Fiesta Steering Noisy - Ave It
My friend has a Ford Fiesta 1.1 N reg and the steering has become noisy at low speeds. Theres a grinding noise coming from the steering wheel when turning corners.

Would it be the steering rack? Or just a bolt come off somewhere?

I have noticed that theres a small bit of play in the steering wheel when 'wiggling' it from side to side.

Dave
Fiesta Steering Noisy - milkyjoe
Or just a bolt come off somewhere?

just a bolt? blimey
OK milkyjoe, my knowledge of steering isn't great. I was on about a bolt that may hold a clamp in place causing movement in one or some of the steering components.
Fiesta Steering Noisy - bikerider
If the car is fitted with an air bag then it's very likely the noise you are experiencing is the brass contacts on the
back of the clockspring. You can grease the contacts but it's possible the contact pins have worn flat .
Fiesta Steering Noisy - bell boy
also make sure the shaft hasnt slid slightly down to the uj by your feet (the one inside the car)
if it has
battery off (radio code lost?) airbag yes? if not leave battery on
undo cowling
find the two securing bolts under the dash 13mm slacken pull up with the steering wheel retighten
done a few like this over the years
Fiesta Steering Noisy - Pugugly {P}
Could it be the grinding of worn out brake pads...?
Checked the brakes as that is what I thought at first but they look fine.

Will check to see if the column has dropped slightly tonight when I go round there. Is it easy to do?

Also, if it's the brass contacts behind the steering wheel, how easy are they to get to? Stipping a Xantia steering column takes me 20 minutes with airbag and steering wheel (had to do it too many times on my car to get to the dashboard lights!!) but don't know too much about the Fiesta setup. I'm assuming it's pretty much the same as my dad's transit, battery off - airbag out - steering wheel nut off and then 5 hours of intense frustration trying to remove the steering wheel before it's time to go to bed ;-)

Speaking of which, how do you remove a steering wheel that wont budge?
Thanks to everyone for your help. Turned out to be a piece of plastic in the steering surround. Don't know where from or how it got in there but it has been removed and all is fine