A Challenge to Essex Police - Idris Francis
This is the first of many such challenges to CPOs

if anyone wants the graphs and text, let me know

Idris

Attention of the Chief Constable, Essex Police

Dear Sir,

I am unable to reconcile the press release on road casualties issued by your force with the figures I now have. I attach a graph showing the figures for the last 12 years, and a copy of the press release in question. I attach also graphs showing casualties and fatalities over past decades.

I would be obliged if you would explain how you were able to make the following statements in the context of the figures shown on the graphs. In replying please remember that, prior to the introduction of speed cameras to Britain in 1992, from 1972:

Fatalities per annum fell by 50%
Serious injuries fell by 50%
Slight injuries hardly changed overall.

1/ "There was a year-on increase in road deaths in Essex during 2001, but overall the casualty rate is declining"

2001 Figures:
Fatalities - up from 86 to 123, a 42% increase
(oddly, reported in the media as 30%)
Serious injuries down from 1240 to 1203, a 3% fall

KSI (above combined) 1326 to 1326,
ie the same total but 37 K instead SI

Slight injuries down from 8824 to 7785, a fall of 12%

As you know, slight injuries are usually about 50 times greater than fatal injuries and of the order of 10 times greater than serious injuries.

Is it not extraordinarily misleading to claim in a formal statement that "overall the casualty rate is declining" on the basis that slight inuries have fallen, when 37 more people have died compared to 2000?

2/ "And there is strong evidence to show that safety cameras - designed to keep motorists to the speed limit - made an important contribution to saving life and limb."

Is this not an even more extraordinary statement, given that deaths rose by 42%?

3/ "A combination of these deaths (full year) and injuries (to end of November) gives a current total casualty toll of 8,108 for 2001 - a decrease of eight per cent on the same periods for 2000."

Given the full-year figures I quote above, that the Killed and Seriously Injured figure did not change at all, other than 37 seriously injured becoming 37 fatalities, was it not clear (even in January, let alone now) that the 8% improvement you claimed was entirely due to a decrease in the much more numerous slight injury total and that the claim was seriously misleading?

4/ "One key factor to emerge from the statistics is that during 2001 there was only one fatality within a quarter-mile of a speed-reduction camera."

I have heard a number of police spokesmen make this sort of claim, and my only reaction is astonishment. Why does it matter where people are killed? Is it not more important how many are killed?

The other extraordinary aspect of this and similar statements is that the spokesmen appear eager to claim the localised reductions as being due to speed (or now, weasel-wordedly 'safety') cameras but quite unwilling to accept that the increases elsewhere could be in any way due to them.

But is it not self-evident that driver behaviour is changed by the existence of speed cameras, and the possibility of there being cameras ahead, and not just by the knowledge that they are actually present ahead? After all, if all motorists knew where all cameras were, there would be no camera revenue!

I have attached a long list of the ways that the existence of speed cameras can affect driver behaviour adversely. Will you accept that many, if not most or even all, of these factors can indeed lead to the results we are now seeing?

5/ "Essex Police casualty reduction manager Brian Ladd said: "While the increase in road deaths is extremely disappointing, the downward trend in injuries is encouraging. "

To be kind to Mr. Ladd, he must be one of Nature's optimists! The KSI figure did not change at all, and the only improvements were in slight - and as I understand the definitions - quite trivial.

6/ "Speed is a major cause of crashes and injuries, whether as a result of loss of control on major roads or failure to stop in time in areas where there are pedestrians. Safety cameras have played an important part in bringing about the reduction in casualties in Essex"

By far the most significant change is 37 people who died instead of being seriously injured - how can this reasonably be described as a 'reduction in casualties'?

And if it is not, what does that say for the effect of speed cameras overall?

7/ "and although a vociferous minority may find this hard to accept, I believe that most people support the efforts being made to keep drivers within the clearly-marked speed limits. "

Could it perhaps be that the "vociferous minority" have actually read and understood the real figures and have every reason to be be 'vociferous' in the face not only of the failure of camera policy but of such blatant misrepresenation of failure as 'success'?

8/ "A recent survey of 1,500 Essex motorists showed that 72 per cent of them felt fewer accidents were likely to occur in the vicinity of a safety camera."

You are of course aware that the vast majority of motorists have neither the time nor the inclination to examine the figures or assess trends, and that the responses you quote are therefore primarily your own propaganda and that of other official bodies', boucing back - not least because you refer sneeringly to those who disagree and who have chosen to examine the reality of what is happening in terms such as 'a vociferous minority'.

