rover 414i coolant disappears - sparkplug
Hi Everyone

I have a strange problem with my car. The coolant disappears about one litre goes. Sometimes it was going after a month and other times after two days. So eventually i discovered that when the car is idling for about 3 hours, the one litre disappears. this is strange because during idling the rev/min never goes above 950 and relatively less heat is generated.

The last time the cooling system had a problem was two years ago. the coolant was leaking from a gasket under the fuel

injection system. This also started giving me timing problems with slow running of the car. engine had lost power at slow speeds and would often stall. and the coolant level had fallen a lot so the hot air was not working inside the car. however the engine was not overheating. so they opened up the top part, replaced the gasket and seal and its been great since then.

I don't know much about cooling systems but there could be an electronic pump to circulate the coolant or a mechanical pump to circulate the coolant. if this circulation is not happening properly (while idling) coolant can reach boiling point. maybe

i need to replace the thermostat?

any ideas would be helpful....
rover 414i coolant disappears - injection doc
Worth a head gasket test, but the inlet manifolds are very prone to leaking at the end nearest the gearbox & they tend to slowly suck the water in the engine & vaporises it so unless its bad you don't see where the water goes. A pressure test should find it. Try replacing the radiator cap oops sorry expansion bottle cap they are modified and when they loose pressure on this model it makes them boil up prematurly.
Regards