Tyre Reviews - hillman1 {p}
Advice Please. I need to replace the tyres on my Mondeo. I currently have Continental Sport Contact 2 which I think have been great but have not lasted as well as I would have liked. I have spent a bit of time on the internet trying to find independant reviews of alternatives but wondered if anybody here had any suggestions of either where to look or personal experience? Many thanks
Tyre Reviews - daveyjp
How long have they lasted? Front or back? Plenty of similar threads if you do a search.

I fitted Vredestein Ultracs to the front of my A3 after getting 22,000 from the factory fitted Michelins. After 10,000 they still had 6mm left, so would have done mid 20,000s before changing. 205/55/16s were £75 each and they gave excellent handling in all conditions and on decent road surfaces they were very quiet. A good alternative to the Michelins which would have cost over £100 each.
Tyre Reviews - cheddar
My Mondeo TDCi on 205/50-17's came with Conti Sport Contact II's, I replaced the Sport Contact IIs with Sport Contacts (i.e. not II's though just as good) until 78k miles, typically the fronts lasted approx 25k and the rears 30k but for nails in tyres etc. At 78k I put on Bridgestone RE040's, the fronts only lasted 17k and the rears 25k though they were a lot cheaper than the Contis and drove just as well. I now have Falken FK452s purchased on the basis of reports in the press, to early to say re wear rate though grip etc seems great.

Nowdays:
Conti Sport Contact 3 205/50/17 91W - iro £120
Conti Sport Contact Extra Load 205/50/17 93W - iro £150
Bridgstone RE040 205/50/17 89V - iro £90
Falken FK452 Extra Load 205/50/17 93Y - £80
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. It seems that the Sport Contact IIs can appear to wear quite quickly from the reports I have read. I am aware that my driving may be classed as 'spirited' at times. Having said that my 50 miles round trip to work each day is on windy country roads and I guess that would mean they would wear quicker then if I was doing a lot of motorway driving.

I had never heard of Falken Tyres but on the advice above I have looked on the internet and the reviews do seem very positive for the FK452. For 205/55/16W they work out at £54 each which if they are as good as the reports suggest seems to be a bit of a bargain.

I am always weary when buying tyres that they work well- they are quite important after all!!

I will probably order them shortly and leave feedback as and when.......

Thanks
Hello there,

Have had the Falken FK452s on the car for a few weeks now and have held off giving feedback as I was waiting to see how they were in the wet.

Initial impressions seem good. They are a little noisier than the Conti's before, but not enough to worry about. The handling is very good in the dry- no noticeable difference to before and also pretty good in the wet. Total price was approx £65 each inc vat, fitting, balancing etc.

Will have to wait and see how well they wear....

Thanks for the advice.
Tyre Reviews - cheddar
Have had the Falken FK452s on the car for a few weeks now >>

Thanks for the feedback, I have had FK452 on the front for about 8k and the rear for about 2k, no excessive wear, I find them very reassuring with a nice bite uppn turn in and they have felt good on the wet though greasy roads this week.
Tyre Reviews - quizman
In the recent Which test Michelin HP's and Pirelli P7's came out top. I have had P7's on my Passat and liked them. Recently I have had Conti Contact 2's fitted, I don't like them as well as the P7's.

So my advice is Pirelli P7.
Tyre Reviews - Hamsafar
Yes, I second the vote for P7s, they also came top in some giant tyre test involving Autoexpress magazine and it's foreign cohorts.

Another recommendation is Goodyear Eagle F1, these are even better than the P7s in terms of wet and dry grip, handling, quieter, but alas, they wear out a bit faster, and are useless on snow or ice, mud etc.... whereas P7s are actually very good on these loose surfaces.
Tyre Reviews - CGNorwich
I drive a CMAX TDCI and it is also equipped with Continental Sport contact 2.

I drive in what i believe to be a fairly sedate style and yet am on my third pair after 33,000 miles. I regularly check pressures and wear is not uneven. Have never had tyres that wear so quickly - would have expected 25,000 miles plus. Up to now has been the company's problem but with the end of the car scheme have just bought the car so would be intererested if any other CMAX owners have had similar experience.

Tyre Reviews - charlesb
I too had Conti Sport Contacts on my Touran and got 15K from the 1st pair. I've switched to Pirelli P6000 at the front as I had these on my Bora and they lasted 20K. I think Continentals are poor. The best (I Hear) are Michelins, but are more expensive. I paid £80 per tyre for the Pirelli's including fitting etc..>> I drive a CMAX TDCI and it is also equipped with

-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Tyre Reviews - Ruperts Trooper
Continentals are quieter than most of the other brands.

