Which used Ford Focus? - carled
So... thanks to your help last week I have managed to convince my wife (only after I got her & family to sit in one of each at a dealer!) that she needs a Focus and not a Fiesta (even the new 02 and later shape was a bit small)...

Now all I need to do is work out which one!

Budget is £3K + trade in worth approx £500-£600. She does a bit of motorway, but mainly school runs and local visiting runs, so economy needs to be good, but she wants to at least be able to think about overtaking when she needs to, hence the 1.4 is out.

I would happily consider a diesel, but it appears that only the Tddi diesel is in our price range and not the Tdci one. These 1.8 Tddi diesels seem to be slated quite a lot. Anyone got anything good to say about them?

Current feeling is that the 1.8 petrol may be a bit more expensive to run than the 1.6, so the 1.6 is attracting most of my interest at present... does that seem about right within the parameters I've given?

Cheers.
Which used Ford Focus? - Brian Tryzers
We tried a 1.6 petrol many years ago - was probably a 1999 model - before deciding it was bigger than we needed as a second car. My memory of it is that it was very easy and civilized, with enough oomph to go up hills at A-road speed even with three adults and a baby on board. My guess is that a 1.8 or 2.0 will use significantly more fuel in town driving - but only you will know if a 1.6 is quick enough for you.
Which used Ford Focus? - local yokel
We have a 51 1.6 Auto. Plenty of oomph unless loaded with four for holiday travel.
Which used Ford Focus? - dieselicious
Based on what you've said, you really don't need a diesel. I'd personally go for the 1.6 petrol model. You'll get a higher spec than if you went for the more expensive diesel. Try a 1.6 zetec - elecctric most things and a/c. A very comfortable and practical car, but handles well. If you want a bigger engine, then go for the 2.0 - the 1.8 is ok, but the 2.0 is superb. I had a 03 plate 2.0 zetec and loved every minute of it.
Which used Ford Focus? - OldHand
The 1.8 is a good engine but rather old fashioned and not much more economical than the 2.0. The 1.6 is a nice little unit but sometimes has a hard job pulling at motorway speeds when laden- my father had a 1.6 estate and 4 up it was very, very slow.

I had one of the first 1.8 Zetecs and I loved it to bits as a company car, moved upto a 2.0 which wasn't much slower than the ST170 I tried before choosing it. One thing to watch out for is that ABS was an extra on the 1.8's and I think the 1.6 so try and get a car that's equipped with it

Maybe someone else will know exact build dates/spec? I think it became standard on the Focus eventually.
Which used Ford Focus? - rjr
One thing to watch out for is that ABS was an
extra on the 1.8's and I think the 1.6 so try and get a car
that's equipped with it
Maybe someone else will know exact build dates/spec? I think it became standard on the
Focus eventually.

I think that ABS became mandatory on all new cars at the start of 2004.

Prior to this ABS was available on the 1.8 and 1.6 as part of the 'reflex pack' which also included traction control and side airbags.
Which used Ford Focus? - rjr
Current feeling is that the 1.8 petrol may be a bit more expensive to run
than the 1.6 so the 1.6 is attracting most of my interest at present... does
that seem about right within the parameters I've given?

I looked at 1.6 and 1.8 models when I was looking for a used Focus a few years ago. The 1.8 seemed to only offer marginally better performance than the 1.6 with only marginally better economy than the 2.0. In other words it offered a middle ground that didn't seem to suit anyone - if you aren't fussed about economy and insurance then go for the 2.0 but if you are then choose the 1.6. I opted for the 1.6.
Which used Ford Focus? - Altea Ego
> These 1.8 Tddi diesels seem to be slated quite a lot. Anyone got anything good to say about them

No.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Which used Ford Focus? - DavidHM
My uncle has a tddi and it's not that bad. It's a bit unrefined but it's not nearly as bad as people say and returns 50+ mpg with minimal effort put into economy.

So I wouldn't rule one out as such, but wouldn't insist on having a diesel.

The 1.6 is a good all rounder but the peach, if you can, is the 2.0 - not least because of the standard ABS and traction control (not that the 1.6 needs traction control; maybe the 2.0 does, I don't know).
Which used Ford Focus? - dieselicious

(not that the 1.6 needs traction control; maybe the 2.0 does I don't know).

