Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Mercian
My company '53 plate Mercedes E270CDi Elegance auto (saloon) has just gone back off lease at 66k and I need to replace it.

It has been excellent all rounder but the revised company lease rates for the facelift model won't allow me to stretch to a similar replacement in auto estate form, which is my preference this time round, even with a smaller engine.

I have tried an A6 2.7 Avant Multitronic, which is available and was very nice, but don't necessarily need the space in the rear seat of a E Class/5 series/A6, so have considered dropping down a size.

I have tried everything and had narrowed it down to an A4 or 3 series. I have tried the A4 2.7 Avant Multitronic and 3.0. Quattro Avant (which was a real disappointment after the 2.7 - I expected much more performance, but perhaps the 4wd drive train saps it too much...) and a 320d Touring auto which just gelled for me, being use to rear wheel drive I guess.

I haven't tried these yet but could have a 325d or 330d Touring in manual form - the premimum for the 330d is not much and there is little penalty tax or fuel wise. but I have read the 325d engine is smoother - any views from those living with them?

I could also have a 525d manual but that would mean saloon only...
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Pugugly {P}
330d by a country mile but I am totally biased.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - OldHand
obviously a 330D but you know that already or you wouldn't be asking. Compromise is for the impecunious and 'pussies' (by that I mean out feline friends in case anyone was wondering)
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Peter S
No experience of the latest BMW 3.0 litre diesel, but the E46 version was a cracking car. Worth noting though that the latest BMW E90/91s have the same 3.0 litre engine in 325d and 330d form, just in a different state of tune, so I'd imagine they'd feel fairly similar in terms of smoothness? Of course, the 335d also has the same engine, but with another turbo for good measure :-)

Having had an E270 and an E61 525d (both auto) in the past I can safely say that the 525d (old engine...) felt quicker than the MB, but that the MB auto box was far better suited to the diesel engine that that in the BMW, which I felt was always too keen to kick down and didn't take best advantage of the torque. Both very different cars to drive though, with the MB being far more 'laid back' to drive if you know what I mean, so well worth testing both...

HTH

Peter
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - MichaelR
325d is actually a very capable car - it's still a 3 litre, and has more power than the previous model E46 330d that was thought so highly of.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - OldHand
I thought the 325 had 'only' 200bhp rather than the 204 of the last E46 330D.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - MichaelR
I thought the 325 had 'only' 200bhp rather than the 204 of the last E46
330D.

Fair enough - but 4bhp is barely noticeable.
Thanks for the comments.

The 330d is obviously tempting and I understand the 325d is not available as an auto anyway, so as it's going to have to be a manual in either case, I guess I was assessing whether the performance premium might only be as good as my (unpracticed) gearchange!

I had read a few reviews about the merits of both (Autocar etc) and was undecided. I assume the manual box on the 3 series is smooth.

yes. Go drive one.
Certainly shall.
I'm having a go in a demo 335 (petrol) at the weekend, dealers are giving it me for the afternoon.....they think I'm going to buy Ho Ho !
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Pezzer
He thinks he wont ho ho ho .... :-)
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Bill Payer
The 330d is obviously tempting and I understand the 325d is not available as an
auto anyway

How odd (you're right, I checked). 525d (also 3L engine) is available as auto.

I would have thought 325d Auto would be quite popular. There must be a number of people who would want 6 cyl auto but really don't need or want the extra performance of the 330d.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - MikeTorque
No point test driving something you don't intend to buy, test drive the actual diesel model(s) you are interested in, unless you are interested in a petrol engine.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Chad.R
No point test driving something you don't intend to buy test drive the actual diesel
model(s) you are interested in unless you are interested in a petrol engine.

If someone offered me the keys to a 335i for the afternoon - I'd rip their arm off!

And no, I'm not in the market for one.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - cheddar
It is daft establishing a designation strategy where broadly speaking the last two digits indicate the engine size and then blowing it completely, a 2.0 318 and 2.5 523 were bad enough though putting the same size engine in a the 325, 330 and 335 - daft, something like 330d, 330td and 330tds would be better.

Great cars though.

To answer the question the 330d has 25% more torque that the 325d for an 0.8mpg defecit in the combined cycle, it cost £2500 more though if that is not a problem then go for it.

The 335d is a further 16% more torquey though is 5.5mpg worse off so the 330d is the best balance of performance and economy IMO.

Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Waino
something like 330d 330td and 330tds would be better.>>

Ah, but this is BMW's attempt to join the power and telephone suppliers' success in totally confounding the poor punter?
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Mad Maxy

{ SNIP! Unnecessary quoting of post being replied to removed, when "in reply to Cheddar" would have sufficed - DD}

Well, the numbers/letters are only distinguishing marks with some relationship to power hierarchy (and maybe prestige hierarchy), so what's the bother? :-)

But I've tested the 330d and it was very good. IMO the 325d will feel the same but with less poke. Unless lease cost or emissions-based cost (I haven't researched) are an issue, I'd go with the 330. 335d got a rave review in Autocar the other day. Supercar diesel rather. (335i a belter too.)
I would need to pay an additional sum up front for a 330d but that is offset by lower BIK and fuel costs, both of which would be less than a cheaper to lease but less BIK efficient Audi or Mercedes for example over years.

Doesn't leave room for left for options but these soon add up whatever you have having done the sums.

The recent revisions to the engine emissions make BMW very BIK friendly, which is a much greater consideration over the life of the lease for me - the 5 series diesels and petrols are very good, compared to an 2.7/3.0 A4 or A6. My Mercedes wasn't too bad (only 180gm/ CO2) for a 2.7 auto.

I looked at two dealers last week but all they had were 330d autos, hence my original query. I will being try to source a test run in a manual if I can find one at the weekend. Thanks for the advice.
Let us know.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Mad Maxy
Most buyers of 330ds go for autos. When I was considering BUYING I thought I'd go for auto for resale reasons - though auto does push up fuel consumption and I guess CO2 too (I'm a private buyer). Well, you can't get more transparent price indications than the lease costs...
"fuel consumption and I guess CO2 too"

Yes to both of them, I prefer manual but now stuck with an auto. My last 330d was a manual and all the better for it really.
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Dalglish
Yes to both of them, I prefer manual but now stuck with an auto

are "auto"s on beemers not "steptronic" semi-auto manual?

It's still an auto to me having avoided them like the plague....
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - mss1tw
Good man :^D
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Micky
Are you permitted to contribute? Then the M3 it should be.

No-one will ever lie on their death bed thinking "I'm glad I chose the deseal when I could have had the M3".
Ah, if only. Sadly, the level of contribution is capped, so that's why a 330d auto would be out of reach from a lease rate point of view.

However, the M3 isn't on the list anyway, as specificed "performance cars" are excluded based on either fuel consumption or simply discrimination (image or reliability).

So, you can't have any Subaru, or a Focus ST3 for example. And "large" (or, for that matter medium ones) 4x4s, coupes, convertibles are also off the list too.

So, you can't have a Honda CR-V diesel but you could have a BMW 335i, assuming your allowance runs to it...
Recommendations please: 325d v 330d - Micky
Much as I despise the offerings from the Hun, one must grudgingly admire B*W for their marketing and R&D, the concept of car with a go-faster button for an additional 100ish bhp is to be applauded. Generally driven by the incompetent though.
I haven't been able to find a manual 330d for a test drive but did try a 325d manual this after noon. It was a new 325d M sport saloon, standard spec. in black with c7k on the clock.

First impressions? I little lag setting off in first but pulled very strongly through the gears with more than enough torque and haste and settled nicely at 2k rpm at 80 in 6th on the motorway. Ride in M Sport trim was quieter and smoother than I expected. Taking it over some local fen roads, there was little in the way of tramlining, though it was fidgety and I found the steering became overly light at speed, and felt too heavy in town (probably the tyres). I didn't like the steering wheel, which was too thick for me to find it comfortable.

More than enough poke for my needs but I now know I wouldn't buy one. The manual gearbox was, in my view, appalling , with a slow and heavy action and nothing compared to the other two manuals in our household (MX-5 and Honda Civic Type S).

The M Sport seats had me in agony after 40 minutes and my back is still aching now. The indicators are overly sensitive but the most irritating and very worst thing of all was that my clutch foot kept catching the edge of the footrest when changing gear which made using the gearbox intolerable . I used to have the same problem with an old Z3, but with the top of foot on the underside of the dash trim. I also found the edge of the centre console rubbing my left leg.

I didn't make for a relaxing drive and was less enjoyable than the 320d SE auto I tried. I used to have a Accord Type R that was noisier and very demanding at speed but was nicer to drive than this M Sport. I might have enjoyed it more and I am sure a 330d auto would have been altogether different but as that is out of reach, it's irrelevant.

I guess what I have learnt is that I like the space and comfort found in bigger cars and just found it too cramped compared to what I usually drive. I shall keep looking!