Who makes the best small diesel engine? - hca
My old Punto is nearly dead so I am looking to replace it with a small diesel car for my daily commute to work (50 miles a day mostly on the motorway).

I don't have much cash so will probably have to buy a high mileage used car. Question is who makes the best small diesel engine in terms of longevity?

My initial thoughts are either a 1.4Hdi Citroen C3 or a 1.5Dci Renault Clio or Megane. How many miles can I expect these engines to last for?

Thanks
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - PhilW
"1.5Dci Renault Clio "
No!
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=50...2
But sons 1.4HDi C2 has been faultless in 3 years and gives tremendous economy. Build quality of C3s might be questionable judging from previous posts on here, though I have no experience.
You might get good economy from cars using the 1.6HDi (my Berlingo, with brick like aerodynamics averages 50 mpg.
See
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=51193&...f
--
Phil
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - GregSwain
Given a choice I'd opt for either the Fiat/GM Multijet 1.3 unit, or the Kia/Hyundai 1.5 unit. IMO the 2 best diesels around at the minute - certainly better than any French attempt at small CR diesel engines. The demise of decent small French diesels happened when PSA stopped offering small cars with the normally-aspirated XUD engine. Apparently the VAG 1.4TDi PD isn't bad, but it does sound dreadful because it's only a 3-cylinder.

If I were asked to name the worst small diesel I'd choose Renault's 1.5DCi. Can't think of any other small diesel with as many reliability issues, least of all a recurring fault which could cost the owner thousands of pounds in the engine's lifetime.
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - PoloGirl
What about that petrol Honda Jazz that gives virtually the same economy as a diesel? I know I looked at it when choosing the Golf but decided it was a bit small for a motorway commute. You may not have the same attraction to lorries as me though!
My initial thoughts are either a 1.4Hdi Citroen C3 or a 1.5Dci Renault Clio or
Megane. How many miles can I expect these engines to last for?

Both will last a long time if correctly serviced, however the DCi in particular will empty £150 from your wallet each time the EGR valve fails. After my last post I'll get off my soapbox and present you with a few alternative options.....

1) Buy a late pre-HDi Pug 206 or 306 (Y-reg?) - excellent engines, will do 300k with only routine maintenance if you get a good one. 1.9 litre, and noisy, not the most powerful in the world either, but good MPG. None of the CR worries, a chimp could work on these engines.

2) Raise a bit of cash and go for a new-model Kia Rio (2005 onwards so there's a few about). You'll thank me for this advice every time you floor the accelerator and feel the torque! Engine should be good for a very long life - I've seen a 2.0 litre Kia Carens diesel go through an auction with over 200k on the clock (ex-taxi) - engine still going strong.

3) How about a Skoda Fabia SDi (1.9, normally-aspirated)? Not the quickest, but a very solid VW engine which often clocks up horrendous mileages under the bonnet of Octavia taxis! (the highest I've seen has been getting on for 400k)

Don't worry about engine "lifespan" as such - an engine fails due to a combination of wear, neglect, abuse and bad luck! Be more concerned with the number of trips to the garage (and the bank) that you'll have to make whilst you own the car. Keep it correctly serviced, including cambelt (if fitted) and coolant changes at specified intervals. When buying 2nd hand, make sure the previous owner has done this as well. Full main-dealer history is always a good thing, doesn't mean you have to continue it but it gives you some peace of mind.
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - PhilW
www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5936
www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5660

And I'm not entirely joking!

--
Phil
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - madf
Read HJ's review of the Yaris diesel... says it all imo.
madf
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - csgmart
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe the Renault 1.5DCi has an entirely different set up from the larger DCi engines and the EGR valve is not an 'issue' with this size of engine.

I think the thread link mentioned in an earlier post above even refers to this point a few times?
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - nortones2
Honda will be bringing a new Jazz with small diesel: that should be interesting. BTW, we have a Jazz, and whilst fuel economy is quite good (47mpg) its not at diesel level, nor as good as my old Passat 1.9! Averaged over 50mpg (brim to brim) and on longer runs, 60mpg.
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe the Renault 1.5DCi has an entirely
different set up from the larger DCi engines and the EGR valve is not an
'issue' with this size of engine.

The valve doesn't clog up, instead the electronics which control it fail, meaning the whole unit still has to be replaced. That's also been mentioned several times in a couple of past threads.
Who makes the best small diesel engine? - Clanger
My initial thoughts are either a 1.4Hdi Citroen C3 or a 1.5Dci Renault Clio or
Megane. How many miles can I expect these engines to last for?
Thanks

Mrs H's 1.4 HDi C3 has done 55K miles. Cambelt changes are scheduled for 100K miles. It uses a eggcup of oil between changes but I don't like the extended 20K oil change regime that the computer thinks is wise. Ours gets done at 10K. We've just done a whistle-stop dash into France with the car fully laden and the hooligan Mrs H settling down to 150kph on the Autoroute. 55 mpg over nearly 1000 miles. We like the car but we are biased; it was our 15th Citroen.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land