306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - scfc_151
after reading all of the previous posts on this subject i still dont have cooling fans working atall on my 2001 306 with a/c. (Aircon not currently working though due to massive leaks)

Up to now the fans have never worked up to temps of around 95 degrees. One fan feels stiffer than the other but im not sure if this would have caused a burn out

Basically i want to test the fans to see if the motors are working but dont know much about electrics so dont want to go connecting a battery anywhere to it. People have talked about this 'briton sensor' on cars with aircon but ive been told that mine doesnt have one. The only sensors i can see is a blue on on the side of the thermostat (very arkward to get to).

Is there anywhere else that can fool the fans into comming on (if they are working)?

Failing that its gona have to go to a spark but my main question is, is it worth getting a diagnostic done incase of an ecu fault or just get it into a good auto electrition?

cheers
306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - milkyjoe
unplug the sensor electrical plug from the thermostst housing and bridge the connections in the plug with a bit of wire if the motor in the fan is ok it should whizz round like a gooden
just had a phone conversation with my auto spark who reckons the fans wont work properly if the aircon gas pressure is low.

I thought that fans should work with or without aircon. As i explained the aircon is unlikely to be fixed becuase of cost ......how do i get the fans working again?

He talked about the usual corrosion on the multiplug but considered an external switch in the dash to overide the fans to make them come on when i want them to.

Sounds expensive to me. I just want some cooling fans for my car in the summer with traffic and motorway trips etc

any advice on this?
hang on, is it the fan that cools the water in the radiator that doesnt work or the fans in the car that blows air at you that deosnt work?
its the engine coolant fans that cool the rad
did you unplug the sensor connector from the thermostat housing and make a curcuit by bridging the pins in the connector, fan should come on if it does replace the sensor
thanks milkyjoe im going to try that this weekend as its a bit arkward to get to and i need to move the battery/air filter housing etc.

Me and my gf's dad just spent half an hour trying to get the multiplug out to check for corrosion and theres no chance. Whoever messed with it before cross threaded it and really stuck it on. Im hoping its that sensor.
im out of ideas now

ive taken the blue senser off the thermostat and bridged the connections with a wire and no fans kicked in

what else should i do other than take it in? If this is an ecu problem would this be expensive to fix?

the only thing i can think of now is a motor problem or ecu
i doubt its the ecu , once you bridge the connection from the thermostat you are in fact completing a curcuit from the battery to the fan, check all the wiring too and from the fan motor or try another fan, process of illimination
306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - bell boy
they do have a dedicated ecu milkyjoe its nearside front under the bonnet.
personally i would get a professional to modify your temp switch to fan with some heavy duty cabling via the battery ,assuming of course that these fans do run at the full 12 volts?
the nearside fan is listed as fan no 1 if that is any help

sorry
im wondering whether to go for my auto electritions original idea of externally wiring directly to the fans and sticking a switch in the dash? probably cost a bit in labour though.

Failing that get another car and make sure its not french
voila!!!
ive yet again tried to get the multiplug to the fans off and failed. This thing is well stuck on

i was wondering if the 3 relays get faults? my brother got a continuity test to check the relays are receiving power which they all are. However he said that the majority of the points had open circuits which he wouldnt expect. Im not great with electrics but i thought this might shed some light for any more advice?

I could do without taking the bumper off to get to the motors so thats a last resort. Plus due to this autoelectritions will cost a fair bit in labour before they start.

Anymore help appreciated
306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - Dave N
The reason the multiplug won't come apart is probably due to corrosion. If it is corroded, then that's likely your problem.

Yes, the relays fail, but that normally results in no low speed, only high. They're cheap, so try replacing one of them.
i completely agree on the multiplug

any ideas to get it off? theres no room to even get some kind of wrench around it just to start it off?