From my experience Michelins DON'T last, but I do remember the days when they did!
Tyre Reviews - midlifecrisis
I got 26000 out of the Contis on my Vectra fitted with 19" rims. Excellent tyre.
Tyre Reviews - Andy P
Some reviews [url=www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp]here[/url]

Tyre Reviews - Andy P
Try again...

www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp

(P.S. why no edit button?)
Tyre Reviews - Andy P
...and some more here:

www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-tests
Tyre Reviews - CJay{P}
I seem to recall a similar topic discussed sometime ago on this forum - a number of contributors seemed to rate Kumho (sp?) quite highly. IIRC, Aprillia or someone stated that Kumho are also fitted at the factory in some VWs.
Tyre Reviews - ForumNeedsModerating
I got 26000 out of the Contis on my Vectra fitted with 19" rims. Excellent tyre.

Surprised you bothered with tyres at all - why not just have 20" rims? ;)

On the general point though of how tyres wear & the minutiae of how they feel,
steer, brake, cope with etc. etc. , well perhaps my motoring sensibilities aren't
sufficiently keen or developed , as I do find it difficult to make such comparisions.
Whether or how tyres change characterisitcs over different surfaces, or give more
grip, I must admit, almost completely passes me by.
The differences attributed, must in many cases, be vanishingly small, then
you read... "The Klongclump UltraTrax were so bad over loose shale, I almost
junked them there & then, oh how I miss the Michelop Super-Sports, even though they wore out
at 97K miles..."

Mind you, I'm the same with opera...
Tyre Reviews - Dynamic Dave
woodbines,

I take it you're not aware that when you get to the end of a line it word wraps automatically for you onto the next line, rather than you having to hit the enter key when you *think* you're at the end of a line?

Just thought I'd mention it as the formatting of your posts seems to be different to everyone elses.

DD.
Tyre Reviews - midlifecrisis
There is definitely a significant 'feel' between different tyres. When I had my ZT, I changed from Contis to Khumos. Suddenly felt like I was driving on Jelly.
Tyre Reviews - Marc
When I had a Mondeo it was fitted from new with Continental Premium Contact. Poor tyre which only lasted 12k on the fronts. Replaced all eventually with Contisport Contact and they lasted much longer both front and back and were a good all round tyre - so I would stick with those if I were you. Can't remember the exact mileages as it was a few years back.

Not on a Mondeo but I recently got 48k out of the Goodyear NCT5s on the rear of my Vectra - I was pleased with that. The fronts lasted about 30k IIRC.
Tyre Reviews - mlj
Echo the previous comments on Vredestein. My local tyre independent (I have been a customer for 20 years) suggested I change to them three years ago when i went in for a pair of michelins. I trust him and saved myself about £30. Great tyres, lasted 30K and I've never bought anything else since.
Tyre Reviews - Micky
NCT5s last, but IMHO they can be twitchy for last few k in the wet. Vredesteins are excellent in the wet but seem to be a bit pricey now. Avoid Firestones if you have any interest in steering on damp roads. Toyo do a very cost effective tyre but I can't find them in 205/55/16. I've had a couple of bowel-moments with Pirellis on FWD, might have improved now though (the tyres that is)
Tyre Reviews - Roly93
When I had a Mondeo it was fitted from new with Continental Premium Contact. Poor
tyre which only lasted 12k on the fronts. Replaced all eventually with Contisport Contact and
they lasted much longer both front and back and were a good all round tyre

>>
I switched my A4 Avant from Sport Contact IIs to Prem Contacts and what a mistake that was. The Prem Copntacts are either a poor tyre or just very un-suited to the Audi A4. I didn't find they wore out any quicker than the Sport Contacts, but found they gave a wierd 'lumpy' sort of ride and were quite noisy also.
The Sport Contacts II's are at best an 'okay' tyre, but too wear quite quickly. The most amazing tyre I have come across lately was the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - quiet, good in the wet AND reasonably durable.

I dont trust Pirelli although a lot of people do say the P7 are okay. My personal fear whenever I buy a tyre is road noise personally, and a lot of the far eastern made budget tyres seem to have a big potential for this, with their cheap and hard compounds.
Tyre Reviews - Ravenger
I drive a CMAX TDCI and it is also equipped with Continental Sport contact 2.

I've got a C-Max 1.8 TDCi, just completed 10,000 miles and had its first service.

It's got Conti Sport Contact 2's fitted, and tyre tread is down to 4mm on the fronts and 6mm on the backs.

I'm sure a good 1 mm of wear on the fronts were cause by my wife wheelspinning the car for 5 secs trying to get it back onto our driveway the other day. No traction control on my car :-(

I tend to get quite a bit of road noise, not sure if any other tyre brand would be quieter and give the same grip.

Tyre Reviews - Blue {P}
So far I've always found Hankook to be one of the best performing and most economical tyres I've ever bought. They're fitted OEM to some Fords and VWs so they can't be that bad.

Apparently I have to be careful when choosing new tyres for the MG TF as they're very fussy about what is fitted.

Blue
Tyre Reviews - grahamw
I have a 1.6 2005 Focus with the orginally fitted Michelin Pilot Premacy's I've covered 25k, the fronts have 4mm and the rears 6mm of tread left. I will be fitting the new HP's when replacements are due. These same tyres covered 20k on the front and 40k on the rear of a previously owned Mondeo diesel.