Oil and Filter Change - Roger k.
National Tyres are offering an oil and filter change for £15.
The oil is Duckhams QXR (max. 5 litres)semi synthetic and the filter unspecified.

How do they do it?
Halfords charge £20.99 for QXR alone.
A small garage would charge, what, £20/hour labour?
At this price , is it worth getting your hands dirty?
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
As long as the filter is a reputable make (Fram, Coopers, Bosch, Champion) etc, go for it but beware for the hard sell on tyres exhaust and shocks!
Re: Oil and Filter Change - j.cronin
Halfords guarantee their filters to be as good or better than OE.
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Keithb
Safer and normally no more expensive to buy maker's oil filter. I would never buy Halfords own brand parts after some bad experiences e.g. oil filter had no anti-drain valve on car where it's mounted upside-down. Knocking from engine at start-up alerted me.

I think their guarantee is just marketing hype. If you ruin your engine they'll refund the cost of the filter if you're lucky!
Re: Oil and Filter Change - David W
Keith,

In fairness to Halfords their stuff is actually sourced from many OE places and to a top standard.

I know because I handle many parts and can tell, plus my relative is in their purchasing/product quality section and the facts confirm my own experience.

David
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Keithb
David

I bow to your greater knowledge of these things! My bad experience with an oil filter was some years ago and it was unfair of me to use that as a comment on current quality. Though it just goes to show that once you lose a customer's trust, it's very difficult to regain it.

Keith
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Stonewall
and brake pads
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Tom Shaw
Good value if they drain the oil from the sump plug; dubious value if they suck it out through the dipstick hole. Either way they are probably usig it as a loss leader, hoping to persuade you that your tyres / brakes and whatever else they sell could do with replacing.
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Tom Shaw
Sorry, other two posts went up as I was typing.
Re: Oil and Filter Change - jez
I used Kwik-Fit as their deal was £35 for an oil an filter change using Mobil 1. My Omega takes 6 litres of oil, which would have cost £60 at Halfords. I watched the guy do the service which included removing the sump plug, filling the Mobil from a big barrel, and putting my Slick 50 in.
Re: Oil and Filter Change - billy25
quite a few of these offers on at this time of year, maybe they are trying to set-up a supply of old oil to fire their garage "space heaters". :-)
Re: Oil and Filter Change - John S
Because there's apparently plenty of profit in oil prices.

Vauxhall 10-40 semi synth 5l is about £14 retail, and DW easily gets it for less, which makes GTX etc look expensive.

Regards

john
Re: Oil and Filter Change - David W
John,

I was last buying it at £8.20 for 5l.

David
Re: Oil and Filter Change - pete
Can't (won't) tell you what I pay for 1000litres of semi-synth but National aren't 'losing' money - they're dangling a carrot
Re: Oil and Filter Change - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Bulk oil can be very cheap......when we have 1200 litres delivered, it is criminally cheap!
Re: Oil and Filter Change - J Bonington Jagworth
Have it done. I couldn't believe this either (it was £10 a couple of years ago!) and I let them do it when I was in a hurry. The filter was a Coopers, and the only reason that I usually do the job myself is that I still derive some satisfaction from it. They didn't even come on with the hard sell...
Re: Oil and Filter Change - philip hamson
buy your fully synthetic in france wwhen you get your wine.. Mobil1 5 litres is usually at a very good price in leclerc and the like but are O.E. oil filters from dealers in France any cheaper?
Re: H*lf*rds own - rogerb
I had a set of duff glowplugs, which cost me a lot, 'cos I ended-up having an unnecessary part-replacement (starter relay £70!), on the assumption that "It CAN't be the - nearly-new - glow-plugs!".
Got a refund from H, with no Q's asked, but....
Re: H*lf*rds own - j.cronin
So?
Oil and Filter Change - Grove
National Tyres are offering an oil and filter change for £15.
The oil is Duckhams QXR (max. 5 litres)semi synthetic and the
filter unspecified.
How do they do it?
Halfords charge £20.99 for QXR alone.
A small garage would charge, what, £20/hour labour?
At this price , is it worth getting your hands dirty?

National are running the same offer again. I was thinking of taking them up on it. How did you get on? Did they fit a decent filter?

I need to ensure that I get 5w30 rather than the usual 10w40 that Duckhams QXR is available in. Do you know what they supplied you with?

Any advice welcomed
Oil and Filter Change - Blue {P}
If you need the 5W30 as you own a Ford Zetec then I'd recommend RapidFit. They are ran by Ford (normally alongside a main dealers) and use all genuine Ford parts, they're fully synth 5W30 oil and filter change is about £19.99 IIRC, all of the time, at our local one it is anyway.

At least that way you *know* the right stuff is been used. If it's any other car then I can't be certain!

I've used my local Rapid Fit for wheel alignment and they were brill :-)

Blue
Oh my god, I've used "they're" instead of "their"

Thought I'd comment on that before someone else does :-)

Blue
Oil and Filter Change - Grove
I've used RapidFit in the past and been pleased, but they told me that they had put their price up for Oil&Filter to £36. I was only planning to chnage the oil as an 'extra' between services!!

Perhaps I'll try a different rapidfit?
Argh! Maybe it was just a temporary thing then? I haven't done the mileage to go in and have the oil changed there yet as the first one will be a dealer job.

I definately remember them having a banner up for ages at our local one advertising the service for £20, don't know if it's still there, I'll take note when I pass.

Blue
Oil and Filter Change - quizman
Ford 5W30 oil is not fully synthetic.
Oil and Filter Change - Davy_S {P}
> National Tyres are offering an oil and filter change for £15.
>The oil is Duckhams QXR (max. 5 litres)semi synthetic and the filter >unspecified.

But not for diesels :-(

--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Oil and Filter Change - drbe
> National Tyres are offering an oil and filter change for
£15.
>The oil is Duckhams QXR (max. 5 litres)semi synthetic and the
filter >unspecified.
But not for diesels :-(
--
Davy S.
Oops, where did that screw go!!

Anyone know why not for diesels?
Where can I get my (diesel engine)oil changed?

Regards Don drbe
Oil and Filter Change - Andrew-T
Perhaps people come back twice as often?