VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - mak
Hello all,
I have been offered a VW Bora TDI (90bhp) S model 2000/X with 113k miles for £2900.
Although not as practical as an hatchback (prefer Audi A3 or Golf mk4 but these are more expensive), it is comparatively cheaper and does seem to be better value for money.
My concern is to the high mileage. It has FVWSH but worried that I could be in for an expensive engine overhaul in the near future. In your opinion, what sort of mileage can I reasonably expect before major repairs? Also worried about the turbo, is there a reasonable test I can do to assess its condition when inspecting the car? At this mileage/age I assume its clutch will need replacing. I hope to carry out the routine servicing together with normal maintenance, brakes, discs, suspension etc.
All opinions and views welcome.

Many thanks,
Martin
VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - George Porge
The engines will easily do double that and more. Cambelt will be due at 120K haggle hard
VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - Stuartli
I have a November 1999 VW Bora 1.6 16v petrol which has done 61k plus.

These cars are as tough as old boots and, as mak states, the diesel engines will do very big mileages providing the oil changes in particular are carried out; the interiors are also of higher quality than the Golf versions.

The first VW Jetta I bought in 1992 (1.3 four speed) already had 66.5k on the clock and never missed a beat over the next three years.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - Wee Willie Winkie
113k isn't high, assuming it has been well maintained up until now.

My Passat clocked up 200k with ease, the only problems were

i) the very well documented leaky cabin filter - causing my heater blower motor to give up the ghost
ii) front suspension woes (various arms needed replacing around 120k)

I would have that Bora like a shot.
VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - bbroomlea{P}
Providing the correct oil has been used and has a full service history then I would expect that its hardly run in.

My 2002 A4 is now on 120,000 with the 1.9 130 engine and I am now going to be upping my mileage to 40K a year. Any plans to replace my car? No, not for the next 2 years anyway as it drives like new and cannot fault the engine/drivetrain. From what I have seen/heard about these VAG engines, they are more than capable of 3 times that mileage with little or no tinkering!
VW Bora diesel, high mileage? - mare
The engines will easily do double that and more. Cambelt will be due at 120K
haggle hard

and get the tensioner changed with the cam belt

Bitter experience speaking