BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - UncleR
I have noticed people often seem to comment on this forum about oil change frequency (so apologies if this has been done to death: I did search first). My 2 litre petrol BMW has the standard variable servicing indicator but as a general rule under normal driving conditions I think this is around the 15,000 mile mark between services.

So my obvious question is - should I ignore my clever car telling me it doesn't need new oil for another 10,000 miles (even though it's already done 5,000 miles on it's current oil)? It seems an awfully long time to go between oil changes (even fully synthetic). I don't want to waste my money but I do want to look after my car.
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - John S
The general view on this forum is that these longer intervals are probably not a good idea if you're planning to keep the car for a long time. They seem to be dictated by fleet manager requirements to reduce servicing costs, and are not replicated in other markets. As an engineer, I'd be unhappy about 15k oil change intervals, despite the improvements in oils. There's no problem in changing the oil 'early' on a BMW. The service indicator simply computes the service interval by using data on useage (used to be cold starts, engine revs etc, but may now be just total fuel throughput) and changing the oil part way through won't upset it. I used to change the oil on my E36 BMW half way through the service interval.

JS
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - MW
No debate in my view. Synthetic and new filtre at every 6,000. Engine will last years.
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - Ian D
I have a 2002 E46 320d and change the oil myself in between services, so its gets new oil/filter about every 6500 miles and still keeps the stamps in the book for a FSH (done with an independent). I source the approved BMW longlife 01 oil mail order from Opie oils which keeps the price sensible.

If I was only going to keep the car a year or two I wouldn't bother, but as I will keep it for several years I think it is worth it.
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - UncleR
I am planning to keep the car a while so sounds like it's worth changing mid-service interval. Thanks for the responses.
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - turbo11
When I had my E46 320i, I used to find the mileage for me was around 14500/15000 between services.I used to change the oil (mobil 1)& filter at 7500 miles after its service.
BMW E46 Oil Change Frequency - a900ss
I have a 2004 320d that has done 119,000 miles and only had 5 oil changes in all that mileage!!! Of course, it's a company car but it goes back on Friday (new car coming) but I wouldn't want to buy it. when it comes up at auction...

Having said that, I guess that whoever buys the car, will give it a 'haircut' and sell it off at a good profit. A high mileage car, few oil changes, all for the price of an average mileage car....

It does run extremely well but 20-22,000 miles on each oil change... a little excessive if you ask me.