parking fine- car not ticketed - Jessica
On saturday I recieved a 'notice to owner' to say that my car had been ticketed on 27/2/07 and that the charge had not been paid. As a result I have a bill for £80.

I never got a ticket on my car. where do I stand? Can I argue that I should be allowed to pay the 50% discounted rate on the grounds that I did not have a PCN? I agree that I was parked on a yellow line, 5 mins before I was allowed to.

The back of the letter has 'grounds for representations to the council' of which the only one vaguely descriptive of my position is:
'you disagree that the Parking Attendant was prevented from issuing the PCN'.
Is this the correct description of my complaint?

thanks
parking fine- car not ticketed - OldHand
If you weren't ticketed then you should appeal on that basis rather than admitting anything.
thanks for the replies :)

how do I go about complaining about this?
parking fine- car not ticketed - boxsterboy
You need to make representations.

The Notice To Owner should give you a number of options. You need to tick the 'Ticket Not Valid' option. Under the Road Traffic Act 1991, as HJ says, the ticket needs to be placed on the vehicle or given to the driver, for it to be valid.

Beware that the ticket may have been removed by 'youths' as has happened to me in the past. I have previously ticked the 'Ticket Not Valid' option as outlined above (because I genuinely didn't receive a ticket, and found myself in the same position as you). The council then produced a photo of the ticket on my car, and I had to pay the full charge. Conversely, once I returned to my car as the warden was writing the ticket and drove off before he finished, subsequently received Notice To Owner for not paying the ticket (that I never received), appealed as above and won, despite having to go to the National Adjudication Service in Northampton because the Council (would love to name and shame them!) lost all the paperwork and instructed bailiffs.

Worth it in the end, though. If we all just lie down and take it, where would we end up?
Thanks. Would the correct option then be 'the relevant traffic order was invalid'? I really dont understand the jargon being used here!

Also, I have read the following on
www.parkingticket.co.uk/em.html

If you know that you had been illegally parked and the NtO arrived within a couple of months then I would recommend that you:-

i) respond admitting you were there at the time in question

ii) say that, had you received the ticket you would immediately have paid it at the reduced rate and that, in fairness the authority should give you the opportunity to pay it at the reduced rate.

iii) enclose a cheque for payment at the reduced rate

Although there is no guarantee that this will be accepted, human nature being what it is, most councils would rather have the reduced amount without any further argument than have the hassle of trying to get the other half from you.

would people agree with this?

parking fine- car not ticketed - Muggy
Just a thought, but is it possible that some idiotic joker removed the ticket from the windscreen before you returned to the car?