Renting a Van - Paulfrance
My son who is a bricklayer wishes to rent a van, preferably a Ford Connect, paying on a monthly basis with maintenance included. He would also like unlimited mileage if possible. He doesn't want to buy the vehicle i.e.lease purchase etc but just wants to rent one for a three year period. The van will get dirty and possibly "mucked up" as he will be carrying materials. He is not registered for Vat. Would appreciate advice please on the best way forward on this one. Thanks.
Renting a Van - local yokel
The issue here will be forecasting the future value of the van - with unlimited mileage and his trade that's almost impossible. Most agreements specify a mileage allowance, and a cost per mile over that, but they are not expecting it to be covered in muck at the end. He could line the van, and take real care of it, though, but if they know his trade they may assume the worst.

The second issue is his VAT status. My guess is that HMRC won't let him register for VAT?

Would he be better off finding a three year old van that was in good shape and taking out a loan for it?
Renting a Van - Martin Devon
AFAIK they can't stop him registering for v.a.t.. he doesn't have to be at the threshold. Anyone can register. Better off owning it and have something to sell and he may take a little more care of it. Started my career in the same way. I had a gang of guys and we all worked out of a Mini van. It actually worked quite well. Hope he does OK.

vbr...............................MD
Renting a Van - Vansboy
If he REALLY doesn't want to own it, most of the daily rental companies, will offer long term rentals. In fact, if you look at a lot of big construction projects, plenty of vans will have an Enterprise, or whover sticker, as well as the contractors signage, affixed.

He won't need to worry about specific maintainence costings, 'cos they'll (in theory) handle it all for him. Tyre damge, but not wear, will be his responsobility, but other than fueling it & oil, it'll be pretty much a fixed monthly payment.

& as for it getting dirty, the very best people for affordable regular cleaning - as opposed to prefessional valeting - are the guys from Poland, who have taken over virtually every disused filling staion in the UK!!

He'd ber better off buying, I think you'll find, though!

VB
Renting a Van - Falkirk Bairn
You could get a rental based on ZERO residual value however this is a could as it would depend o him being able to prove he hasa good credit status and that may be difficult if he is self employed and has no accounts etc. A lawyer/dcoctor/dentist would be OK