Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - fallto_pieces
I recently purchased a renault megane 1.4 Rt, with 65k (serviced and 12 months mot). It's been running fine, but today I went to pick a friend up from the airport, and the cars temperature was very high after getting home after about 2 1/2 hours. The temperature light came on, and I stopped the car, and gradually let it cool down to about half enough to get it home. When I checked, there was very little water, and replaced this. I took it for a drive, and the fan was kicking in fine etc, but after it gets over about half the temp, it begins to struggle, i'm not sure the fan kicks in at all. When i checked the water again it appeared to be ok, and i checked the dipstick, the oil appeared normal. I opened the oil filler cap, and it had what looked like a mayonaise substance under the cap-greasy when wiped off. When it's getting too hot, i noticed the heaters inside start to blow out cold air. Another thing, i don't know if it's relevant, but when the engine is warmt the rev's are dropping when idle to roughly 7-5 , as apposed to 10 when you start the engine. Could anybody help me? Do you thin it would just be a matter of the thermostat, or something deeper? Thanks
Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - Big Bad Bob
HI how long ago is recently ?
Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - Collos25
All the symptoms of a blown head gasget.
Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - davemar
I had my head gasket blow on my Megane 1.6 which is essentially the same engine I think (different bore/stroke). I changed it myself, and as HG changes go, it wasn't too difficult, though it is still a biggish job for someone without the tools/time/space.

I also had to replace the heater matrix which suffered as a result of this, and that was more hassle to change as I had to take apart the interior of the car and that took ages. So it's worth looking at that too.

To prevent head gasket failure (or reduce the risk of it happening), it is important to renew the coolant on a regular basis.
Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - fallto_pieces
Thanks for the help, took it to the garage, did a head gasket test and it had gone yes. Is being reapired now by the garage I had it from free of charge thankfully/
Renault Megane 1.4 overheating - Big Bad Bob
thats why i said how long have you had it because i was going to say take it back to them they should do it for nothing