The way i drove mine it needed it ;-)
Which used Ford Focus? - DuncanSuperb
I don't think you can go too wrong whatever you choose as long as you follow the usual advice and insist on a fully service/maintenance records (particularly with the parafin burners). for £3.5k there are plenty to choose from.

Have you considered the styling though? estates have loads of room and their harder suspension give a slightly firmer ride (which some prefer). We have the 1.8 estate and it is the perfect workhorse for us. The 1.8 is not much quicker than the 1.6 but somehow seems smoother and performance isn't effected so much by bigger loads where as the 1.6 will soon run out of puff. Having said that I'd probably go for the 2.0 now.

Our other car is the tdi salloon. Not a popular style but reflected in the price and grp 6 insurance. comfort and driveabilty is perfect for my commute and as a 2nd family car. The boot is v big compared to the hatch so unless through-cabin hatch is a must this might be worth considering. I personally don't have any issues with the rather agricultural diesel especially as I get 450+ miles a tankful at about 50mpg.

Let us know how you get on.
Which used Ford Focus? - L'escargot
I'm on my second 2.0 petrol Ghia and I can heartily recommend one. I get a genuine overall average of 39 mpg, driven with gusto. Ignore owners' claims for other engines based either on a single journey or on a single "tankful". But whichever variant you choose, just make sure the seats of that variant suit you.
--
L\'escargot.
Which used Ford Focus? - daveyjp
I had a 1.8 LX V reg - great car, quick enough. It did do early 40s mpg on motorway runs, but round town this dropped to mid 20s. As L'escargot says check the seats - the base of drivers seat on my LX was collapsing after 50,000 miles making long journeys very uncomfortable and one of the reasons I sold it.

On an older one I'd check the cambelt and tensioners have been changed too - a colleague's belt went at 53,000 miles, also on a V reg.
L'escargot says check the seats - the base of drivers seat on my LX was
collapsing after 50 000 miles making long journeys very uncomfortable and one of the reasons
I sold it.

I was thinking more of the shape of the seats. I much prefer the flatter versions as found (I think) in all variants except the Zetec. To me the Zetec "bucket" seats feel as if you're sitting on .......er......... the rim of a bucket!
--
L\'escargot.
Which used Ford Focus? - Brian Tryzers
>To me the Zetec "bucket" seats feel as if you're sitting on .......er......... the rim of a bucket!

I'd have thought you'd like that - the escargots in my jardin certainly seem to. };---)
I'd have thought you'd like that - the escargots in my jardin certainly seem to.

I've reminded them that they should be eating your greenery, not idling about on your bucket!
--
L\'escargot.
Which used Ford Focus? - Mad Maxy
I had a T-reg 1.8 Focus once, and it was horrible. One of the horrible things was the engine. I get the impression that the 1.6 is a much nicer motor - nice characteristics and powerful enough.
Which used Ford Focus? - MikeTorque
carled, I purchased a used S reg. (late 1998) Focus 1.6 (100ps) LX in 2000, sold it mid last year for a used 05 reg. Focus 1.6 TDCi (a 51/49% decision), the 1.6 petrol engine in 100ps and 115ps are both silky smooth.

I had zero problems with the 1.6 LX, servicing is straight forward. The engine is smooth and economical, I averaged overall 45mpg during the summer months and 42mpg during the winter months. If you use super unleaded you'll noticed the 1.6 pulls better than 95 octane but mpg stays about the same probably as a result of using the extra performance gain. I'd recommend the 1.6 petrol engine over the 1.8 which is more vocal and has poorer fuel economy.

The chassis setup of the LX and Ghia is bias towards comfort, if you want better handling and don't mind losing a bit of comfort then check out Zetec chassis. Also note the petrol engine name references, Ford used the Zetec name for it's engine range as well as for a particular model name. For example, the 1.6 LX has the same engine as the 1.6 Zetec (i.e. the 1.6 Zetec engine).
Which used Ford Focus? - The Purifier
I've driven Focuses with both the 1.6 and 1.8 - 1.6 is ok but wasn't at all impressed with the 1.8. It seemed to lack power and I thought it compared less favourably to the 1.4 engine I had in my Honda Civic at the time. Chassis was nice though, was a Zetec if I remember