Ford Focus 1400cc - midlifecrisis
I'm considering a Focus 1400LX as a replacement for the wife's Fiesta. It's a 54 plate, 16000m with a sticker price of £3600. I know all the arguments that the 1.6-1.8 are much better, but this seems a good price. It would only be used in the local area. My question is, are they to be avoided at all costs or are they perfectly acceptable for a second, family car.
Ford Focus 1400cc - Brian Tryzers
Rented a (new) Focus 1.4 from Shannon airport two years ago. Not quick but not embarrassingly slow either (quicker than our 1.4 Fabia) even with all four of us plus cases aboard. Decent space, easy to drive, excellent boot - and at that price, if you don't want it, let me know and we might!
Ford Focus 1400cc - Falkirk Bairn
Sticker pprice of under £4,000 for a 2.5 yr old car and only 16,000 mls

Must have a history, write-off repaired (V form) at that money surely
Ford Focus 1400cc - midlifecrisis
That thought had crossed my mind...I'll be making further enquiries tomorrow.
Ford Focus 1400cc - Brian Tryzers
Makes you wonder, dunnit? Would have been something over £12,000 new, I think.
Ford Focus 1400cc - local yokel
I'd expect a sticker price of around £5,995 for that age/mileage. Check the Autotrader.
Ford Focus 1400cc - Dalglish
Makes you wonder, dunnit?

from the autotrader ad, it looks to me like the trader is a one-man-band operating from home in the birmingham area.
he may work on the basis of fast turnover with a small margin on auction sourced cars.

Would have been something over £12,000 new, I think.

it is not far off the theoretical 66% depreciation generally supposed to apply to 3 year old cars.

Ford Focus 1400cc - cheddar
Fine car, great chassis, very sweet and free revving engine, needs more power hence gruffer though more punchy 2.0 (and to a lesser extent 1.8) is perhaps better than 1.4 and 1.6 though ideal for the kind of use you suggest.

Just seems much, much to cheap so somewhat suspicious.