Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - Matt_2311
Hi guys, just wondering if I could have some advice?

Basically I've got a bit of a problem with my car. Whenever I go over a hole in the road I hear this tremendous bang from the rear of the car. WHat side generally depends on which wheel has gone in the hole, but it does tend to happen more on the nearside-rear. Any ideas?
Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - bbroomlea{P}
It could be something simple like the cover for the spare wheel as I think it is wood and can be noisy if not secure.

It may also be the rear trailing arms of the suspension. The bushes tend to wear as there are grease nipples that dont get done once the car falls out of manufacturers reccomended servicing. To check this your rear wheels will lean slightly inwards when lookin from the back, or alternatively jack up each rear wheel, apply the handbrake and try moving the wheel up and down - you may see where the arm that the wheel is attached to joins the car, movement of several milimeters.

If thats the case, you are probably looking at about £70 a side to have the bushes replaced. Its fairly tricky job as the suspension has to be deflated and pumped back up again so not everywhere has a hydrogas system - although more garages do than you would think!!
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the spare wheel cover. You're right in that it is just a wooden disc so I'll experiment a bit with that. One think my mechanic mentioned at the service back in February was there was slight play in the offside rear wishbone but nothing too much to worry about. Could it be that thats causing the bang?
Sorry I meant to say nearside rear. Not offside rear suspension.
Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - bbroomlea{P}
I may be wrong but dont think that metro/100's have wishbones but spheres instead due to the hydragas suspension. Someone should be able to confirm tho?
Yeah it's defineately hydragas, had to replace a displacer not so long ago at the front. I'm taking it into the garage anyway for it's MOT in the middle of next month so I'll ask my mechanic then if he's got any ideas. Cheers for the help mate.
Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - Robin the Technician
Most likely cause is the Hydragas unit has siezed and is banging against the pad on the underside of the floor.
Try bouncing the car up and down on the rear to see how the suspension behaves. My old Rover 100 at last MOT was told they were close to seizure and as they were a sealed unit it would have cost a fortune to replace them.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - graham woods
Hi there, In the past I have found it to be the rear subframe mounting brackets. i.e. A loud bang when going over potholes etc. Hope this helps, Cheers, Graham.
Rover 100 - Bang from rear of car - bell boy
get the mot check done sooner
that way you can spend the minimum to getting it repaired as opposed to fishing in the dark
car may be scrap remember bro ,so you win twice,or lose depending on your outlook