Bus Lanes - Andy Bairsto
Although I live in Germany I come from Bradford(no jokes)where they have built a dedicated self steering bus lane at a cost that would save the NHS .It has caused accidents you cannot now cross the road safely even to get on the Bus, caused traffic jams and has had the effect of making the buses slower.
Who dreams these things up without working out the consquences at such enormous cost to the tax payer.
Re: Bus Lanes - Andy
And the most disturbing thing is that it will be declared a success!
Have you noticed that under this government there is no such thing as a 'bad idea'?
There's never any need for a rethink, especially where ant-car measures are concerned. Everything is 'on target', nothing is counter-productive.
No doubt Bradford council will produce amazing figures to back up their wonderful scheme.
Re: Bus Lanes - Graham Sherlock
Probably the same people that insist the bus lanes in Ipswich should be enforced on a 24/7 basis, AND no motorbikes. Hurumph!

And while we're on the subject, is it lawful for a bus to switch to and use the normal lanes coming up to traffic lights, when it's own personally dedicated set of lights in its lane are at red?
Re: Bus Lanes - Phil Ireland
Surprised to learn Bradford experimenting with selfsteer bus routes. This was tried in Birmingham in late eighties on a route which had a central reservation that had been left over from the tramway system. After a year was pronounced totally impractical for general service and discontinued. Birmingham leads Bradford to follow I should think.

Phil I
Re: Bus Lanes - Andy Bairsto
Lets hope so Phil
Re: Bus Lanes - The
If they do scrap it, it will probably be replaced by a tram.

After all: what's the point of having a bus that can drive round the obstruction in the next guided section when you can have a tram that can grind to a halt at any problem, with all the later ones joining the queue and gridlocking the city.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is there a common track to the thinking behind all these modern, futuristic even, transport "innovations".

.....8X.........Snip..........85%.............

Why nuke a city when you can use a "clean" weapon to destroy all life in it?
Re: Bus Lanes - David W
Bogush said...

.....8X.........Snip..........85%.............

Actually that seems to work quite well ;-)

Re: Misguided bus systems.

There is a plan afoot here to ease the terrible traffic problems on the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge with a guided bus system.

What, spend the cost of the extra carriageway (I'm guessing) in each direction on a separate route dedicated to a tram and useless to the car driver!

If introduced thay would have all the press and big wigs on day one then the thing would run with half a dozen greens and councillors on board from then on.

And by then the A14 would be even busier with more problems, wonder what the answer might be...another guided bus track?

David
Re: Bus Lanes - Wee Eckie
Had them in Glasgow called trams.