Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - Keith Corless
On 27.3.02, I reported some rattle/knocking coming from the engine compartment on my Rover Sterling (97) which 3000miles ago had a new engine installed (only 57K on the original V6). A number of you guys were kind enough to reply. The next instalment is as follows:
UNIPART (who I am informed by the Rover dealership now own the warranties on these repalcement engines) insisted that the garage inspect to find what the problem was. Yes, you guessed right, I am informed by the garage that it wasn't a problem with the replacement engine, but the drive plate which had developed a hair line crack! and thus not covered by the warranty. Costs to do this job are estimated at £1500

I understand that the drive plate is what the starter ring is attached to. I am only familiar with the old flywheels which I can't imagine ever fail.

Can anyone say if this diagnosis sound reasonable and does a drive plate really ever crack. I thought metal fatigue only occurred in aircraft.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice (other than what I know I should have done a long time ago and that was to scrap the thing).

Thanks,

Keith
Re: Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - Phil Oliver
The drive plate is in place of a flywheel when the car is an automatic: The torque converter bolts to it, providing the equivalent of the flywheels weight. It's thinnish high grade steel with the starter ring welded to the outside. Holes in the centre bolt to the crankshaft, holes at the outside bolt the converter. It should resist fatigue, unless there is a stress raiser such as a nick at the edge of a bolt hole, to start a crack off: damage caused 3000 miles ago? Once the crack starts, the drive plate will tend to rattle and it's downhill all the way. Looking at the edge of the crack may show polishing where the early parts rubbed together as the split progressed. A clean break caused by final fracture will indicate that the crack started at the other end. This doesn't really help as you'll only know after forking out the money. The plate itself is not too expensive, I assume it's an engine out job. In line engines are much easier, a few nuts and hold your breath while you balance the gear box on a trolley jack, change the plate, bolt up!
Re: Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - Keith Corless
Thanks for the info, Phil.
I had chance to see the drive plate earlier today, and it did show 3-4 cracks going radially from the centre out for a distance of 3-4 inches. There was no brightness so they may have been there for some time.
I can understand the garage taking the engine and gear box out, but, what I cannot understand why they would need to dismantle the engine itself to establish that it was the drive plate which was the source of the knocking. The engine was new 6000 miles ago (at 57K), and I was assured that the investigative work that was being done on the engine was at the behest of the warranty insurer to determine what the precise engine fault was. (I understand that they would normally send them back to manufacturer for them to determine the problem).
The upshot of this is that garage wants to charge me for the dismantling effort which was not work which I authorised (I was assured it would be under warranty), ie. a total bill of £1,600 (incl VAT). The standard Rover rate for the job is £685 (incl VAT, parts and labour).
It seems to me that I am now being asked to pay £900 for them to dismantle a new engine just to find a fault which could have been found with a cursory look at the drive plate. (I assume they would split the engine from the gear box).
Secondly, I suspect that the cracks were starting to creep even when the new engine was fitted, and so when the engine was bolted back onto the drive plate at that time, the cracks would surely have been obvious and brought bto my attention.
I'm prepared to pay the £685, but feel I am being asked to pay for the other work under false pretences. Is it unreasonable to expect the garage to explore external options before dismantling a new engine.
Comments would be welcome.
Thanks in anticipation,

Keith
Re: Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - David W
Keith,

If events are as you say the garage was negligent in not looking at all options before stripping the engine.

I mean would you be stripping a new quality engine as your first option. I wouldn't, everything else would have been chewed over first.

David
Re: Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - Keith Corless
David,
My thoughts exactly when labour is £60-70 per hour, but I didn't want to be accused of benefitting from hindsight,
I'll keep you posted,
Thanks,
Keith
Re: Rover Sterling - Engine noise. - David W
It comes back to measure twice, cut once.

David