Upholstery protection-new car - massey
A friend of mine is buying a new Toyota with cloth upholstery.

Because she sometimes carries a dog she has been offered an 'upholstery treatment' before delivery of the car. I think its 'scotchguard'or a name similar to this?

Is this treatment effective or a waste of money?

Any advice appreciated
Upholstery protection-new car - L'escargot
It's only intended to resist staining. It won't protect against damage by the dog's claws.
--
L\'escargot.
Upholstery protection-new car - Altea Ego
Yes, scotchguard is the name of the stuff, made by 3M. It is very good, and does resist against staining.

However

THe garage will charge a fortune for a 15 quid product that you can do yourself afterwards with the same stuff.
It resists staining, however it wont stop the moisture that dogs exude from soaking through the material to the underfelt, Your interior my look clean and stains brush off easier, but it will still stink of wet lab.

And as the snail says, it wont stop the material being ripped.

If you have the room a dog tent (dog bag) is the way to go - probably cost the same as the garage want to scotchguard the car.
www.dog-bag.co.uk/dbgintro.html
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Upholstery protection-new car - ndr116
I recently purchased a new Toyota and was offered the paint and upholstery protection. Your friend should be able to negotiate the upholstery protection into the price, my dealer capitulated this extra without a fight (wouldn't budge on paint protection though so didn't bother with that). It is as others have said, a cheap product that does not take long to apply, but if someone else will do it for you at no extra cost it's better still.
Upholstery protection-new car - runboy
I am in a similar position with a new motor coming with alcantara upholstery. I asked the same question about interior protection and got similar answer to ones above. You can buy a can of the 3M Scotchguard stuff and apply it yourself if the dealer still wants to charge more than a few quid to do it.
Upholstery protection-new car - Aprilia
Do an Ebay search for 'Diamondbrite' or 'Ultrajewel' - this is the stuff that most of the dealers use. Its very cheap (you'll get a 500ml aerosol for well under £10). Its not bad stuff actually, but use it in a well ventialted area and use a fabric face mask (from local paint suppliers or B&Q).
Upholstery protection-new car - local yokel
I'd suggest the best solution to the damp/hairy/grubby dog (or children) problem is to install all-over seat protectors such as used by the 4x4 fraterntity. They are said to be waterproof, so should keep hair, dirt and any "leakage" off the upholstery. Thick heavy mats of the floor should help with the carpets.