As the attached graphs show, UK fatalities and serious injuries fell steadily from 1972 to the early 90s and it would be reasonable to assume that the same happened in Essex.

Yet from 1992 to 1997 fatalities 'flatlined' and since 1997 (the 3 year trend curve is significant) have been rising again for the first time for 30 years.

Serious injuries are no lower in 2001 than 1991, and have been falling less fast than 1972 to 1992, and it is only in the numerically greater but nevertheless less significant slight injuries that the trend is less worrying.

I would like you to explain how recent figures prove anything other than that, at best, speed camera policy is not achieving its objectives, and at worst is leading to more casualties than would otherwise occur.

Please bear in mind that, as reported on the relevant web site, average traffic speeds (measured at 130 sites across the country) have not fallen at all in recent years, thus tending to confirm the failure of policy.

Is it not now time, as the Daily Mail suggested on Tuesday, for a review of camera policy and results before yet more millions of pounds are spent on them?

I await your prompt reply.

Yours sincerely,

Idris Francis
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - The
There's a co-incidence.

I saw the Northants Police Website end of last month and posted a query.

This is the reply just received:

The figure quoted i.e. "excessive or inappropriate speed accounts for around
a third of all serious or fatal collisions" is based upon nationally
produced statistics. We do not have the figure for Northamptonshire alone;
equally I cannot comment on the validity or otherwise of the figures quoted
for the West Midlands.

>Why is the proportion of accidents caused by speeding as high as a
third in this area when in much more heavily trafficed areas such as the
West Midlands it's only around 3% to 7%, and the proportion caused by
pedestrians is so high?
>
>Is it because people drive so much quicker here, but walk much more
carefully?

Perhaps they would appreciate a set of statistics ;-)
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Alwyn
They are quoting TRL 323 but fiddling the figures by including things like "failure to judge path or speed" and "following too closely" as speed related, which is then altered to "excess speed".

Neither of the above are anything to do with breaking a speed limit.

They are telling lies. It's that simple.
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Alwyn
Idris ,

Any information you can send would be helpful. I have had several letters published which are critical of the camera campaign and not once have the police defended their position.

Brunstrom keeps repeating the "one third" mantra and yet his own force said, in TRL 323, that excess speed was a factor in just 8.3% of accidents.

No wonder they keep quiet when challenged.
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Pat
OK, so there be some deabte about the actual effects of speed cameras and the proportion of accidents directly caused by excessive speed. But surely common sense tells us that speed MUST be a factor in determining the severity of injuries etc when an accident occurs?

As I've said before, if drivers adhered to the speed limits (and most of the limits are sensible and well thought out) then speed cameras would not have been introduced. My road, (small village, residential area, school entrance, farm entrances), has a 30 limit, but most cars pass at 40-50, with some probably doing 60 (nice straight stretch!). No police around, no traffic calming, no cameras therefore total disregard of the law.

It's time some of you soap boxers got real. Something has to be done about speeding motorists who cause excess noise and air pollution, and increase the risk of serious accidents. If you don't want to caught ion a speed trap, don't speed. Simple.

Pat
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Trevor Potter
The only EFFECTIVE measure to slow traffic in 30 limits is SPEED HUMPS.

The cowbys will still speed even if there's a camera.
Some of them will panic brake when they see the camera,
then blame any resultant accident on the camera!!
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Brian
Pat
On the facts that you give, you need some speed control measures. No problem.
But, you probably have a camera not too far away, on a nice straight stretch, no houses, no farm entrances, no school.
So get the camera moved to where it is needed, in the village.
Brian,

Thanks for your comments. I wish it was that easy! I don't know of any cameras within 10 miles of the village (which is betwen Evesham and Broadway, in the Vale of Evesham) though there may one or two I haven't spotted!

Also large proportion of drivers and passengers not wearing seat belts, though this is not a worry because they tend to eliminate themselves eventually and pose to risk as such to others. Messier for the emergency services, though.

I stick to my original point. Speeding is a problem and something had/has to to be done about it.

Pat
Speed humps is the "Engineering" answer.

If "Education" will not work (and judging by some of the "interesting" views posted on this forum - looks unlikely),

then "Enforcement" is only option left.

Are your views shared by neighbours?

