Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - cottontop
Hi all,

Discovered a slow puncture on drivers side rear. Getting it check out at a garage tomorrow but will there be any probs in using the spare. Its been in the back for a few years without use. The pressure is fine but I worry about using it after it being in storage for so long. I'm driving on motorways and can't get the tyre (slow puncture) checked out 1st thing.

Cheers

Rich
Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you have got to use it there is no option! SFAIK the main problem with an 'old' tyre is deterioration caused by U/V radiation, another global warming problem but don't let's go there! If it has been in the back of your car, out of the sun you should be OK. I think I recall 5 years being mentioned for a tyre's life but that is in terms of on the wheel, low mileage and being out of life due to U/V before the tread is worn out. I am sure there will be some other input later on. Drive carefully!
Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - Stuartli
I'm been using my spare tyre permanently on the rear nearside for the past three months - it was six years old, never been used and was merely checked for tyre pressure every month or so (pressure left higher than normal to allow for possible leakage), but has not given any problems since replacing the outgoing tyre.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - Jonathan {p}
I've only every used spares to limp home (max 40mph) or to the nearest tyre place.
You may get away with it, but you should get it checked out first thing, otherwise you (and others) may not get to where you are going. Having a blowout on the motorway is not fun.

Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - Alan
It is worth rotating the spare with the best roadwheel every time you have a new tyre fitted. That way you do not end up with a perished spare tryre with cracked sidewalls as I once did, which I think must have been one of the original tyres on the twelve year old car. It lasted just long enough to reach the tyre depot before it went flat.
Using spare for 1st time in ages (years) - FotheringtonThomas
Discovered a slow puncture on drivers side rear. Getting it
check out at a garage tomorrow but will there be any
probs in using the spare. Its been in the back
for a few years without use. The pressure is fine
but I worry about using it after it being in storage
for so long.

It should be fine unless (possibly) it's a decade or more old. Check that it's still "rubbery" and give it the once-over for "blisters" after a trip.

I had an old Firestone tyre on a "classic" motorbike I used in the late '90s. I know for a fact that it was fitted some time before 1969. It was fine, used it at speeds up to about 75 - but eventually it wore out!