Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - peardrops
Hi

I have an N reg Peugeot 306 which I haven't been using very much due to changing job and being able to walk to work. After the terrible rain at the weekend I tried to turn it over on Monday - dead!

My neighbour kindly offered to charge the battery which he did but explained it wasn't holding the charge very well. We tried it again but nothing.

We've been and bought a new battery and tried again and this happens:

Turn engine on, dash lights come on, immobiliser activates and radio comes on. I enter my security pin into immobiliser and it accepts it and the light goes green.

I then turn the key to turn the engine over and the car immediately dies. The car engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

We then have to disconnect the battery and re-connect to be able to get the lights back on inside the car.

The key fob has not been working throughout these problems so we used the key in the door lock. Now we've just tried to open the doors and they key won't even unlock the doors now. So I have a car that doesn't run and can't open.

Can anyone help me please???

Peardrops.
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - bell boy
check that all the cables that go on the battery are on
and that the terminals are all tight
But we can't even get in the car now to release the bonnet catch. The key refuses to turn in the lock although it has done until today.
try getting in through the boot ala mr bean then
photos as well if poss------;-)
try getting in through the boot ala mr bean then
photos as well if poss------;-)

Didn't take photos but got in through the boot. So at least we can get in the car and the battery is brand new and fully charged.

When turning the engine over it just dies. Have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get the lights to come back on.

We have checked the connections to the battery and they all seem fine. It almost seems like the immobiliser is kicking in although I have entered the correct PIN code which is accepts.

Any ideas anyone?
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - Red Baron
Does the car have an inertia switch - one that would ordinarily activate if you had an accident and cut off the fuel and maybe power to other devices.
I don't know I'm afraid, how would I know this?
An update.

Hubby is currently disconnecting the re-connecting all wires etc in the car. When you put the ignition on and the radio etc all comes on there is a clicking noise and my headlights are flashing although it sounds like the indicators working.

Is this an electrical fault do you think?
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - thomp1983
lights flashing are the alarm but the siren has been turned off, when you turn the ignition on press the square button near where the key goes in that will stop it. starting problem could either be linked to the alarm going off or id suspect a faulty earth, take the one on the gearbox off and on passenger chassis leg and give them a good clean with emery cloth, file etc. and also the part where they touch the body.

chris
Thanks for your reply, I will try this this week.
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - L'escargot
I don't know I'm afraid how would I know this?

Look in the owner's handbook.
--
L\'escargot.
My dad came tonight who is really good at cars, I explained the diagnostics and he said "its a faulty or dead earth".

However, can someone please explain to me what an "earth" is. Where do I find them, how do I clean or replace them.

We have looked on the owners manual but it doesn't mention them.

Please help, I have a BBQ in Beverly the weekend after next and would like to fix my car without employing a garage if at all possible.

Thanks so much.
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - AndyT
In simplistic terms, the 'earth' is the negative of the car battery supply. ie, where the battery 'negative' cable is bolted to the car body/chassis, is the main body 'earth'. There will also be a main engine 'earth' cable connection bolted somewhere between the car body and the engine/gearbox.

It's these bolted connections you are looking for, to remove-clean-tighten as required. Simple! ;o)
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - Armitage Shanks {p}
Might be worth adding that these are usually big thick cables, almost as thick as a pencil and relatively inflexible and their terminals are a flat disc with a hole in it, as the ends are bolted to the car bodywork somewhere. They can carry a lot of current and are thick enough to do so. They aren't usually colour coded.
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - AndyT
If you have a set of jump-start cables, then as a test, you could connect the black clips to the battery negative terminal, and to a sound lump of metal on the engine/gearbox. This will provide a decent extra earth for the starter motor current, and the engine will hopefully start as normal.
Peugeot 306 - dead and now keys faulty - thomp1983
306 main earths are easy to find, they both run to the negative battery terminal so follow them from there. one will runto the top of the gearbox and the other to the passenger chassis leg

chris
Brilliant stuff, thank you all so much. We twiddled about with all the cables, shook them about a bit and the car has now started.

It took a while for the car to start and stunk of petrol but we got it running and then took it for a drive. Seems OK now though.

Thank you all very much.
shame about no photos but glad you fixed it
Another problem stemming from the original one. The radio obviously had to be re-coded due to the battery been disconnected several times. However it won't let us enter any code whatsoever.

Do I have to find a Peugeot dealer to get it re-set and if so any idea of cost? Or is there a way around it to enable us to turn the radio on again.

Many thanks