Skoda Fabia coolant loss - Rod Maxwell
In the Car-by-Car Breakdown HJ has put the following comment.

>What to Watch Out For
>Make sure the 1.4 8v is not losing coolant and has not overheated through loss of coolant in the past, possibly due to friction on the bottom hose as a result of soft engine mountings.

I had been noticing that I was loosing coolant in my car - not excessively but I was having to top it up every 1,500 miles or so to keep above the "min" level. I mentioned this to my local dealer when it was in for servicing yesterday and they said that there is a modified gasket to solve this problem. They've ordered this for me so I should be having it fixed under warranty next week.

I don't know which models this affects (mine is an early W-reg one) but it appears that this is a known problem.

Rod.
Re: Skoda Fabia coolant loss - Flat in Fifth
8v models only, it appears.

One dealer looked up his records and quoted me that he had supplied 120 8v Fabias and had to change the head gasket on only 3.
Another said 4 out of 90, off the top guess I reckon.

Both seemed to think it was more a issue of tightening torque at the factory, too high/too low?.
Re: Skoda Fabia coolant loss - Rod Maxwell
>One dealer looked up his records and quoted me that he had supplied 120 8v Fabias and had to change the head gasket on only 3.

It sounds like teething troubles, then. I suppose you always run the risk when you go for a brand new model.
Re: Skoda Fabia coolant loss - Honest John back in UK
Okay, head gaskets is another possible problem area of the 1.4 8v pushrod Fabia. I'll add that to car by car as well to avoid any further confusion.

HJ