Converting an automatic to manual ? - Chad.R
Before you jump on my head and start shouting that I?ve started a new thread where this topic has been discussed earlier ? I did a search and didn?t find anything. So here goes;

How difficult would it be to convert an automatic car to manual ? ? I know that current autos may prove problematic as all the electronics may be linked. I was thinking more of late 80's or early 90's cars, where the electronics, if at all, were fairly "basic".

Would a conversion prove to be financially unfeasible ? Would you have to notify DVLA and pass a MOT type test etc?

Chad.R

P.S. Specifically, I was thinking of cars such as a MB W124 or a BMW 7 or 5 series (E32/E34), but any general advice would be appreciated.
Re: Converting an automatic to manual ? - David W
Chad,

Really boring personal view on this. It is almost never worth converting anything to anything else in the car world.

Just sell the thing you don't like and buy something you do. Often easier cheaper, quicker etc etc.

If you are set on it all things are possible.

David
Re: Converting an automatic to manual ? - Andy Bairsto
Forget it ,the changes you will have to make are enormous,electronics even on these early models bell housing ,drive shaft, axle ratios ,inside trim plus the istallation of a clutch pedal the list is endless.Plus on some models the engine is in fact different and on most the head and induction system is different.
Re: Converting an automatic to manual ? - John S
Chad

Going back a while, I know a number of Triumph Stags that were converted from auto to manual/overdrive, using spares sourced from broken cars.

You need to be sure exactly what items are different, the obvious ones such as flywheel, new pedal box, clutch hydraulics, propshaft etc etc., but there are some things you may miss - eg different trim for the gear lever rather than selector lever. The Stag owners were pleased and the performance and economy benefits were achieved, and the costs were not too bad.

However, things were much simpler then, and these days there may well be more dificult to resolve items including engine and gearbox electronics, and I expect there may be more fundamental differences. Certainly one to be very careful of!

Regards

John