Gathering support - Andy
The ridiculous attitude to cars by this government and Red Ken is receiving more attention in the media, at last.

Bus lane decision riles Wogan

by David Williams
An "insane" bus lane, famously attacked by radio personality Terry Wogan for almost causing him to miss the start of his early morning show, is here to stay.

Mayor Ken Livingstone launched the bus lane in Marylebone Road last year: it was instantly savaged by furious motorists who said it caused huge delays on their way to work.

Millions of Radio 2 listeners then heard the veteran presenter lash out at the scheme after he became stuck in a mile-long traffic jam on Marylebone Road, where cars have been reduced to a single lane in some places, to make way for the experimental bus lane.

Now, however, Transport for London is risking Wogan's very public wrath once more by announcing that the lane is to be made a permanent feature on one of the capital's busiest roads. To make sure motorists get the message, it will be painted bright red.

Derek Turner, managing director of TfL Street Management, announced: "This scheme is vital to keep public transport running smoothly and we are pleased with the feedback we've received.

"Initial problems have been resolved and it is evident that buses, coaches, taxis and cyclists have all experienced considerable benefits and will now continue to do so."

Terry Wogan, however, had a very different view.

He told the Standard: "It makes everybody late - it would not be so bad if you sometimes saw a full bus on it but when you do manage to spot one it is always empty. It is a complete joke: it is a major access road and they seem to have forgotten the needs of the motorist.

"No doubt they will tell us - as they did with the M4 bus lane - that by closing one lane everybody is getting to work more quickly. It is insanity.

"They do not want anyone to use cars any more - having driven us all to live in the suburbs they now won't let us drive back in again.

"I cannot imagine any other country in the world tolerating such a scheme; only the phlegmatic British motorist, who is apparently content to sit in his car fuming, then go into the office and forget all about it instead of writing to his MP."

Wogan warned that he would be returning to the subject on his morning show.

TfL blamed "initial difficulties" with the bus lane in its first week on the simultaneous breakdown of traffic lights and roadworks by Westminster City Council which carried out resurfacing on nearby routes.

The bus lane had now "stabilised" and was achieving its objective. It was also vital to protect bus journey times while highly disruptive work was carried out at King's Cross, for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, said Turner.

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 21 March 2002
Terms and Conditions
This Is London
Re: Gathering support - Brian
I work very close to this and use the Marylebone Road from Tottenham Court Road westbound for a couple of hundred yards.
The problem is actually caused by British Gas who have been working their way down Marylebone Road to Great Portland Street for about a year. Once they finish the jam and the need for the bus lane will disappear (but the bus lane won't).
Re: Gathering support - DarylD
I used to work in central London for 10 years as a service engineer and I always used the bus or tube to get to customers. But when using a bus lane they were usually blocked by courier vans, road works, and cars (parked or poorly psotioned on the road). So I suggest that the crackdown should be on what causes the traffic congestion in the first place-and that is illegal obstructions to traffic. In my view the obstruction parking should attact a minimum fine of £500. Sorted. And Terry Wogan should take the tube anyway and stop moaning.
Re: Gathering support - Derek
I'm not sure that a 'for' or 'anti' vote on anything, from Mr Wogan, would influence me. Would he be impressed by a blow by blow account of MY journey to work? I shouldn't think so and rightly so.

Stick to the jokes and Eurovision, Terry, it's what you're good at.
Re: Gathering support - Brian
No he isn't.
Thank goodnesss for the "off" switch.
Re: Gathering support - Derek
Now, Brian, come on. I said he was good at it. I didn't say I liked it!