Alternative car polish - barchettaman
Pulled up at the jet wash this afternoon, the guy in front was busy giving his Honda CRX a good vigorous rub-down with Cif, that non-abrasive, gentle-on-the-paintwork car wax. Said he´d been using it for 3 years - by the look of the paint, I could believe it.

You couldn´t make it up.
Alternative car polish - PhilW
b,
April Fools' Day was yesterday - you are kidding aren't you???
--
Phil
Nope. I mentioned to the guy in a kind of `Woah! What are you doing!!` way that perhaps Cif wasn´t the best product to get a silky, shiny finish on his paintwork, and he got a wee bit offended.

The world´s gone mad.
Alternative car polish - Round The Bend
I prefer Cillit Bang.
Alternative car polish - Stuartli
Brillo pads for metal surfaces.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Alternative car polish - Round The Bend
Reminds me of my brother's enterprising business set up at his school where they washed teachers cars for 50p during "activities" period on a Friday afternoon .

All went well for several weeks and as the business grew, he sub-contracted to a lad who was thicker than he looked. The lad used brillo pad for some of those hard to clean areas leaving severe damage to the unfortunate teacher's car...........................

Alternative car polish - Brian Tryzers
Anyone else use Amazon's DVD rental service? Reckon they've got a whole department whose job is to give the discs a thorough cleaning with Brillo pads. I nearly fainted when the copy of Walk the Line they sent me played faultlessly from start to finish.
Good film that. How Joaquin Pheonix didn´t win the Oscar was beyond me, the best film acting I´ve seen for ages.

Now, back to Cif on paintwork - compare and contrast with my elderly Astra, which after a bit of work with the clay bar, then polishing out Mrs B´s parking incident, a quick go with the tyre spray stuff and a good hoover, is now back to its glorious* best. I got the aircon re-gassed today and it´s blowing icy cold now, which as spring has sprung in Frankfurt was well worth doing.

*inasmuch as a ´99 astra estate will ever look glorious
Alternative car polish - midlifecrisis
Can you use clay on metallic?
Eh? On metallic paint, or bodywork worn down to the metal by zealous application of Cif?
The Astra is a delightful metallic sicky green, and the claybar works fine, leaves the paint glassy smooth.
Dunno how it would work on a Ciffed CRX, don´t think the guy would appreciate me asking either.
Alternative car polish - PhilW
"claybar works fine"
A whetstone would be quicker, followed by Ajax liquid to buff it.
--
Phil
Alternative car polish - Robbie
In our local Tesco there has sprung up a couple of "car hand washers" from £5.00. The pair operate from what appears to be a converted trolley. No water supply apart from a redundant kitchen spray container.

They seem to be doing a flourishing business, but I certainly wouldn't let them near my car. They spray a section of the car and sponge it down.
Alternative car polish - mss1tw
"car hand washers" from £5.00

Everything except the kitchen sink...