It feels like someone has cross threaded the plug tight and is probably that coupled with corrosion if there hasnt been a tight seal on the plug for some time
306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - PhilW
Is this link any help?
www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/electric/ac30...m
--
Phil
"ive yet again tried to get the multiplug to the fans off and failed. This thing is well stuck on"
had a similar problem on a Xantia - eventually found that round the back of the multiplug, completely hidden away behind various pipes was a "catch" that needed a screwdriver inserting to release the plug -then it came off easily.
I also replaced all three relays between the fans because I thought they were at fault (open circuits etc) and it made no difference whatsoever. I was eventually advised that it was probably the bitron unit (no I don't know what that is!) somewhere behind the bumper which was at fault.

Couple of other threads that might help you
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204...s

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190...0
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188...1
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200...=
--
Phil
thanks for the links phil

ive had a good scroll through the zantia problems. The only difference is that my car apparently doesnt have a briton unit. At the minute im going to have one last attempt at getting the multiplug off, maybe with a jubilee clip around it to see if it will budge - then look at changing the 3 relays and go from there. I dont fancy paying £100 to a spark only for him to try these simple things.

Where is the best place to get relays from? will a motor factor know what relays should be there or should i take them with me?
just a quick update to what ive tried recently. Tried the multiplug by putting a hose clip around it and using that for grip and leverage - no chance so god knows how id get that off if it was essential. (probably is essential really if corrosion behind it)

Pulled the cover off the relays. No visable corrosion here so sprayed with wd40 and replaced.

Sorry this isnt very technical but might shed some light for some people -
When the left green (high speed) relay is off and a wire connected to the top feed and left side, there is some clicking from the ecu and an 'electric' noise but no fans spinning.

Any ideas?
scfc,
Sorry I can't give you any proper technical help - because electrics are a mystery to me. I think the relays were about £17 each from GSF (or was it £17 for 3????) - - means that £100 at autoelectricians might be a bargain if the relays are not at fault! Have a look on GSF (or Europarts) website. Have you tried swapping the relays round - -on the Xantia they are all identical so swapping them might reveal a pattern/fault??

does seem strange that you can't get the connector off - when I found the "clip" ours came off easily and it's a 7 year old Xantia. Are you sure there isn't a "clip" mechanism that is keeping the connector in place?
Good luck - afraid I can't be any further help!!
--
Phil
306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - bell boy
There is a plastic ring that you unscrew anticlockwise and as you do the two looms come apart sezza me
unfortunately they go green due to abysmall design in a bad enviroment and may not split
you could source a better scrap yard loom for here and cut and splice/solder this in
personally if you are stuck as you seem to be then £100 for a professional repair is small beer to a cooked engine on the m1 on a friday night

sorry mate,maybe time to let the moths out of the wallet
thanks anyway phil

Ive swapped the relays round tonight yet to see if it works though, maybe take it out later and let it warm up but i wont hold my breath.

I think these relays will only be a couple of quid as they are general purpose. The multiplug looks like the one on the drivers door loom. Looks like it should turn 1/4 turn but just wont budge.

306 hdi cooling fans again (sorry) - thomp1983
it needs more than a quarter turn, about 3 full turns, ive had to do a few with a long screwdriver and hammer and tap it of

chris
i know what you mean thomp i got a hose clip nice and tight around it which took a while as theres next to no room! set it so the nut part of the clip could have a large screw driver on it and wacked the bejesus out of it. It didnt ever try to move so thats that then.

other things ive tried just while i was tearing hair strands out were plent on wd40 and clean up all earths etc

Just come back from a run out, let the engine get to 95 and still no fans!!!
According to my "Revue Technique" for the Xantia - the fans should come on at low speed at 97 deg and high speed at 105deg. In normal running I have never noticed them come on (except when air con is on). When testing them a couple of years ago I found it virtually impossible to get the engine hot enough on tickover when stationary so that fans switched on - had to switch on air con to ensure they worked. They have a pretty big radiator!
--
Phil
i see what you mean phil. I had previously tested them to over 100 but im not that brave. It went for an mot the other week and the water light came on. Im assuming with all the reving and idling it got a bit hot and threw some water out.

Im use to my old 1.9td kicking in dead on 90.

O well ill keep plugging away theres gota be a way or sorting this. holidays are comming and i dont fancy being stuck on the m5 hard shoulder
Good luck!
It's beyond my technical knowledge (that ain't difficult!)
--
Phil