Picked up the Scenic today.... - DP
...and so far, well chuffed with it.

First impressions are of a very smooth, responsive, comfortable and ridiculously well kitted out car which is good to drive in a comfy, kids in the back, short shifting kind of way.

The 1.9dCi engine is a belter. It's smooth, very responsive and pulls well from 1500 RPM or so. It's the refinement of the thing that gets me though - it's hard to believe this and the Mondeo run on the same fuel. The Renault engine is a little clattery under load when cold, but once warm it's smoother and quieter than the 1.6 petrol we also drove and in a different league to the admittedly olde worlde Mondeo. It has none of the rumble of a Ford or VAG diesel, just a slightly "ticky" background hum overlaid with the odd whistle from the turbo. Absolutely no vibration can be felt through the steering wheel, pedals or gearlever at any revs. Following SWMBO earlier, I noticed it barely smokes at all either. A barely visible puff in response to heavy throttle, but that's it. All over and done in a few tenths of a second.

Although this isn't a quick car by any stretch of the imagination, so deceptively does it gain speed, and with such little apparent effort, that it's easy to stray a few mph over the limit. The digital speedo works well, but the rev counter is a token effort really, and is difficult to read at a glance. The rest of the instruments, although a little gimmicky on first encounter are actually brilliantly effective. I found not having dials in front of me a little odd at first, but the big LCD panel works far better than I was expecting. The panel contains the aforementioned speedo and rev counter, plus bar gauges for fuel and coolant temperature, and a text information panel which relays information from the trip computer, as well as any service errors. .

Dynamically it's not so great. The steering deserves the first mention because quite honestly it's dreadful. Rubbery, completely devoid of feel, and with a horrible springy self centring action. This has done nothing to change my view that electric PAS, for all its efficiency and eco benefits, absolutely stinks. The car flows across country well enough at "seven tenths", which lets face it is the most you'll ever do with kids in the car. I have no inclination to explore the handling limits further from what I have discovered. so far. It just ain't that kinda car. The gearbox however is slick and surprisingly short of throw.

Equipment levels are astonishing. This is a Dynamique model which is one down from the top of the line Privilege model. This however being a demonstrator in its past life, has a great spec. For instance, I really like the Mercedes style proximity "cardkeys" which do not need to touch the car to enable it to start. As long as they're on your person, the car will unlock, and can be started just by pressing the starter button. At the other end of your journey, simply pressing the little flush mount button on the drivers door handle will lock the car as well as wind the sunroof and any open windows shut. Kit is very generous - 4 electric windows, ABS, EBD, ESP, a full complement of airbags, air-con and double sunroof, CD multichanger, refrigerated glovebox, electric folding mirrors, alloys.....you name it. And yes, it all works. For now! :-)

Faults? It's popped its offside headlight bulb at some stage this afternoon, (AAAARRGHH) and there's a bit of wind rustle from the sunroof around 80 mph (didn't get past 60-65 on the test drive). On closer inspection, the drivers side rear corner of the panel is not quite sitting flush with the surround. I suspect this is the issue. I'll get it into Renault for a warranty claim anyway

Average so far on the trip computer is 39 mpg, but that did involve a pretty mad sprint down the M1 coming back. The previous owner reckoned 42 ish was a good average,

Will post more detailed impressions once I get to know it a bit better.

Cheers
DP
Picked up the Scenic today.... - oily
We've had ours for just over two years now, and despite what's been written - mostly bad reports - we have had no major problems, just niggles.
I'd agree on your comments about the engine, gearbox and dash displays.
Ours doesn't have the sunroof, handsfree entry, ESP, folding mirrors or multichanger but as you say they are pretty well kitted out.
We manage about 42mpg with the usual mix of door to door and motorway driving but I've had over 49mpg on a long motorway run, keeping to an indicated 70 (ish)
Happy motoring.
Picked up the Scenic today.... - Altea Ego
Enjoy DP.

I have always liked scenics, and would have on on the drive in a shot if the leasing economics were right. The 1.9 dci is the best oil burning unit ever (outside the big BMW lumps) , and in the scenic the best instalation for NVH have have come across.

YOu can get a huge amount of satisfaction driving MPVs quickly. The secret is smoothness and forward planning

Work that DCI engine hard, ignore the 18k service intervals and it will do you fine.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks both for the comments.

Managed a DIY change on the headlight bulb yesterday. Luckily it was the offside (washer bottle side) rather than the nearside (battery box and fusebox side). Renault have thoughtfully put a concertina'd flexible part in the neck of the washer bottle, so by unclipping its top support, and removing the clip to the top hose, you can move the filler neck back out of the way by just enough to reach in and pop the bulb out. I don't think there's any chance of getting at the others without major surgery though. But we have two headlights again for now.

TVM - I'm going to book it into Renault for a service now. It had its 18k as scheduled, another 18k "minor" at 24k, and it's now on 37k so it could probably do with a major. I want to get this sunroof checked over as well.

Plan on servicing is to get it done to Renault schedule, and drop the oil myself half way between. Much as it grates, I will probably use the Renault dealer until the warranty and the Yellow OTS on the turbo / EGR valve expires.

Thanks again for your supportive comments.

Cheers
DP

Picked up the Scenic today.... - Xileno {P}
Only cars manufactured before June 2003 having the F9Q engine are covered by the Yellow OTS.

IMO only the very best fully synthetic should be used in these engines. I use Castrol TXT Softec 5W-40 which meets all the necessary requirements ACEA A3/B3/B4 API SL/CF.

Or if you can get it AMSOIL is good stuff.

Change it and the filter at 9K.

You can remove the EGR valve yourself to clean it - dead easy although they can be quite tight in the housing.
Good info Xileno, thanks! :-)

In that case, a service at Renault now which will see out the warranty period, and we'll go from there.

Are these later engines not affected by the potential EGR / turbo problems? The Haynes manual says there are two types of EGR valve on the 1.9. A "solenoid" version, and a "heat exchanger" version. I haven't looked at the car closely enough to work out which I have yet.

Cheers
DP
Picked up the Scenic today.... - aahbarnes
Well, we have a 54 Reg Scenic 1.9 DCi Priv. A great idea executed very poorly. Build quality is terrible - here is a list of faults. Both rear blinds snapped, leather on front seat worn, rear pillar trim keeps falling off, rear door handles keep failing, back of rear seats very weak - easily damaged by contents of boot. The list goes on, Renault have avoided fixing any of this under warranty with various excuses, one being that trim only has a 1 year warranty.

Never again!

A pity because the engine is great (although the idle is currenty rough) and the amount of storage space is fantastic.
Picked up the Scenic today.... - Altea Ego
although the idle is currenty rough

how many miles has it done? the egr could be going.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Picked up the Scenic today.... - Xileno {P}
Renault modified the oil feed pipes to the turbo, strengthened the intercooler, modified the EGR and ECU settings on later models.

Whether this is enough to solve the problems time will tell...
Thanks Xileno. I hope so!!

The car is booked in for its 36k service at the local Renault dealer next week (by which time it will be on about 37.5k) who quoted £265 all in (against the vehicle chassis number, so should be accurate enough). The sunroof "should" be covered under warranty. They reckon if it's otherwise working properly, which it is, it's probably only a minor adjustment needed anyway.

Cheers
DP