Buying 4x4 for export to Sri Lanka - Steve Boreham
Posted this earlier today on the original thread, but it doesn't appear as a 'new' post, so I'll start a new thread again: When the original thread was active, back in March, I promised to share the outcome.

From advice received, the conclusion that my friend drew was not to buy a relatively low budget Japanese 4x4, as originally intended.

After careful thought, he instead chose to spend more cash, and purchase a Mercedes 180 automatic, 'S' reg, 16,000 miles, clean HPI, and a genereral air of being an honest motor (John!)

His reasons?
The price was right.

A relatively simple car, though at the same time, well built.

Automatic suits Colombo traffic.

Large enough for a family.

If the car is exported to Sri Lanka as planned, it is suitable both for running over many years as a private car, or for sale at reasonable profit, even after paying import taxes and freight charges. He does not believe servicing will be an issue. The fact that the car is not new, and he will own it in the UK for over 12 months before potential export are big factors in his favour.

Equally, if plans change, or he realises that he got his sums wrong, it is ideal for him to sell in the UK, without huge loss, on departure at end of contract.

Again, many thanks for helping him fuel the decision making process.

/Steve
Re: Buying 4x4 for export to Sri Lanka - Ajit Matthew
I think he has done the right thing
Re: Buying 4x4 for export to Sri Lanka - Chad.R
Sound choice - Sri Lankans love Mercedes - Not entirely sure about the auto option though - but if he ends up selling in the UK, auto would be best.

Good luck,

Chad.R

P.S. "Dima" are the (or were) the agents for MB in Colombo.