K.
One of he best days in the motoring calender.
Goodwood Festival of Speed - Chicken Vindaloo
I went yesterday (Friday). Apart from the four hour journey through torrential rain, it was an excellent day. Saw Petter Solberg, Andy Prilaux and tried to take David Brabham's photo while he was on his mobile. Once he'd clocked me, he scuttled off.

I'd not been before and was sceptical about being able to get up, close and personal with the cars. After standing 2' away from one of Schuey's Ferrari's being started up, I can attest to the fact that a) I'm still deaf, and b) you can get to prod and poke around all the cars in the paddock. The only downer is the people who stand gorping in front of the cars while you're trying to photograph them. Some people just have no consideration for others. There was too much exotica in the paddock to list here but it was an impressive collection.

The on-track action was great. Loads of noise, tyre smoke and essence of racing fuel. After a rain shower, some chappie destroyed an Aston going up the hill, but emerged unscathed. I enjoyed seeing a Lotus 79 in action for the first time and to see another Veyron and an R8 in the Supercar section made the day. The Pikes Peaks cars were particularly impressive for their performance and noise.

All in all, I can thoroughly recommend going. Ok, it's a long way if you're the other side of the M25, but it's worth the pain (especially the Friday Night Rush Hour...). Everything about the event is so well worked out. Following the alternative route in, there was no queueing involved. The boys in blue got us out without any hassle too.

Will I go next year? Yes, but I'm going to go down the night before and stay in a hotel!
Goodwood Festival of Speed - R75
Someone has taken some good pics of it here

tinyurl.com/2zkqtb

Just got back and what a washout! The rain did not let up all day, and a lot of cars didn't run because of owners and drivers concerns over the atrocious conditions. The stuff on the hill was being driven much more sedately than usual too, but the forest rally stage was effectively a bog, meaning very little ran here at all.

Highlights were Russell Brookes defying the weather and treacherous conditions in his Group B Manta 400, and driving the nuts off the thing despite the mudbath. Marcus Dodd put on a fantastic show in the 2003 WRC Hyundai Accent as well. My God, those anti-lag systems sound amazing.

On the hill, Lewis put on a good show in the McLaren (to rapturous applause), and Stig Blomqvist's Pike's Peak Audi Quattro gave me goosebumps as it howled past. What a noise! Oh and my first look at the Veyron in the flesh. Amazing machine!

Still well worth the trip, but the weather did its absolute worst. Hard to believe it's June.

Here's to next year!

Cheers
DP

Tyre problems ! MotoGP - cheddar
Not sure of this should go here or the Silly Thread or perhaps Motoring Jokes:

Did anyone watch the MotoGP race yesterday, Valentino Rossi had just passed Casey Stoner for the lead and was pulling away:

Steve Parrish said "seems like Casey's got tyre problems"

Charlie Cox replied "yeah, they are not going round fast enough"

Classic!
Tyre problems ! MotoGP - helicopter
SWMBO and I both watched the race and laughed out loud at the comment - immaculate deadpan timing by Charlie Cox.

Another classic race by Rossi - when he gets his head down it seems there is just no one to beat him, more heartstopping overtakes in one race than a season of F1.
French GP - Lud
Nice to see Ferrari back on form, and Raikkonen. Massa was out of luck and so once again was the poor world champion. Kubica discreetly terrific. Young Hamilton didn't look all that pleased with his eighth podium in a row. I do hope all the clamour isn't getting to him.

{Subject header changed and moved to the correct part of the thread, as per the "PLEASE NOTE" message at the top - DD}
French GP - Westpig
Button didn't do too bad either, especially from where he started from
French GP - Altea Ego
Interesting race, Alonso throwing his car at everyone. Clearly rubbish pit stop strategy from the woking boys, but hey any race where you get a podium AND increase your lead over your nearest competitor cant be bad.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
French GP - Robin Reliant
Interesting to see how this year engine life has not been an issue. Previously who was on their first or second race with the same lump was a big issue, but they must have done some serious work on reliability over the winter because it no longer seems to matter.
--
French GP - Lud
they must have done some serious work on reliability over the winter because it
no longer seems to matter.
--

Engines are staying together longer because of the 19,000 rpm limit imposed by the rules, surely?
French GP - Altea Ego
Indeed, limited to 19k revs, most are geared to run to 18.5k revs max. They use to be peaking 20k previously so that aids engine durablity.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yamaha's 150 top flight GP wins - cheddar
www.yamaha-racing.com/Racing/motogp/bike/150gpwins/

Doesn't that 1990 OWC1 look superb!
Earlier Hamilton Comments - Altea Ego
A few posts back I was very rude about Hamilton. Something like "personality of a supermarket trolley"

I take it all back. And here is why.

