New cars that are a long term keeper? - Manatee
Inspired by Flying Red's thread, and not wanting to hijack it.

I know several people who, on or near retirement, have bought a car to "see them out" - in other words they're not planning a replacement cycle and hoping it will last as long as they do.

Is there a car/marque, that you could buy now, that you could reasonably expect to be economic to maintain for 10 -15 years? Or is it rather a case of just buying the most likely to be reliable and hoping it fails later rather than sooner? What would you buy?
New cars that are a long term keeper? - Brian Tryzers
Bentley Azure (again!) ought to do it. Would give the next generation an incentive to be nice to you, too!
}8---)
New cars that are a long term keeper? - nick1975
i think any mainstream modern car will get you there

"beyond economic to repair" is misleading and in my view often used to convince people to go for a new motor

but this harps back to the recent thread about UKs love of new cars v the French that keep them going

people like shiney new stuff, for whatever reason, but its exactly that a desire, a like, not a need

er honda jazz?

New cars that are a long term keeper? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
A Ford Mondeo would do it - it may not always be completely faultless, but most repairs will be reasonably priced.

Alternatively, and more likely to be my choice - something Japanese. My mother has a 15 year old Corolla which feels and runs like new. I don't think the Brit-built stuff is as good, but it still isn't bad, just been in a friend's 13 year old Carina E which is still extremely sound mechanically even if the lesser quality of items such as window rubbers is starting to show through. I recommended this car to him about 6 years ago and nothing has failed in the interim period.
New cars that are a long term keeper? - jase1
I guess for a "keeper", the key would be something reliable, not rust-prone and simple -- as few toys as possible, and nothing that could potentially cripple the car if it did break down the line.

I suspect this is why a lot of people end up buying things like the Daihatsu Sirion, in my experience living down the road from an OAP bungalow block, the Daihatsus seem to run and run.

Thing is though, if you know you need to make a car last 15-20 years, you'll look after it. Even old rotboxes like the original Metro can be made to have a ridiculously long life if treated properly.

The only question mark being, if you bought something like a Daewoo Kalos, would the parts be readily available in 15 years time. Other than that, as nick1975 says I'd be surprised if any new car treated properly didn't last.
New cars that are a long term keeper? - Micky
">economic to maintain<"

LR Defender