If you get enough signatures on a petition, the local Council MUST look at a camera option.
This does NOT guarantee that you will get one, but until you try, the Council will set their own priority re consideration, and you can guess what that may mean.
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - The Bandwidth Preserver
: <- See microdots for full, unexpurgated, two volume version of why speeding (by "law-abiding" citizens) isn't a problem.

But why dangerous driving by criminals and psychopaths (who shouldn't have had a chance to be on the road long enough to even reach the speed limit, never mind get their illegal cars "caught" by a speed camera) is a problem.

And why dangerous driving by law-abiding citizens is becoming a problem as they plough into kids at just under the speed limit whilst they keep one eye on their speedos, and the other on the look out for scameras.
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - The Bandwidth Preserver
Just dropped off my daughter for dance lessons at a local school with lots of pedestrian "crossing" build outs from the pavements to get the kids as near to the traffic as possible.

Car stops just before a crossing point as way blocked by parked car on his side and oncoming traffic.

Oncoming traffic passes, start to take daughter across, cars shoots forward and past us at a very "safe" and "pedestrian friendly" speed.

(To the mortification of my daughter I usually stick my head in front of the windsceen and scream blue murder at the driver in such circumstances, but there were too many of her friends around !;-(

Anyone for speed cameras?

As ever there's often a speed camera on the stretch of road linking this secondary school to a cluster of state and religious primary schools not far away.

The road is wide, straight, with wide verges, no pavements (they're well back behind banks, and linked by a subway.

Oh, yes, and downhill on the scamera trap side.

But you never see a camera, nor a cop, outside the schools, despite sometimes seeing some appalling driving.
Speed humps may well be the engineering answer.

Probably why I wouldn't object to them in the right circumstances.

But you never see them used in this country.

What you see is speed bumps, and badly, in fact dangerously, designed ones at that.

You should be able to cross a speed hump at the limit safely and comfortably.

Or exceed it safely but very uncomfortably.

When was the last time you came across one like that?
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Mister Gear
Not politically correct, but has a bypass been considered?.
You can drive for 100 miles in France and never go through a village except as a deliberate option.
My own preference to speed problems in built-up areas (ie houses etc in towns or villages) would be some type of speed hump/bump (what's the difference?). And yes, there are some bumps that you can cross at 25-30 mph, the type that are in two parts across the road and are a bit like low, square-based pyramids that you cross with one set of wheels only. Effective but don't knacker your suspension.

It seems that some counties/boroughs are more advanced in introducing such measures. I live in Worcestershire, which is a beautiful county but I don't think they've heard of trafic calming! Perhaps they need enlightening?

Thanks for the interesting comments of a non 'rant' type!

Regards

Pat
Being a motorcyclist, I do not like speed bumps. They jarr your spine at any speed and in the wet or ice can throw you off if you hit it at the wrong angle.

My preference in your sutuation would be for speed-operated lights or warning signs which then only affect those who are abusing the limit.
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Alan Clark
Simply a revenue generating device...as we all know. I was under the impression that these safety / speed cameras were to be positioned prominanlty...however, several have sprung up on the A52 twixt Skegness and Boston, cunningly disguised behind poles, trees, corners and the like. Thankfully they are within non-national speed limits (positioning I applaud), yet seemingly going against the spirit of their usage. Let's face it people. If we did not speed for a period of a month, revenues would drop considerably and we would be at the mercy of a certain Mr G Brown. Ditto for us smokers...let's all stop smoking for a month. Coffers would be struggling to cope...what's next? VAT on kids clothes....hmmmm......any offers on this?
Alan,

Shouldn't that read 'coughers would be struggling to cope'?

Pat
Re: A Challenge to Essex Police - Alan Clark
Indeed! I am now spluttering along like my old Sierra, full choke in the winter!
"If we did not speed for a period of a month, revenues would drop considerably" -

That's exactly what I keep talling the "ranters" -

If you are so SURE caneras are "There as revenue earners"

CALL THEIR BLUFF!!

Everybody stop exceeding speed limits for, say, 1 month and see if your theory is demonstrably correct.
No, we're sure that cameras are revenue raisers, but what is worse, despite the fact that they are dangerous.

So basically you are asking us to kill to prove one of our points!
If we stopped smoking and buying alcohol we could really screw Gordon.
Also switch to diesel and cut his take on fuel by a quarter.
You don't have to go illegal to do damage!