There is something of the schumaker about him. He is developing a fabulous sneer, a great deadpan face when throwing destabilising remarks (About Alonso: "I thought he would be faster than that" = ie he is slow). In photos he puts an arm over other drivers shoulders in a patronising manner, sometimes digging his fingers into the nerves, Always engineers a shot to make him look taller than the others. Other drivers always look uncomfortable in his presence.

If he develops that sneer to Schumie levels he will go a long way.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Earlier Hamilton Comments - Lud
Honestly TVM, the guy's a driver not an actress.

No doubt gamesmanship plays a part in motor racing. But I can't help feeling this meticulous analysis of sneers and close-up shots of fingers digging into chakra points is a bit, well, Hello! or even Jackie...

What's wrong with showing a clean pair of back wheels to the opposition in a manly and sporting fashion?
Lud, you do not appreciate the ego's, the gamesmanship, the skulduggery, the politics at work in Formula1. Gamesmanship - nothing comes close. Actress? Yes F1 is drama.

It must be your age.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Never said it wasn't drama, or that there was no gamesmanship or skulduggery.

It's just that all this stuff is usually secondary to the essential business of going faster than the others over a couple of hours.

Perhaps the problem these days is the cars being so similar and like inverted aeroplanes, so that the driving is pretty far removed from the sort most of us do. That, I agree, makes the racing boring by the standards of the old, crossply, straw-bale, racing-drift days. And perhaps all these technicolor closeups of blokes blushing and scowling and putting on their makeup are supposed to make up for it.

You're right, it must be my age.
Earlier Hamilton Comments - cheddar
And what have messers Hamilton and Alonso got to do with Yamaha's 150 top flight GP wins ?
Very sorry cheddar. If you look up a bit you will see that it's TVM's fault, and that DD has negligently failed to correct the title as he did for me.

{sorted now. Had other more important things to deal with beforehand - DD}
Never said it wasn't drama, or that there was no gamesmanship or skulduggery.

It's just that all this stuff is usually secondary to the essential business of going faster than the others over a couple of hours.

Except when the gamesmanship and skulduggery gets revealed......................

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/62...m
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Earlier Hamilton Comments - Westpig
Except when the gamesmanship and skulduggery gets revealed......................

not saying it's right...but this really cannot be the first time this has happened, can it?
Earlier Hamilton Comments - cheddar
Points deduction ?

Might knock Ron's knighthood on the head!
Points deduction ?

There is no rule in F1 per say against spying, or theft so any points deduction would have to be on a bringing sport into disrepute charge if there is one.

but

Its in the hands of the police, who may wish to bring criminal charges (tho I doubt it - its probably a civil lawsuite). Either way italian police are involved at that means it will take years.

Untill the legal process is concluded, the FIA can do nothing by way or sanctions or punishment.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Earlier Hamilton Comments - henry k
>>Untill the legal process is concluded, the FIA can do nothing by way or sanctions or punishment.

McLaren have been summoned by Formula One's governing body, the FIA, to face charges of breaking the sport's rules.

It seems that the FIA, have jumped on McLaren (under one of the disrepute clauses) based on the fact the case in London was closed, where couchlan admitted he had the details.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Earlier Hamilton Comments - PR {P}
It seems more murky than that, a McLaren director knew he had the documents. This is an interesting read.....

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60737

Yes, interesting isn't it? Just like cold war politics, moles, double agents, could be a full-blown scandal.

But don't forget the immediate purpose of this industrial espionage, if such there has been. It is part of the ongoing effort to go faster than the opposition for a couple of hours.

The skulduggery is coming out. Looks like personal greed is at work here.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Silverstone GP - henry k
Thank you BBC for your announcement re some of the result of F1 in the middle of tennis :-(((
There must be quite a few who have the F1 on tape while watching the tennis.
Silverstone - Lud
The invisible Kubica solid again. Good drive from Massa. Lewis Hamilton again looked dissatisfied with third, and perhaps with being half a minute behind the World Champion. Ron Dennis said it was just hard luck, third was the best he could get and the team had turned the afterburners down to preserve the engine, so there. Hammers may have to work hard to stay in the championship lead.

