Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Skymark
Hey there,

I have around 8.5k to spend and want to buy a reliable, not too embarrassing hatchback :) I want something new so need a few suggestions! What do you guys think?
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - local yokel
Your money, or an employer's? If yours why new?
It's my money. I want something new as I want the vehicle to last me a long time.....I could cope with it being a year old or so...
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Altea Ego
If you are a guy in your thirties, 8.5k on a new hatchback buys you embarrasment. Full stop. If you are in touch with your female side it buys you the old shape clio new
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
If it's your money and you want it to last, I'm afraid it's a Ford Focus. You'll get a year old 1.6 for your budget.

I guess you're right....looked into Japanese cars and they're all awful looking....
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - rogue-trooper
Best car I ever bought was an audi A4 1.9tdi that was 8 years old (59k miles). Prior to that I was looking at the 1-2 year old cars but now realise that there are some real crackers out there that are much older.
Just to cheer you up, SWMBO had a 1.6 2001 Focus - she's had it for 20 months, and after a good clean it looks great, and drives very nicely, no squeaks etc., so with luck your investment will be worth it. I'd suggest looking at a four year old one all the same - about £5k, and still very good cars.
I always promised myself I'd never buy a Ford :)
Suggest you drive Focus, and see if it's worth breaking the promise. It's a good car, seriously.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - movilogo
Mazda 2 new fits into your budget. With some luck, you can even get a year old Mazda 3 (saloon model).

IMO, saloon looks smarter than hatchbacks.
Thanks, will have a look at the Mazda 3!
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Vansboy
OK, not new, but not a banger, either.

Alfa 147.

VB
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - tanvir
New shape astra sport hatch is starting to fall into your budget
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Avant
"I guess you're right....looked into Japanese cars and they're all awful looking"

Are you sure? You could get a new Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX for this price - much liked by those who have them.

Nearly new Fabia is another possibility - only 'embarrassing' in the company of a small minority of troglodytes who still thibk Skodas are sheds.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Lud
the
company of a small minority of troglodytes who still thibk Skodas
are sheds.

Or the overwhelming majority of ignorant muppets who always did.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - sierraman
Indeed,the Rapid lived up to its name,for the time,and certainly did not tolerate poor driving technique.
The new Peugeot 207 is rated by 'what car' and I think it's a pretty good looking vehicle....
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - legacylad
Skymark
''a year or so old''... you say, so have you considered a Seat Leon 20VT? if you have no p/ex I am sure you get get a good one within budget. Try the auctions, and if not confident, use an auction buyer.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback, 20-35, n/s, gsoh, own garage, for cuddles and fun... I refer you to 'there's always one...' thread currently on page 7.
Indeed,the Rapid lived up to its name,for the time,and certainly did
not tolerate poor driving technique.

If you mean it was an evil handling pig that no driving teqnique could ever really safely contain if you tried to push it, then yes you are right.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
If you mean it was an evil handling pig that no
driving teqnique could ever really safely contain

That's pretty rich coming from someone who couldn't cope with a safe understeerer when it really mattered...
handling had nothing to do with it. Everything in my GTA incident was linear.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I was only teasing TVM, but did you ever drive a properly sorted and tuned Estelle? I assure you they were not evil handling at all, although the swing axle ones could take you aback the first time you lifted off in mid-bend... There were a lot of rough examples. People didn't understand that they needed maintenance and they got neglected.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Welliesorter
Another vote for a Fabia. I'm in my 30s and am happy with mine, which I bought new. In this sector of the market the difference in price between new and nearly new isn't massive. A new basic model would be within your budget. There might be discounts as there's a new model on the way. I recently received some junk mail from my local dealer, offering interest-free credit.

As for older Estelles, the sort of people who bought them in the west were the sort of people who'd neglect them. There are plenty of 70s and 80s models still chugging around (but without their original seat fabric) in the Czech Republic.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Nickdm
How about a new Fiat Panda, in a funky colour (orange?) with a huge moonroof or somesuch accessory to finish it off?! 1.3 turbodiesel engine within your budget too...
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - cardriver
Whilst being a Jap car fan (reliability is my number one priority - I'm old so looks don't matter) I have to agree with the fact that those in your price bracket would not do your street cred any good - so my recommendation would be the Focus.
Cheap to buy, run and insure and has a fairly good reliability record.
The Golf is pretty classless & would have some street cred but would not be as reliable as the focus.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - cardriver
Obviously they would not be new by the way - make someone else pay for the depreciation like I never do.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - PhilW
C2??
--
Phil
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Xileno {P}
Old shape Clio - no. New Shape second hand is the one to have - a much better car in many ways. In time the old shape ones will become worthless as the second hand prices of the new model begin to overlap.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Mapmaker
>>Guy in 30s seeks shame-free hatchback

Not possible. Hatch = shame. Coupe = fun.

You boring individual. Sorry, not individual at all, you boring identikit person. ;)

Go buy something interesting and exciting for under £1,000. And join the AA AND the RAC if it makes you feel nervous. Then you can have a tow TO your important meeting AND BACK again.

Audi 90 coupe quattro. Audi 200 quattro. Oh yeah - or what about that ford focus won't that be grrrrrrreat as you'll really pull the birds in that.

Stretch the budgeta bit. MK ii golf GTI. XJ6. MK ii jag MGB???

They'll all drink petrol compared to a new focus. But depreciation will be so much lower that you'll win, hands down. Oh yes... and you'll win on street cred. one hundred fold.
I have to agree with Mapmaker. Get something posh, louche and rough. But expect it to embarrass you sooner or later.

On the other hand, if what you want is reliability, get something that might be embarrassing by definition, but that will work.

What's the matter with you anyway? What's wrong with an embarrassing car? I've had lots and they never embarrassed me. And I'm quite a sensitive person really.
Guy in 30s seeks hatchback - Round The Bend
OP, I see that you drive a 30s at the moment. How does that compare with the suggestions so far?
The decision has been made - a Peugeot 207 it is :)