removing tar from wheel arch - penguin
Hi all, I have a meriva and there is some tar on the paintwork by the front wheel arch. Anyone know whats the best thing to remove it? My husband thought it was just a mark and touched it so now its smeared a bit! I haven't tried to remove it as I don't want to damage the paintwork.
Many thanks
Julie
removing tar from wheel arch - the original horse
a soft cotton cloth and some tcut , read the instructions on the tcut , available most good shops, even supermarkets !
removing tar from wheel arch - Hamsafar
I always use white spirit and an old cotton cloth.
removing tar from wheel arch - henry k
I always use Polycell brush cleaner and a soft cloth.
removing tar from wheel arch - Simon
WD40 will work as well.
removing tar from wheel arch - Peter D
I'm with Ashok on this white spirit. Beware of Brush cleaner I have seen the water based laquer coats go misty. Regards Peter
removing tar from wheel arch - Clk Sec
I'm another white spirit user, but I might try WD40 next time to see if that does any better. Not sure about T Cut though.

Clk Sec
removing tar from wheel arch - L'escargot
Not sure about
T Cut though.

I agree. You want to dissolve it not remove it by abrasion.
--
L\'escargot.
removing tar from wheel arch - steveo3002
white spirit is cheap ,safe and effective .....if its small spots use a damp cloth, for bigger areas use a cheap trigger spray , mist it on and wipe off after 5 minutes

re wax the area after tar removal as chances are the wax will be gone
removing tar from wheel arch - the original horse
>> Not sure about
>> T Cut though.
I agree. You want to dissolve it not remove it by
abrasion.
--
L\'escargot.

what !? its what its meant for ! either normal tcut for normal paint finish or tcut mettallic for, well guess ! theres very little abrasion involved, it softens the tar, and from what ive read off original poster [it smeared when hubby touched it ] its not been on long , so will fly off, read the label "removes tar spots " lol
by the way theres no way i would be using brush cleaner or turps etc etc . wd40 might do it but but etc .
removing tar from wheel arch - Victorbox
I find that tar blobs on paintwork can be softened & removed with a good blob of car polish - something like Autoglym Super Resin polish does the trick. Allow it to soak in & then polish off with a soft cloth. If you use any other solvent you must polish the paint afterwards with car polish to protect it.
removing tar from wheel arch - Pugugly {P}
Autoglym - I'm a convert....(wonderous what a perceived freebie will do - see GTi thread)
removing tar from wheel arch - daveyjp
Decent non abrasive polish will do the trick - I use Mer and it took four large rubber scuff marks from trainer soles off the sill of our Aygo with little effort. I have removed tar with it in the past.
removing tar from wheel arch - Roly93
A rag dampened with petrol will do the job, and the petrol will not harm the paint as long as you wipe clean afterwards.
removing tar from wheel arch - penguin
Thanks all, I sprayed a bit of wd40 onto a soft cloth and it came off instantly.
Many thanks
removing tar from wheel arch - autumnboy

White Spirits.