Again, good to see Raikkonen back on form. What I like best about him is his passionate and animated manner at the post-race press conference. Makes all these Latins look like daleks :o)
Silverstone - rtj70
I recorded it an usual on Virgin V+ so I can then start watching later and speed forward. Usually see the end around live time as it happens. I am very careful to avoid seeing the news (including when the wife is watching news) to avoid spoiling it.

This race after the first few laps it looked like Hamilton was not going to win. Raikonnen was clearely faster and looking to overtake on track but did it in a pit-stop. Hamilton also human with his first mistake.

Whether he wins the championship or not is irrelevant - looks at his points already. If he stopped racing for the rest of the season to give the others a chance he'd still be one of the top point scorers!

So he's on the podium for the ninth time.... 8 races more and 14 points ahead of Alonso. It will be a close finish to the reason. I would love Hamilton to win the title but if he came second or even third what an achievement in the first reason. What a talented racing driver who is also a great personality.

Of today's racers, Massa impressed me most. Started in the pits one from last and raced to fifth. Yes he should get ahead of the slower cars but he overtook a lot of fairly fast cars. So the Ferrari is very good on this track. Alonso started in 10th last weekend and finished seventh....

Second most impressive is Kubica. Remember his terriblr crash and he still outdrives his teammate. If BMW were not already getting competitive there's be interest him for better team next season. But will anyone move from Ferrari or (Vodafone) Mclaren Mercedes?

One thing I picked up on... when Hamilton was racing Formula Renault, his sponsor was Tag Heuer (one of the Mclaren owners)... so he's been looked after for a long time which is good to see. Spot talent and help them get better.

Sorry for long post.
Silverstone - Manatee
I watched the race live at the pictures, with Jonathan Palmer commentating, no adverts and no James Allen (the best bit). This was a new thing from Vue cinemas who ran it at 10 venues round the country. £15 included an official race programme, a bottle of Coca Cola and a small bag of popcorn.

I'll probably do it again - though the exclusive interview with Lewis Hamilton, promised at the start of the show, didn't materialise. It was in HD, which is actually not that impressive at cinema screen size, but it was possible to see more detail than on my small TV at home, and the onboard shots made me quite carsick!

Much I I would have liked to see Hammy win, it was better to have some real form coming from Ferrari, and for Alonso to balance things up a bit. even if it didn't do much for his gloomy manner.
Silverstone - Armitage Shanks {p}
I would have liked to see Hammy win....

PLEASE don't F1 degenerate into these ridiculous diminuntive names ending 'Y' like cricketers - Harmy, Warny, Hoggy. Hammy was a hamster for goodness sake! Lewis Hamilton is Lewis Hamilton and let's call him that. He has done enough this year to earn a lot of respect and no need for a daft demeaning name!

{Moves to the post that your comment refers to - DD}
Silverstone - Altea Ego
You forgot Schummy, and David coulthard (wally)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I didn't foget them - the whole nick name scene makes me feel sicky!
Silverstone - Altea Ego
Never mind shanksey
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Luckily I have a white porcelain Armitage Shanks thingy to be sicky into!
Silverstone - Lud
You didn't complain specifically about 'Hammers', AS. Have I got away with it, or does it make you feel sickers?
At least Hammers sounds tough and manly, assuming you can't bring yourself to use his correct name! Hammy is just weedy and fluffy and an insult to a talented sportsman!
Silverstone - Manatee
I'm playing the "I was being ironic" card.
Silverstone - Pugugly {P}
Yawn. Would asking for this to go back on track (! ) be a reasonable question ?
yes but what about GP2? - JH
The thread title is "Motorsport" so, who came back to watch the GP2 races? Unbelievable! Cars 1 & 2, same team, crashing into each other straight off the grid. I bet they were popular with the team boss. And how did that guy live after sliding for yards upside down down the track wall? Not to mention all the bumps, jostles and minor shunts.

My theory is that the cars are unmanned and remote controlled by a Playstation controller. I've just had my first go on a PS2 and discovered that you steer with your left thumb. It can't be done...

JH
German GP - AlastairW
In another thread many are moaning about the quality of the punditry on offer. For real commentry they could do worse than listen to the next race on Radio 5 Live, as for one week only Murray Walker is back (due to the normal commantator being on paternity leave). I fear he may explode if young Lewis manages a win!