Permit charges based on length - runboy
See this report:

tinyurl.com/34x2c7

The headline may not accurately reflect what the council has said, but charging people by the length of their vehicle can not be described as helping to choose a green car. Maybe in crowded residential streets it may encourage people to have small cars so you fit more in, but that can only work if people park correctly.

If, and a big if, the council thinks this will cut emissions then a 15 year old Fiesta is going to pump out more nasties than a brand new Ford Mondeo. Then there is diesel versus petrol argument.
Permit charges based on length - Armitage Shanks {p}
Runboy! This isn't about going green - it is about making money, as always! Big Car + Big Wallet = Big bill. Long life light bulbs contain mercury and should be got rid-of as Hazardous Waste - How green is that! They will mostly end up in landfill anyway and in 25 years all the local babies will have 2 heads and no legs, but hey, they'll be green as well!
Permit charges based on length - Big John
Old fashioned filament light bulbs are technically 100% efficient, all the electricity is turned into some sort of energy be it light, heat or even a little sound! Obviously its not very efficient at the light bit, but most of the remaining output is heat which contributes to warming your room - think of how warm the lighting section at B&Q is. Not a benefit in the summer though but you don't need the lights as much.

Will they ban filament bulbs in cars, long life indicator bulbs? LEDs?
Permit charges based on length - Armitage Shanks {p}
Just to try them out, and not because I am really bothered about my leccy bill, I bought some GU10 fitting LED lights; they give out about 60watts of equivalent light and burn just 2 watts. I agree about the heating effect of normal bulbs but I found that my lights, in mini spot reflectors got way too hot and burned out in way less than the 1000 hours claimed, and at some expense.