Speed limit raised M1 J8-J10 roadworks - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/66302...m
total text

The speed limit in a section of the M1 where 25,500 drivers have been caught and fined has been raised to 50mph.
The new limit will apply in roadworks to widen the M1 between J8 for Hemel Hempstead and J10 for Luton.

Cameras calculate a vehicle's average speed through the roadworks and police said this was to encourage drivers to slow down rather than brake suddenly.

The Highways Agency said speed limits to keep drivers and workers safe are regularly reviewed by traffic managers.

During the works on the M1 the three lane system in each direction may be reduced to one at times during the night and there may also be periodic junction closures.

A spokesman said: "The 50mph limit is in place 24-hours a day, seven days a week."

Speed limit raised M1 J8-J10 roadworks - Simon
I've got a feeling that when I passed through that stretch last Wednesday the limit was already posted at 50mph. I can't honestly remember because there was little or no chance of ever reaching 50mph as the volume of traffic dictated otherwise and it was a long slow crawl all of the way through the roadworks.
Speed limit raised M1 J8-J10 roadworks - Garethj
Maybe it'll help a bit, so it's a good thing.

It was very strange that the roadworks at J4-5 have a 50mph limit, then the roadworks at J8-10 had a 40mph limit!
Speed limit raised M1 J8-J10 roadworks - Westpig
no one really minds a lowish limit when there's someone working there and they are in a degree of danger.......it's when you drive through the things and there's not a soul in sight that your ire is raised.......why not have them in place only when the workforce is present.....in a similar fashion to the flashing warning lights outside schools

e.g set a 55mph limit in general (narrow lanes and limited crash barriers)......40mph limit when workmen there working.......can't be that difficult surely
Speed limit raised M1 J8-J10 roadworks - spikeyhead {p}
it seems much better now that the limits 50 rather than 40.

I usually drive into London over the weekend or late at night. Regularly I've seen no-one doing any work which is really frustrating when you're driving through as 5am and looking forwards to getting into bed.
--
I read often, only post occasionally