Renault Megane 1998 wheel / brakes noise - nautilus11
Hi
A while ago I had my front drivers side wheel bearings replaced. Shortly after that the gaitor on that side split and leaked quite a bit of oil. This was also replaced by the garage. Since then I have had a noise coming from the wheel when I slow down to around 25 mph usually after having driven for about 15 miles. TThe noise is not a squeal but sounds more like a dry joint to me. The noise stops when the brakes are applied. The garage says there is no problem they can find. Could the oil leak after the gaitor split have caused a problem somwehere if the oil wasnt properly replaced? Any ideas as Im stumped.
Thanks
Renault Megane 1998 wheel / brakes noise - Dynamic Dave
Generally if the CV-joint is worn, it will clatter / knock when going around corners. Find an empty carpark (supermarket?) and go slowly around in circles, first in one direction, then the other. Make sure you're on full lock when you do it. If no clattering / knocking then it's not the CV's.

By the way, it's grease inside the gaitor, not oil.

As the noise stops when you apply the brakes, that sounds to me like the garage haven't fitted the anti rattle shims to the brake pads, or applied copper grease to the rear of the pads and they're rattling within the calipers.