Seat Toledo TDiSE loosing coolant? - cattleman6
I am puzzled that my 1.9 diesel 110 bhp Toledo continues to loose coolant.After a round trip of 230 miles, the coolant usually goes to or just under the minimum line after having started on the maximum line in the coolant box. The car still does around 60 mph on long runs and doesn't use any oil. It has not lost any power, it doesn't smoke and the oil is clean. I recently got the coolant cap replaced; but it still looses coolant. Hozes have been replaced.
The boss at my main dealer is a thoroughly experienced man. He says the car is starting to have cover head gasget trouble, as he saw a certain amount of dirt in the coolant box. He said there are many different ways the wearing of the coverhead gasket can show, not necessarily only water going in to the oil.
I really wonder if any knowlegeable person out there has any other ideas, as the car goes fantastically. It has done 140,000 miles. It has never let me down.A fantastic car!!
Seat Toledo TDiSE loosing coolant? - injection doc
I suspect the boss at the main dealer is right if the expansion tank is getting dirty & as you say he's thorougly experienced! He's dead right about how many different way's a headgasket can leak unless you have a hairline crack in the head
When you park it at night have you put a sheet of paper underneath to see if any a/f drips seeps at night. If the water pump had a week seal it won't leak all the time its under pressure as this helps tighten the seal but may weep when you park but only a small amount,
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to write back. I actually had the water pump replaced some months ago. I hate having such a good car having to be really taken apart. It just glides along. Quantities of extras that came with the car at the end of 1999. They all still work. Climate control, electric moving and heated mirrors, traction control, stability control, alloy wheels etc etc!! Amazing how many new cars come with much less. Many thanks again " injection doc".
Seat Toledo TDiSE loosing coolant? - johnka26
I've been nursing a similar coolant leak from my Golf TDI (also 110) which isn't much younger than your car (Sept 2000), and may share some parts in common. Mine leaks from the lower right corner of the radiator, but never leaks quite fast enough for coolant to drip off the car. I first noticed while changing the oil, and saw the leakage when the engine cover was off. Worth a look?
Seat Toledo TDiSE loosing coolant? - mss1tw
Hi cattlemam - I have the same car but a 2002.

Did you ever have the coolant changed? This is one of my jobs planned for the weekend - SEAT advised me it's a 'for life' fill but I'm not convinced at all, nothing lasts forever.
It's very interesting. Thanks for telling me. I will check it out. Many thanks!!
Seat Toledo TDiSE loosing coolant? - JohnM{P}
My 51 Golf 110TDi started loosing water around 50K. Dealer couldn't find any visible leaks, so they changed head gasket (under warranty) at 60k. No more coolant loss until it went back to leasing company at 99k.