Reporting road defects - clacker
Bearing in mind the amount we pay to use, and the service we receive, with regard to our roads, I have decided to report ANY defects I encounter. Most local authorities will have a way of doing this online, and with mine you get a reference number, so you can check ?progress? with said defect.

I think more of us should be doing this, as the state of our roads isn't all it should be and we certainly pay enough in taxes.

I add the following to the remarks or additional information section when I submit the report:

I hope you find this report of a defect on our roads helpful. Were it not for the high levels of taxation motorists face today I would perhaps let it go. Unfortunately motorists pay extortionate tax on the fuel we use. Additionally we are hit with revenue raising measures, such as speed cameras and suspension-damaging 'traffic calming' speed bumps, etc. So I consider it reasonable to report ANY defects I encounter. If you run out of money trying to maintain our roads, write to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Please bear in mind that should the area I have reported be in the vicinity of a road traffic accident, any insurers involved will be able to discover this report and may sue the local authority for damages resulting from a lack of maintenance.

Reporting road defects - L'escargot
The local authority won't have time to read (or act on) lengthy additions to a message. Understandably, all they want is the bare facts. Yours won't be the only complaint they receive that day!
--
L\'escargot.
Reporting road defects - henry k
Over the years I have regularly reported potholes to Surrey CC and they get fixed very quickly.
Only yesterday I reported 2 x road signs damaged and a tree blocking a pavement, all caused by the recent high winds. I am not holding my breath re sorting out the signs.
It is certainly cheaper and easier to report things online.

Now the leaves are out on the trees and bushes I wonder what would happen if we all reported obscured road signs?
Reporting road defects - clacker
My theory is that were more people to report road defects, additional funding would have to be made available.

Bear in mind that the message at the end of my reports serves two purposes: (1) It makes a point that I am reporting the fault/defect due to the high taxes I pay for motoring and (2) Reminds anyone responsible that once 'in the system', it is there for all to see and maybe, one day in the future, an insurance company may take an interest, which could lead to legal implications for the authority. This means that it cannot really be ignored.
Reporting road defects - bell boy
i can only say that i report defects/street lights/local traffic lights online to my local council and they are always sorted pronto
as said keep it short though
Reporting road defects - Hamsafar
In Nottingham, both the county-wide and city council reporting pages have given errors upon painstakingly typing it all out and submitting it! Useless.